Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final report on Autopilot issued by @NHTSAgov & feature names (X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes... a summation is also on TESLARATI.com I found it enlightening that NHTSA and Telarati distinguished the various systems that make up "AutoPilot" -- Emergency Braking, Lane Keeping, Lane Departure and Traffic Aware CC. This demonstrated an understanding of the systems they were investigating. In the report, they also applauded Tesla Engineers for trying to anticipate the Owners' potential misuses of the system as well as building in responses. Often as we would like Tesla to move forward more quickly, but the realization is Tesla must be prudent, and anticipate a wide range of drivers habits and failures. NHTSA also pointed out that Tesla safety improved 40% with AutoPilot.

Worth the read!

Overall the report improved my opinion of the NHTSA. The first impression I had formed when I heard they were investigating was a negative one. But the report itself is very thoughtfully written, technical, and thoroughly researched. It references a lot of previous work they've done, and even shows some experiments they ran themselves (against a Mercedes C300) rather than just taking at face value everything a manufacturer says about what the system will do.

Reactions: DriverOne
Some interesting tidbits, too. Apparently using a turn signal or the TACC stalk resets the nag time counters. They also mentioned IPSO (In Path Stationary Object) braking as deployed, but not the whitelist.

I was also interested to see the coverage map, very different from the Tesla image, showing two zones of Ultrasound on each side of the car reaching much further than the rest of the ultrasound and presumably corresponding to the two indications on the instrument panel.