TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Final Payment Debit ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikeva, May 19, 2018.

1. mikeva

mikeva Member

For those who has done this already do you know how this works? I'm pretty sure there is a limits on debit cards any issue with making a big payment ? can you pay tesla with a bank draft or with debit at tesla store ? its not really clear how the payment will be processed specially if you decide to pay the whole balance. I would appreciate any information.

2. McCaesar

McCaesar Member

I was told cashier cheque or certificated cheque would work. But I’m also interested in the electronic methods such as as ACH direct debit. Wires are expensive and take 3 days sometimes, and pretty sure the full price would exceed the interac email transfer limits.

3. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

Going to say to you that there is a zero point zero percent chance you will be paying the balance of your car with debit. You probably should be talking to your delivery advisor about this.

4. mikeva

mikeva Member

it says on tesla site that final payment can be paid by debit card...maybe it's for usa only

5. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I will do a bank draft which is equivalent to cashier’s check in US words.

Below is from my delivery notice.

1. Payment can be made either by cashier’s check or electronic payment via your Tesla account. Payment is due upon or prior to delivery.

2. If your financial institution will be remitting payment via wire transfer or by mailing a cashier’s check – please ensure the funds are sent at least three business days prior to your delivery date. This will help ensure the funds have been received by Tesla in time for your schedule delivery.

3. Please note: Vehicles cannot be delivered until funds are received by Tesla”

• Informative x 2
  6. mikeva

mikeva Member

I know you could ask your bank to remove the daily limit for your card for certain amount of time usually 24 hours .

• Informative x 1
  7. clmason

clmason Member

When you arrive at the delivery center you can do an ACH after you inspect your vehicle. I did it this way and the Tesla Rep brought out an Ipad that was setup for the ACH. And ACH is pretty much the same thing as using your Debit Card.

8. mikeva

mikeva Member

did you have to call your bank to remove a daily limit on your card ?

9. mikeva

mikeva Member

I think ACH is for USA its abit different here

10. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

@clmason shows that he's in San Diego. The payment options are different in the USA compared to Canada. Tesla told me the following in email when scheduling my delivery

"You are paying for your Model 3 via Tesla Financing:

1. Payment for any amount not covered by Tesla financing can be made either by cashier’s check or electronic payment via your Tesla account. Payment is due upon or prior to delivery."

I don't see an option in my account for electronic payment, not yet at least. But I'll be paying via a bank draft since I don't want to pay them until I see the car.

• Informative x 1
  11. edyee

edyee Member

I had asked both my ISA and Finance person about paying using credit card.

This is my what ISA said "It’s best to bring a certified cheque or bank draft to cover this amount."

The Financing person said "For the remaining balance due, the bank does require a certified check made payable to Tesla, Inc. We unfortunately cannot accept credit or debit card for the balance."

• Informative x 1
  12. VistaM3B

VistaM3B Member

The response I've got:

Your Total Due at Signing can be paid by certified check, bank draft or wire transfer. If you choose to pay by check, the check can be made payable to Tesla Motors Canada ULC.

• Like x 1