Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just think it is a waste of money. It's a car, drive it and enjoy it. Eventually some jerk is going to dent the side opening their door in a parking lot no matter how hard you try to safely park.

Tesla has some of best paint and sealant. I have had my MS five months no scratches on the front due to road debris etc.
Actually, if you ask any detailer, the Tesla paint is very soft because of the strict environmental laws on California. Tesla cannot use the higher VoC paint and processes that other manufacturers use so the paint ends up a bit softer.

Reactions: croman
Interesting that you're in NoVA, may want blue, and may wrap with xPel. I am in NoVA, have blue, and wrapped with xPel (Stealth) and just posted pics here: Model S - Deep Blue Metallic w/Stealth Wrap

1. I got blue but was considering red. Went with blue to save a few bucks and also because my prior car was red.
  2. xPel wrap is expensive but IMO should be worth it if you're going to have the car for a long time. You should also consider getting a ceramic coating on top. Check my thread linked prior for more info on what I got and where I got it done, and what it looks like!
  3. I got the pano but the all-glass roof wasn't an option at the time (October '16). I'd probably still get the pano, but it would be a close call. The all glass roof is pretty cool, though I haven't seen it in person.
  4. Again, I'm in NoVA and didn't get the sub-zero package because you get front heated seats by default anyway, and you can (and should) preheat the car. The heated wipers were the only thing that had me almost ordering that package.
  5. I got the performance package but was also on the fence. I ordered before perforated seats were an option (I didn't get a performance version), but I like the interior/exterior lighting upgrades and the power liftgate.
  6. I got the 60D which is "the best value", Do some calculations and see how much time the 90D would shave off of your charging time on your normal route up north.
  7. I got EAP but not self driving, I will upgrade later.
  8. I did not pre-purchase the service plans, and I think you can do it after you buy the car, too.
  9. Make a USB stick with your favorite music (a range of different types) and go try standard audio vs. premium audio. Make sure they let you try a car with literal standard audio, and not a premium audio car with Dolby disabled -- it's not the same. I sat in each car for maybe 10 minutes and played the same songs while messing with the EQ. In the end I got the premium audio because the upgraded amp and added subwoofer made a very noticeable difference.
Good luck!

1. Color. Go with the Blue - it looks way better than the red. Even though there may be no data to support it, it feels as if red cars are pulled over more often than the other colors.

2. Protective film. If you can afford it, the full body wrap sounds great - you can change the way the car looks and can go back to stock at any time. After eight months, my black S has some scratches, but I believe they can all be removed with good automotive detail, so you could save your money.

3. All-Glass Roof. I have the Pano roof and love it - but I like to open it when the weather permits. I have seen the all glass and it is fully tinted and makes it so that if you are tall, you have more headroom. In your case, I think you should go with the all-glass roof.

4. Subzero package. The only thing I miss from my Nissan Leaf is the heated steering wheel (yes, even in Southern California) - I think the package is worth it and I always include this package when I am building out my future Tesla. You may go to the mountains someday and in that situation, you will be glad you went with the package.

5. Premium Upgrades Package. I love this package. I have an X and an S and they both have the power lift gate. The ability to cool the seats is a bonus when you are traveling in very hot climates. You never know - you may have to travel through California or Arizona in the future. I always include this package when doing my future builds.

6. Battery. If you can afford it, yes, the 90D is the best - 294 EPA miles versus 259 for the 75D. I have an 85 S with 265 miles and it has come in handy in a couple of supercharger to supercharger trips. Having more range also means that your battery should charge quicker making your supercharger stops take less time.

7. Autopilot. When I am building my future builds, I do not choose any of these options as you can add them later. The other packages cannot be added later. The package you are leaning towards is a good one, however and you can save a thousand dollars by getting it upfront.

8. Service plans. Service plans are a waste of money. My S is out of warranty (except for the 8 year unlimited mile warranty) and I have had 0 issues outside of a drive train replaced under warranty.

9. Anything else I should consider? Get the 19" wheels (stock). If you want to upgrade, go after market. The 19" wheels ride better and do better with potholes. My business partner has 21" wheels and he has not been able to drive for the past couple of weeks as his tires will not hold air after hitting a major pothole.

You can PM me for the referral code - I would be ecstatic if you chose me!

Brent

• Helpful
Reactions: Kcharwood
All. thanks for the input; the deed is done! Model S reserved.
Here's what I ended up with:
Blue - I had originally ordered red but when I saw the blue and red in the parking lot, I changed to blue. It just looked great to me.
All-glass - They had one in the parking lot and it looked great. I would probably rarely use the pano and I'll be glad to get rid of the extra mechanics.
Premium and Cold weather - I don't think I need them but they on my car. Because I'm married.
90D - I got a ride in a P100D and it was mind-altering. But I only have one kidney to sell...
EAP - No full self driving but I'll have the option to get it.
19" wheels
No decision yet on the service plan. I probably will skip them and just pay as I go. I doubt I'll use all of the services so it'll probably be a wash.
XPEL - Still TBD. Strongly leaning towards doing it.

Thanks again for the advice an I'm really looking forward to joining the family. I did use a referral code from this thread; I wish I could have used them all. Sorry for mentioning this verboten topic again.