Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

final payment on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be taking delivery for new Model S end of June in Californi. I am aware of all the payment options that Tesla will accept (cashier check, etc).
I will be paying full amt on delivery, beside the std options, just want to know what others have done to maximize benefit (I wish they would have accept credit card, which will give me either a lot of airline miles or even some % cash back).

Thanks in advance for your input

I will be paying full amount on delivery, beside the std options,
just want to know what others have done to maximize benefit
Getting miles would be nice...

I always try to paid cash, but I immediately start an automatic monthly transfer
to a special deposit account like if I was paying loan.

I save the interests and get dividends from whatever investment I choose.

May be I'm old school, but I really think that getting a lease is a real waste of money
as you continually pay for something you never own and don't have anything in the long term.
(unless may be you can deduct your lease from your taxes, or need a car only for a short time,...)
Better to start with something you can afford and start saving, you never know, but this is a personal choice.

Getting miles would be nice...

I always try to paid cash, but I immediately start an automatic monthly transfer
to a special deposit account like if I was paying loan.

I save the interests and get dividends from whatever investment I choose.

May be I'm old school, but I really think that getting a lease is a real waste of money
as you continually pay for something you never own and don't have anything in the long term.
(unless may be you can deduct your lease from your taxes, or need a car only for a short time,...)
Better to start with something you can afford and start saving, you never know, but this is a personal choice.

I'm of the same thought. Can't get myself to take on debt unless it's owed to me. Putting the full amount on a CC would be very nice for the points/miles. Since credit scores means something and interest rates are low, I normally max out the deposit on a CC and get the lowest rate loan. For one, I pay off CC each month so I'm not paying interest and get the points/miles. As for the loan, it's another datapoint for the credit score and depending on the rate and market conditions, I'll either pay it off or pay down the loan until the market takes a turn.

I know there is some sort of service out there that accepts credit cards and then transfers the funds to a merchant that does not accept credit cards (including Tesla). I know that some have used that service for final payment. While I do not recall the name of that service, I do recall that it's fee very likely is more than the value of whatever benefits you might receive. Ain't no free lunch out there to be had.

If you want to pay cash, don't want to commit prior to inspecting the car, and you don't want to go through the trouble (and possible expense) of a cashier's check, consider using ACH. That took all of about five minutes for me, and you can do it from your phone right there at delivery. I'd advise your DS about your intent to do so, of course, to minimize angst.

Reactions: DaddyP713
The paying online (ACH) at Teslamotors.com didn't work for my account (in 2014)... so they said just bring a personal check. Not certified, not bank check. Just a regular old paper check. I asked about this policy at delivery and they just said "we know where to find you." Also, the check didn't clear for a couple of days.

The paying online (ACH) at Teslamotors.com didn't work for my account (in 2014)... so they said just bring a personal check. Not certified, not bank check. Just a regular old paper check. I asked about this policy at delivery and they just said "we know where to find you." Also, the check didn't clear for a couple of days.

Ya, I wrote a personal check as well (just a week ago).

We picked ours up 3 days ago and they told us to just bring our checkbook. Worked for us. The check cleared right away. We used the Tesla financing and got the 1.49% interest loan. Our other car loan is at 2.49% so we are paying it off at about double payments. As soon as it is over then the Tesla is our next loan to pay down early.

thanks, seems I will just pay via personal check.
My intention is to pay with cc then pay off the balance within the month to avoid interest rate.
I have the cash to pay, jusr wondering if I can get some benefits from cc, seems not an option that will benefit over the cost