Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final price on Model 3? ...not concerned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that I think it doesn't matter, a few thousand maybe would be acceptable for most folks, but at the same time... $35k to begin with is a lot of coin for a lot of people. Ultimately I wonder if the $35k becomes $40k, whether the total average sales price would increase, or just stay the same as people would order less options, and thats just it for me... the $35k (and accounting for the horrible Canadian dollar) should allow me to get a few sweet options... but I do have a limit I can't surpass and it would be a real shame if I couldn't get most of my wish list (battery, dm, sub zero package, leather and audio upgrade).

Reactions: Falkirk
I would be surprised if the Model 3 was under 3800 lbs. The Gen 1 Volt weighs as much and it appears to be a smaller car. Though the Gen II is lighter it does have a smallish battery.

You lose the engine, engine radiator, exhaust/mani/cat, intake, fuel tank/armor, pump, etc. That allows you to have a 400lb more for battery, or 800+ lb of total battery. To get the performance and range, they are going to want to keep weight down. 3800 is 523lb under the Model S 60 with a 75kWh battery, but the 3 will have about 50 kWh most likely, and should be smaller.

3800lb allows it to be 240lb heavier than the Bolt.

A BMW 330i is 3410lb claimed, but German cars tend to exceed the advertised weight.

Last edited:
And as with any mass produced product, Tesla will have to quickly find and fix issues before production ramp-up.
Yep. I speculate there are far fewer fan boys in the reservation queue, then there was for the Roadster, S, and X. I'm one of the unwashed masses who doesn't need to believe in the 'mission'. Deliver a Model 3 to me with hand scissor trimmed bulk weather stripping and sloppy fit and finish, I'll reject it. Laundry list of repeated problems? I'll lemon law it.

I expect it to be A4, 3-series tight. The masses will too. I could not care less it they meet their quarterly shipment targets.

Last edited:
Reactions: sitter_k
You lose the engine, engine radiator, exhaust/mani/cat, intake, fuel tank/armor, pump, etc. That allows you to have a 400lb more for battery, or 800+ lb of total battery. To get the performance and range, they are going to want to keep weight down. 3800 is 523lb under the Model S 60 with a 75kWh battery, but the 3 will have about 50 kWh most likely, and should be smaller.

3800lb allows it to be 240lb heavier than the Bolt.

A BMW 330i is 3410lb claimed, but German cars tend to exceed the advertised weight.
Yeah but the 3 will use more steel than the S. So that will hurt it in the weight department.

I am inclined to think that many of the Tesla employees some of whom are line workers will want a base model or base with only a few options, this will likely push Tesla to produce base models much earlier in the ramp than previous models. Also as others have mentioned many in the reservation que are not S or X owners and not wealthy.
I stood in line on the 31st and no one around me had ever owned an EV. Several of them were discussing Saving money on gas. I don't think those are model 3 P75DL prospects! More like Base 3 with a couple grand options at most.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Well, I find continuous threads proclaiming that price is no object likely tells the folks who set pricing that raising the base price by 25% won't make any noticable difference in sales. That disturbs me as at least a few people besides myself are stretching to afford a $40+ thousand dollar car. For the money is no object crowd, they can buy a Model S or X if the three doesn't meet their lofty desires.

For me, if the base price goes to $40k and that gets a no-option black car, I will ask for my deposit back. I want to support Tesla, I want to drive electric and I want to be part of the crowd who sends the message to GM, Ford, FCA, etc that we're not interested in their ICE wares. But, I'm not as wealthy as many who brag that price is no object proclaim themseives to be. All else fails, I may be relegated to a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt and restore an old Mustang as I settle into retirement. But, a $45k+ Model 3 ain't happening.

Reactions: Topher
They've done exactly this on all previous launches. Imagine shareholder outrage / lawsuits if they pass up higher margin revenue. Stay tuned.
Imagine the negative press, scathing articles, and upset customers when people start to think that their base model car will never be made.

We'll have to wait and see, I'm thinking that number of reservations and the accelerated production schedule make producing the highly optioned ones first more of a moot point. Then again, I won't be maxing out the options so, some of that is probably wishful thinking :)

Imagine the negative press, scathing articles, and upset customers when people start to think that their base model car will never be made.

We'll have to wait and see, I'm thinking that number of reservations and the accelerated production schedule make producing the highly optioned ones first more of a moot point. Then again, I won't be maxing out the options so, some of that is probably wishful thinking :)
No other tesla was marketed to employees either.