Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final P85D vs P90D Decision

After reading the description, which of the cars would you buy?

• P85D

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • P90D

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • RS7

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had put a deposit down on a 2015 P85D demo/service vehicle with 12K miles on it for $112K (new $129K). They will put ludicrous in this for $5k additional. It took Tesla a couple weeks to get pictures of the car because they had it in the shop to repair "blemishes" - they ultimately said the bumper had some damage. They did send over pictures and it looks like the car is in good condition.

They also have a 2015 P90D they sent pictures of with a couple (very small) scratches - touchup should be fine to fix with about 5K miles and are offering it for $128K (this has ludicrous). This one also has the 21" wheels vs the P85D has 19".

All prices are without the tax credit.

Which would you go with given the price/mile differences? For giggles I've also been comparing this to a 2016 RS7 that has had my eye for several weeks.

My P85D with all options except (rear facing, cold climate, 21" wheels, and spoiler) was MSRP $122K and ended up being $112K after the tax credits and state rebates. The P85D price sounds like a lousy deal as does the P90D. You could buy a P85D private party with low miles with every possible option for $90K or less.

My P85D with all options except (rear facing, cold climate, 21" wheels, and spoiler) was MSRP $122K and ended up being $112K after the tax credits and state rebates. The P85D price sounds like a lousy deal as does the P90D. You could buy a P85D private party with low miles with every possible option for $90K or less.

The P85D that I'm looking at is $105 after the tax credit and also loaded without rear seats/21". I haven't seen much else out there in the $90s or less - I've largely been looking at ebay/cars.com/autotrader. Should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks for the feedback!

I bought our "inventory" 2015 P85D with 2,900 miles on it for $121k ($12k off $133k list) last July. It was immaculate (had spent most of its time in our local Tesla showroom).

21" wheels in Michigan would definitely be summer ONLY... and still problematic if you have potholes like most Midwest roads (I'm originally from Ohio) so 19" wheels / tires would be a better choice IMHO. If your Tesla comes with 21" wheels you'll probably need to spend another $2,000 for 19" wheels & all-season tires which makes the P85D potentially more attractive unless you can sell your 21" tires & wheels for $2,000.

Ludicrous upgrade is definitely an upgrade... but not sure its worth $5,000 in thrills or resale. P85D is STUPID fast in Insane already... Ludicrous only cuts 0.2 second 0-60 which is where most of the thrills typically happen and are safe.

YMMV

I would go with the car that has the options you want. That is most important. Exterior color, interior color, options etc. I for one am very picky about this sort of thing and it drives me nuts when I hear someone who bought the "wrong car" but "got a great deal". In other words they regretted not getting what they wanted...... Also, depending on the VIN that P85D might have the + suspension. I actively sought this feature out. Our regular 85 is more like a luxury car where our P85D with + suspension is like a sports car. The difference is real and keeps it interesting at our house. :)

I had put a deposit down on a 2015 P85D demo/service vehicle with 12K miles on it for $112K (new $129K). They will put ludicrous in this for $5k additional. It took Tesla a couple weeks to get pictures of the car because they had it in the shop to repair "blemishes" - they ultimately said the bumper had some damage. They did send over pictures and it looks like the car is in good condition.

They also have a 2015 P90D they sent pictures of with a couple (very small) scratches - touchup should be fine to fix with about 5K miles and are offering it for $128K (this has ludicrous). This one also has the 21" wheels vs the P85D has 19".

All prices are without the tax credit.

Which would you go with given the price/mile differences? For giggles I've also been comparing this to a 2016 RS7 that has had my eye for several weeks.
Don't come to a Tesla forum and asks whether you should buy a Tesla or an Audi :)

You should really negotiate for bigger discount for the P85D. Maybe just get a brand new P90D and get exactly the options that you want. Plus, the newer cars have better quality and a new facelift.

I would go with the car that has the options you want. That is most important. Exterior color, interior color, options etc. I for one am very picky about this sort of thing and it drives me nuts when I hear someone who bought the "wrong car" but "got a great deal". In other words they regretted not getting what they wanted...... Also, depending on the VIN that P85D might have the + suspension. I actively sought this feature out. Our regular 85 is more like a luxury car where our P85D with + suspension is like a sports car. The difference is real and keeps it interesting at our house. :)

How do you tell if there is the + suspension?

21" wheels in Michigan would definitely be summer ONLY... and still problematic if you have potholes like most Midwest roads (I'm originally from Ohio) so 19" wheels / tires would be a better choice IMHO. If your Tesla comes with 21" wheels you'll probably need to spend another $2,000 for 19" wheels & all-season tires which makes the P85D potentially more attractive unless you can sell your 21" tires & wheels for $2,000.

