TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Finally, a Tesla killer from MB!

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Tiger, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

• Funny x 1
  2. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

less drag, such wow, much aero, such unimpressed

• Funny x 1
  3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

It is a nice looking car. Bet they sell a ton of them.

If is is the same size as the Model 3 and has the same cross section tire, then the aero benefit is real.
    If is is a smaller car or has smaller wheels, then it is just fake news in comparison.

Also calling a ICE car with low CD a Tesla Killer is more fake news. Tesla electric drive is it's crowning glory. Mercedes uses an old fashioned gas motor with multi speed automatic transmission. Few will cross shop.

• Like x 1
  5. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#5 SMAlset, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    I'm not a fan of Mercedes giant emblem on the front of their cars and trucks. To me it tries too hard to say I'm a Mercedes like that's going to impress someone. Maybe back several decades ago it did but even then the hood ornament wasn't a big honking symbol there. Much more tasteful. The lines of the car are okay but looks like a car my dad would have picked out to drive.

We finally ordered our AWD Model 3, a second family car for us, and wouldn't think of driving a gas vehicle again so ultimately would have had no interest in this Benz even if we hadn't placed our order yet.

6. voyager

voyager Member

Ah, c'mon. Mercedes has dialed it down quite a bit. Used to be like this:

[​IMG]

7. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

You are joking about the current ones down-sized aren’t you?! Those above in the photo are pretty descreet IMO. Don’t recall 2 emblems on the old cars. Maybe one embedded so if someone was going around stealing hood emblems (big back in the late 70s-80s) the car would still show it was a benz.

After seeing this photo check out the front emblem size on the car this thread started. The MB service trucks someone on our general neighborhood parks outside his house probably can be seen a mile away.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I wonder if the trend to boxes will manufacturers to push harder on sedan efficiency.

10. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

Looks like a Mustang front end..

11. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Something about this side shot reminds me of the later/st version of the WRX sedan. I no longer care about them. Or some Mitsu EVO (which I never owned or cared for). Anyway, seems a not-Merc-like design to me.

• Like x 1
  12. voyager

voyager Member

13. skitown

• Funny x 2
  14. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Yeah it does rather feel a bit Mitsubishi met Lexus doesn't it?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  15. Brando

Brando Active Member

Can you trust Mercedes? well try a google search:
    dieselgate Mercedes

aerodynamic Cd is not a calculation. Only found by doing actual tests in a wind tunnel.
    Shape Effects on Drag

So color me skeptical of Mercedes claimed Cd of A Class. We may get an idea when we see range of electric version.

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Add this to the list of cheats... https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/publications/2013 02 RWE Executive summary_final.pdf

When the road load test procedures were drafted 30 years ago, no-one expected car-makers to adjust the brakes, pump up the tyres, and tape up all the cracks around the doors and windows to reduce the air and rolling resistance. These practices are now commonplace, with testing facilities being paid to optimise the results of the tests. There is no evidence that carmakers are breaking any formal rules - but they don’t need to - the current test procedures are so lax there is ample opportunity to massage the test results

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I don't know about you but every time I head out, I tape up all the cracks around doors and windows. (It is tricky crawling into the car through the window but it can be done.) /s

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  18. skitown

I was about ready to reply to @FlatSix911 with the same smart-ass reply when I read yours! Great minds....o_O

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1