TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Final Questions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ScottChes, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ScottChes

ScottChes Member

I've been lurking for two years and am getting close to pulling the trigger. I have a few considerations that I'd like to share and get some feedback on.
    1. Color. I want some color so Blue or Red. Blue is my favorite color but Red is absolutely gorgeous. The only reason I'm leaning away from Red is that I think it is too obvious and attention-grabbing. Does Red attract too much attention?

2. Protective film. It sounds like a PPF is a good idea though expensive. I think I'm leaning towards a full-body wrap of XPEL Ultimate. I don't obsessively wash my cars so I think this will be a good fit for me, though expensive. I'll probably get it done in Northern Virginia unless someone knows of a good installer in the Hampton Roads or OBX area.

3. All-Glass Roof. I was originally going with the pano but the all glass looks great. I never open my sunroofs so I think this is the right call for me. Are there any downsides to the all-glass?

4. I live in North Carolina and travel as far north as DC. I'm leaning towards getting the subzero package just so I have it though I suspect it's an unnecessary expense. Any thoughts?

5. Premium Upgrades Package. This is one that I'm really struggling with. The power lift gate would be nice but unnecessary (at least for now). The ventilated seats would also be nice (but not really necessary). I don't think I care about the HEPA filters. I'm leaning towards getting it because a car at this price point should have the power lift gate.

6. Battery: Since I travel to DC frequently, I think the 90D is the right size for me.

7. Autopilot. I'm planning on the EAP but not FSD. From my research and reading, this seems like the right call.

8. Service plans. I haven't figured out whether or not to pre-purchase the service plan. Any thoughts?

9. Anything else I should consider?

If anyone has any advice or thoughts, please let me know. Provide me your referral link and, whoever provides the most insightful info, I'll use you for the referral.

2. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

---- Red is better for me between the 2 but that is my preference. I would say the red catches more attention. Whether that is what you are after, only you can answer.

---- It is expensive, but worth it IMO. I see it as saving in the long run because I don't have to spend my time waxing the car every 6 months or so. Or pay someone to do it. Also I can just wash my car as is, no need to rinse off the dust/dirt before using the towel. The film will protect against those dust abrasion. Also it allows me to use my car everywhere. Assuming the other cars don't slam their doors into your car, the film will protect against all those scratches. IF I didn't get the film, I would definitely be more cautious in using my car to go to certain places.

---- If you never use your sunroof, then the all-glass roof is the defacto choice. If I had the option, I would've gotten this option when I got my car. I almost never open it. I am currently just using it as a show piece. As for the heat, I have never had an issue. The tinting is fine but if you ever need more, just get the mesh. It will be a hassle every time you put it on and take it off. I say get the all-glass for more head room and spacious feeling and forego the mesh covering.

---- If saving money is the ultimate goal, I would forego the weather package. Keep in mind the 2 front seats are heated by default without the weather package. The only time when the weather package comes into play is if you have a lot of people and would like to keep them comfortable in the back. The steering wheel heating is nice, but just where gloves and problem solved. Or use the cabin fan blower to warm your hands before unplugging and driving. I have no experience on the heated nozzle or heated windshield in the snowy winter but it might work. But at the end of the day, you might still have to scrap those ice off the windshield anyways if you are in a rush.

---- You are correct there. The only thing worth it in Premium Package is the power lift gate. I would get it just for that. Once you go power lift gate you will not want to go back. It is so convenient. I can take out all the items from the back and just press the FOB to close the lift gate from afar. Also you can set the maximum rise height so if you have a low roof or what not, you can set it. The regular will always rise to max height and that can be a problem for some or in low ceiling mall parking. The LED interior lighting is nice, but not necessary IMO. The rest is just extras I think most can do without.

---- IN the long run you would be better off. Cold weather, wind, rain, fast driving, etc. will sap your battery's energy. There is a lot of discussion on this, but my take it if you can afford it, go for it. You'll be better off down the road if you intend to keep the car forever. But if you are those type that trade in cars every 2-3 years, then get the cheapest and trade up later on.

---- EAP is what people think is realistic. FSD is probably too far off due to regulations and other quirks. And who knows where tesla would be by then or even if Tesla's claim of the current hardware capable of FSD. I would save the money now and if Tesla turns out to speak the truth, pay the extra to get FSD by then.

---- If you plan to drive it a lot, I would forgo the Service plan and pay it as you go in for the service. I am on track to do 20K miles a year and that is when I plan to take in my tesla for service.

---- I would look into inventory vehicles to get the best deal if you don't mind a few miles or someone sitting in your car. Most with low milage are actually in really good shape. Go to the Tesla Gallery to ask for a list of them. The ones online are not complete.

---- Whether you use my referral or not, hope my comments helps.
    Referral | Tesla

3. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I am not a Tesla owner (yet), but the premium package was the first off my list as I just can't justify spending $3500 for features that aren't getting good reviews from other owners and a power liftgate. I agree that a car this expensive should come with it, but you can make that argument about a lot of non-standard features.