Agreed. Roads here are crap - so 19"s are an absolute requirement in the winter.

You should really negotiate for bigger discount for the P85D. Maybe just get a brand new P90D and get exactly the options that you want. Plus, the newer cars have better quality and a new facelift.

I thought you couldn't negotiate w/Tesla on the price?

How do you tell if there is the + suspension?

Agreed. Roads here are crap - so 19"s are an absolute requirement in the winter.

I thought you couldn't negotiate w/Tesla on the price?
Used car price is probably negotiable. Not 100% sure.

I just looked at tesla's website and price a P90D ludicrous. It is around high $110s without options. If you have to pay $128k, why not just order a brand new Tesla with the exact options you want?? looks like a no-brainer to me. Again, you are getting a newer facelift edition if you order new. $1500 more than the previous new car, but you get more standard equipment.

Ludicrous upgrade is definitely an upgrade... but not sure its worth $5,000 in thrills or resale. P85D is STUPID fast in Insane already... Ludicrous only cuts 0.2 second 0-60 which is where most of the thrills typically happen and are safe.

The ludicrous upgrade is between 30-70mph. Where the acceleration used to drop off, it just keeps on going with ludicrous. Another way to think about it, the ludicrous upgrade adds more hp than the P upgrade, for less money.

Ludicrous only cuts 0.2 second 0-60 which is where most of the thrills typically happen and are safe.

If you read through the Ludicrous Scheduling and Ludicrous Review threads, you'll see most people did the upgrade to improve their highway passing speed. I could care or less about a faster 0-60, but I do care about the 0.5 seconds improvement from 70-90 which now puts it on par with the previous M5.

I guess the first thing to decide is whether you care about ludicrous. If not, the P85D makes a ton more sense.

IMHO - I'd just go with the car that has the options/color you like and I'd make sure to get ludicrous. Honestly, if ludicrous isn't important to you I think an 85D makes more sense than either car.

This video gives you a good idea of what a P85D with Ludicrous looks like against an tuned RS7. The first run wasn't great because the driver left Range Mode on. The 2nd run is a good representation. Remember that the P90D is faster...

This video gives you a good idea of what a P85D with Ludicrous looks like against an tuned RS7. The first run wasn't great because the driver left Range Mode on. The 2nd run is a good representation. Remember that the P90D is faster...

Leaving range mode on makes no difference at WOT. We have tons of logs and vbox data acquisitions to prove it.

The most likely factors in the first run were a) his battery probably wasn't at optimal temperature yet, and b) the RS7s intercoolers weren't yet heat soaked.

I was going to get an RS7 before test driving the Tesla. Once the P85D came out I figured I would just do it to cross it off the list. I reserved the Tesla 5 mins after the Test drive and have never looked back. I agree with above though if Ludicrous doesn't speak to you get an 85D brand new. If it does get a P90D brand new. Ludicrous is worth 5k IMO.

I have a P90D with every option but ludicrous, 21" rims, and jump seats. I don't think ludicrous is needed unless you have money to throw away. 21 rims not only are more prone to damage (from rim rash and pot holes) but they provide a rougher ride and significantly less mileage (you also can't rotate them because they are staggered). Plus, when it comes time to changing those tires, they cost 2-3x as much as the Primacy's on the 19" rims.

I have a P90D with every option but ludicrous, 21" rims, and jump seats. I don't think ludicrous is needed unless you have money to throw away. 21 rims not only are more prone to damage (from rim rash and pot holes) but they provide a rougher ride and significantly less mileage (you also can't rotate them because they are staggered). Plus, when it comes time to changing those tires, they cost 2-3x as much as the Primacy's on the 19" rims.

I've made repeated trips to and from work which is a 260 mile round trip with both my 19s and 21s and there is zero difference in wh / mile. surprised me too but it's true.

As far as tire cost, you're way off base. Factory OEM tires for both 19s and 21s at the tirerack:

Factory OEM 19s - Michelin Primacy MXM4 are $279 each
Factory OEM 21s - Continental ExtremeContact DW are $233 each

The Continentals have a lower UTQG by about just enough to offset the price being less expensive making them about the same cost mile / mile. You can also get the Ventus for $184 but I'm not including those because they're not factory.

Curb rash and pothole damage are the only downfalls to getting 21s.

Leaving range mode on makes no difference at WOT. We have tons of logs and vbox data acquisitions to prove it.

The most likely factors in the first run were a) his battery probably wasn't at optimal temperature yet, and b) the RS7s intercoolers weren't yet heat soaked.

I was told by a Tesla Ranger that when you're in a drag race there will be a difference in the available torque when in Range Mode. But who am I to argue with hard data.