Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a lot of people drop off their final check at the SC and drive out with the car. In some states where Tesla isn't technically allowed to "sell" cars you have to mail the check to fremont so that you can technically buy the car in california and "pick it up" wherever.

Electronic payment through Tesla's website is the easiest option. As long as you have the account/routing number, you should be able to inspect the car - and then go on the Tesla website and make the electronic payment.

You can wait until you've inspected the car and ready to execute the paperwork. In states like Texas, Tesla may prefer that you step outside of their service center when making the transaction, so there is no appearance that you are purchasing the car while on Tesla property.

I decided to avoid that by submitting the purchase before I started the drive to the Service Center.

In early 2013 for our first Model S - the nearest Service Center was over 1000 miles away - and UPS was going to deliver the car to my front door. At that time, Tesla required final payment before the car left the factory - and that was a big leap of faith...

For our S 100D deliver (in Texas) last month, the experience was much better. Tesla had even made arrangements to accept the sales tax, order the license plates, and do the state inspection. 4 years ago - I had to make extra trips after delivery to do that...