4. nagypite

nagypite Member

Red with white seats is stunning. Do you want the attention?

5. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Yes, it is a tough pill to swallow just for the power lift gate. But ultimately you should ask if you will get $3500 worth out of it. Or the pain of opening and closing manually if less than the paying $3500 out of pocket. I completely agree with you that tesla should make this one standard for a car in this price range, but ultimately you are playing by their rules.

6. thimel

thimel Member

4. I love the heated steering wheel I think it makes the subzero package worthwhile. And I live in the SF Bay Area.

I would recommend the prepaid service plan. It reduces the cost of service. While service isn't mandatory, I feel more comfortable getting my car checked out annually since there is so much new technology in it.

7. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Agreed! I currently have a heated steering wheel in my BMW that I paid $350 for and I love it. I can never picture buying another car without it. I live in NY and use it all winter.

8. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I don't use my trunk now but that might change if I get a Tesla and we use it more as a family. My wife has it in her pathfinder and it's a great feature, but I can't see spending $3500 on it.

9. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Hi Scott
    Q1
    If you live in an area where there are few Model S then the car in any colour will attract attention. I was in the same boat when ordering mine and went with Brown as neither the new Blue or Multi Coat Red were available at the time. Go with the colour that makes you happy.
    Q2
    I got protective film added to the front facia, frunk lid and front guards and all have minor rock markings showing that they are doing their job protecting the paint underneath, you can always go back and add more later. I will add the rear bumper when it goes in for its annual detail in a couple of months.
    Q3
    I have the Pano roof and have had no problems with heat transfer in summer or winter. I probably only open it on mild summer days and warm evenings so had the glass roof been available it would have been compelling.
    Q4
    No snow where I live, so no winter package, but I often use the front seat heaters in winter. I rarely wish for any of the other features of the winter package but YMMV.
    Q5
    I use the powered tailgate a lot, it seems odd to buy such a tech laden car and not get all if the tech. It's a personal choice but I have seen a few posts regretting not getting this option as their wife - partner couldn't easily reach the tailgate to close it.
    Q6
    If you do a lot of long distance travel, particularly away from Supercharger routes, then yes but if not the Supercharger distances are generally based on distances achieved by smaller battery cars.
    Q7
    Check with Tesla, but it's my understanding that the hardware is fitted regardless and you can always upgrade later. So no brainer as you can always change your mind later.
    Q8 Keep the money and invest it.
    Anything else
    Make sure you have somewhere at home to park off street and charge your Tesla, whilst it's possible to own one without it's a lot of work. Also, get an electrician in to examine your home electrical system to determine the available capacity for charging and any potential cost, a few people have been caught out needing significant upgrades. Best to know before ordering.
    21 inch wheels look fantastic but are prone to damage to both the tire and wheel plus the the tires even under normal circumstances don't last as long and are multiples of the price of 19 inch tires.
    Prepare to have your life changed by the Tesla ownership experience.

P.S. Referral links are a no-no on this forum, if you choose me, start a conversation and I will send you my referral link.

Good luck

10. f-stop

f-stop Member

I'll give it a shot to offer opinion on some of your items

1. I've had both red and blue cars in the past. I can't say that when I did have a red car years ago that it attracted any more attention (or any speeding tickets). But oddly enough when I was deciding on my Model S a year ago I really liked the red but ruled it out as being too flashy. I guess that's age factoring into my thinking! Was debating mainly between deep blue, and white - ruled out white because white cars in general are way, way too common here, and blue just looks fantastic and is more distinctive IMO. I'm sure you've already searched around the forums for photos but for reference here's one I posted previously with red & blue side by side, plus some others showing blue with grey interior - the best combo, obviously :)

3. All my previous cars had sunroofs which I rarely opened. I chose the pano roof on my S because of how much more open the cockpit feels with it, and the slight extra headroom especially for back seat passengers. If I were to order today, i would probably choose the all-glass roof over the pano roof, since I don't care if it opens. Even though it doesn't get too hot where I live, my previous car's sunroofs let in a lot of heat, so I always had the sunshade closed. So I was worried a bit about that with the pano - but in reality no worries at all because the pano roof seems to block the heat well.

4. I live in probably the mildest part of Canada so our winters generally aren't that cold, so I didn't choose the subzero package. Front seat heaters are standard equipment and that suits me fine, I use them all the time, and more often than not I don't have rear seat passengers anyhow.

5. PUP - this package is a bit different now than when I bought my S. However I chose the premium package mainly for the power liftgate. I don't regret this choice at all, I wouldn't like to do without the power trunk. the handful of other little things (interior accent lighting & finishes etc) do make the car look a bit better (again, might be a bit different in current offering).

