Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Model 3 reveal may not happen before production begins in July 2017, per Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

In the Q1 2017 earnings call, currently going on, Elon stated that the final Model 3 reveal that will show the production version of the car may not happen before production begins in July 2017. He didn't state that with a lot of certainty, there was some hedging, but it sounded to me like the final Model 3 reveal may not be before production begins in July.

The AP2 woes have probably hampered short term demand a bit. They probably don't want to get even more people worked up about the model 3 in Q2. They need people to keep buying their current cars.

In the earnings call Musk as funny dancing around what additional M3 features are still to be revealed.

Reactions: Alketi
For me this is the best news possible. Tesla isn't going to be making a limited dozen units run for the 2nd unveil/2nd stage of road testing then going to production. They're confident with prototype testing the car is reliable enough and that the next big item is actually making hundreds or thousands of cars with normal production methods and finding the sorts of problems that only show up in mass production.

Just reading between the lines, but the message is clear enough.

With over US$ 3 billion in the bank, with GF1 ramping up, Tesla is looking real good.
The only bad news is GF2 (Solar) is 6 months behind schedule, will begin production around year's end.

One would think configurations need to be at least 2 weeks before production just to get them slotted in correctly and finalized payments vs building the initial cars on spec if they are looking at delivery in Q3 (june).

If no West coast Day 1 configurations by early May, would be concerned.
Don't forget that the initial people configuring will be employees so they may well not configure until right before production starts.

Reactions: Krugerrand
One would think configurations need to be at least 2 weeks before production just to get them slotted in correctly and finalized payments vs building the initial cars on spec if they are looking at delivery in Q3 (june).

If no West coast Day 1 configurations by early May, would be concerned.
I would think Employees will get first dibs. So we should likely see something around April, if they leak...

I'm going to go nuts with 4 more months of speculation haha.
I would think Employees will get first dibs. So we should likely see something around April, if they leak...
Yeah, I'd think that there would have to be some sort of reveal event before any configurations, otherwise features would leak. If memory serves me correctly the Model S had a final reveal and then a first delivery event. Perhaps Elon is referring to the first delivery event for July and the comment he made a few months ago about the 3rd reveal being in the spring is still true (I can dream can't I ;))

I'm pleased to hear that the first possibly buggy cars are going to employees. One of my main concerns is getting one of those first problematic cars like what happened with the X.

The 3 is more like the S than the X. No automatic doors, no Falcon Wing Doors. If you aren't an employee or a current Tesla owner, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a buggy Model 3. Even if you do Tesla will make it right.