Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally 120KW Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly don't know. But with my S60 getting >100kW and the gentleman with the 85 getting about 117kW Woodburn clearly has been updated. I thought Springfield and Grants Pass were 120kW from the get go...
So I wonder why you topped out at 90kW.

So your saying your 60 is getting more then 90kW (I saw 92), how much higher are we talking about? Or did I miss it in this thread?

I stopped by Woodburn this weekend and this was the best I could do at midnight with no one else charging and temps in the low 40's. I got a shade over 89kW. Anyone in a P85/S85 with proof that they got more than 90kW at Woodburn?

IMG_0543.PNG

I stopped by Woodburn this weekend and this was the best I could do at midnight with no one else charging and temps in the low 40's. I got a shade over 89kW. Anyone in a P85/S85 with proof that they got more than 90kW at Woodburn?

How old is your car? All I got at Silverthorne was 90 kW and 250 Amps. It seems that 120 kW chargers are limited to 333 Amps which makes sense. I'm wondering if some of the older cars, mine is Signature #37, can only do 90 kW.

Has anyone with a Signature or older production model gotten more than 90 kW?

In reality, I am not too worried. It looks like the charge taper starts somewhere around 40%, about 100 miles for an 85. At 120 kW (400 mph), 100 miles takes 15 minutes. At 90 kW (300 mph), 100 miles takes 20 minutes. At 100 miles in an 85, or shortly after, the taper brings the charge rate to less than 90 kW anyway.

This means that the difference in charge time between a 120 kW limit and a 90 kW limit is only 5 minutes or so, even if you start at 0 miles! If you start with more than 100 miles there is no difference in charge time between a 90 and 120 kW charge limit!

In reality, I am not too worried. It looks like the charge taper starts somewhere around 40%, about 100 miles for an 85. At 120 kW (400 mph), 100 miles takes 15 minutes. At 90 kW (300 mph), 100 miles takes 20 minutes. At 100 miles in an 85, or shortly after, the taper brings the charge rate to less than 90 kW anyway.

This means that the difference in charge time between a 120 kW limit and a 90 kW limit is only 5 minutes or so, even if you start at 0 miles! If you start with more than 100 miles there is no difference in charge time between a 90 and 120 kW charge limit!
Look at the detailed data and analysis that I posted in #49 on this thread. You are spot on. It really makes no difference. It is mostly a marketing statement that makes it sound like you get 33% more. The real life impact is almost negligible.

How old is your car? All I got at Silverthorne was 90 kW and 250 Amps. It seems that 120 kW chargers are limited to 333 Amps which makes sense. I'm wondering if some of the older cars, mine is Signature #37, can only do 90 kW.

Has anyone with a Signature or older production model gotten more than 90 kW?

I have the same problem. I have a call into Tesla about it. Will see if it's fixed when I hit the Burlington, NC SC this coming Saturday.

Got to try the new Glen Allen, VA superchargers today, I hit 122KWh as well... was getting 432mi/hr of charge at peak:

IMG_20131128_144204_711.jpg

Impressive....

Unfortunately it appears that charger #1 was out of service (affecting bays 1A and 1B), so I used the second bay. The car would report that there was a cable plugged in but indicated a charger fault. We called it in to the Tesla customer service number posted on the cable unit, and they were there on the holiday and thanked us for letting them know.

ON EDIT: I forgot to mention initially: when the car started charging, it ramped up quickly to 90KWh, and then leveled there for 30-45 seconds... I was initially disappointed thinking that perhaps I wasn't going to get the higher power charging despite have a v5.8 car and the SuperChargers being very new. But then it climbed up to the the 122KWh level seen above.

Last edited:
I charged at Hawethorne last night vin 88xx if I remember correctly and it was 120kw once the other guy left. Interesting it was taking about 23secs to get 1 Mile after 180 miles. I was bored and using my stopwatch. That number jumped to 35secs around 220.

I spoke to Tesla supercharger support today. The first guy told me almost all the chargers are upgraded to 120. The second guy told me none of the chargers are upgraded. Figures.
Yep, it figures. Tesla does need some work in this area.

I really hate it when any customer support person makes a 'best guess' choice. I applaud those that say they don't know, or aren't sure, but they will try to find out.

I spoke to Tesla supercharger support today. The first guy told me almost all the chargers are upgraded to 120. The second guy told me none of the chargers are upgraded. Figures.

I know for a fact that all CA superchargers were installed at 120 or have been upgraded. I would imagine the same is true for the Pacific NW corridor. The only question now is whether the hardware/software config of the older VINs support 120.

Were you able to get 120 today? It'd be curious if Sigs don't support the higher supercharge rate. I'll be calling my SvC on Monday if that's the case so they can do the upgrade.

Here is a plot of my Sig #37 charging at Siverthorne. The data are from two charging sessions. Boulder to Pagosa, I get to Silverthorne with plenty of charge, but need to do a range charge to make it to Pagosa. Pagosa to Boulder, I do a range charge in Pagosa, and arrive in Silverthorne with low miles in the battery. The State of Charge (miles) is in rated miles, and the Rate (mph) is Volts * Amps / 300 W-hr/mi. The discontinuity just after 0:45 is where I tried to put the two sets of data together.

Notice that charge rate goes below about 90 kW (300 mph) at about 100 miles SOC. As I have said before the time difference to get from 0 to 100 with 90 and 120 kW is only about 5 minutes. With that, this curve is close to the "ideal" curve on the Tesla web page, but a little slower. Also, with the taper starting at 100 miles and down to less than 150 mph at 200 miles SOC, there is no way to get 200 miles in 30 minutes as the Tesla web page claims. It seems to be more like 35-40 minutes to me with the taper. Close, but no cigar.

Silverthorne Charging.png