6. battery size of course depends on your usage. in my case 70D works out perfectly since I don't drive that far daily, and there's plenty of free public charging in places I frequently visit around town. I'm guessing you're already well aware of EVtripplanner.com and tools like that, to help visualize charging requirements along routes you intend to frequent.

7. I wasn't originally going to buy the AP package, but added it at last minute. I don't regret the decision, AP is very nice for the few longer road trips I take a year. I use auto parallel park all the time. If choosing today, not sure if I would pay for FSD up front since I don't have any confidence our local legislation will allow it any time soon (we still don't even have Uber here). But I would definitely choose AP again.

8. service plan - I bought the 4 year plan mostly for peace of mind and predictability of costs.

hope this helps. feel free to PM me if you need a referral link!

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I went blue with the all glass and love it. No regrets. The glass roof is amazing and everyone has something to say about it. Said yes to the premium package and EAP, no to FSD and service plans. I was on the fence but ultimately sprung for the UHFS as well.

12. ScottChes

ScottChes Member

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry, I didn't realize the referral links were a no-no.

13. Mknac

Mknac Member

Get the red.
    Ppf unnecessary.
    Subzero no
    Premium yes
    Autopilot absolutely
    Premium sound no; unless you want Sirius or you are a dog and can hear frequencies other humans can't. I had and loved Sirius in previous cars for 10 years prior to my MS. I've found I don't miss it. Slacker and Tunein meet my listening needs. (Although I'd to see a few more channels.)

14. ScottChes

ScottChes Member

I saw both the red and blue yesterday and found I liked the blue more. Why do you recommend against PPF?

15. steve841

steve841 Active Member

IMO ...
    1. Red
    2. YES, at least in the form of a bra. Half way up hood and quarter panels and make sure to cover headlights. HIGHLY RECOMMEND
    3. Glass is cool. Pano preferred.
    4. If not a $$ burden, do it.
    5. Yes, dont cheap out on this one or the tech/sound package.
    6. 90D
    7. Meh .. you can always upgrade later and it's not active yet on AP2
    8. You really dont need it. The annual service isnt required.
    9. Get your home squared away with wiring for home charging and use a referral code before the 15th of Jan :)

16. JRMW

JRMW Member

I was between midnight silver and red. (Blue was nixed by the spouse). Thought red was too flashy. Doesn't matter because TESLA is flashy. I'm stopped by people everywhere who ask about the car. Thus don't worry about being flashy. Get the color YOU like. I personally love midnight silver, blue, and red. But black is nice too.

If you do road trips, the #1 most important upgrade is battery, by far. I NEVER travel by car, so a 60D is perfect for me. But seeing what winter does to range? I'd go higher if I traveled by car

I have all glass roof and love it. Last 2 cars had sunroof. I never opened it! I think all glass roof is a looker. To be fair, you don't see much of it from drivers seat. But it'll wow any back seat passengers and gives way more head room.

I'm in MN so subzero is mandatory. However I LOVE the warmed steering wheel and use it even in moderate temps. (40'S).

I went back and forth on premium. My last car had power lift back. But it was slow and I found it annoying. I've heard Model S is faster and better.I didn't want th Alcantara leather on the Dashboard (harder to clean IMO). In the end I couldn't justify $3500 on a power lift that I might not use. That said, non premium lighting in trunk sucks. It's the worst lighting I've ever seen in a car built in the West. (On par with 1970 East German cars)

I, like many, got EAP but not FSD.
    without EAP you can't even get collision warning or TACC
    Thus EAP for me.

17. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

My opinion...
    Red is amazing.
    Sound, PIP, and cold weather pkg can all be easily skipped if you want to save the $. Spend the money on the battery size. Textile seats are also very good quality if you want to further save $.
    All glass roof for sure.
    EAP for sure, wait on the FSD.
    If you are keeping long term, protect the bumper and hood, nothing else on the car chips compared to these areas.

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

1. Blue is the only real option.
    2. If you are planning on keeping the car for a long time and you care about the condition of the paint, go for it. I had the entire front end and the "A" pillar/roof sections done.
    3. If I would have had the option for the all glass vs pano, I would had picked all glass; it's that much better.
    4. Skip it.
    5. The power lift gate is nice, but the HEPA filter has been one of my favorite options that I originally did not even have an opinion about; it works that well. Don't forget that you also get material upgrades on the interior with that option.
    6. The bigger the better.
    7. You can always add either of those things later if you don't buy now but I do recommend EAP as a minimum.
    8. Invest the money for the pre paid service plan and you will come out ahead.

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  20. Mknac

Mknac Member

I just think it is a waste of money. It's a car, drive it and enjoy it. Eventually some jerk is going to dent the side opening their door in a parking lot no matter how hard you try to safely park.

Tesla has some of best paint and sealant. I have had my MS five months no scratches on the front due to road debris etc.

• Informative x 1