Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY an answer to the front plate problem, Hide that plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, like many of you REFUSE to drill ugly holes in the front of my car (when it arrives), and frankly the ugly plate is an eyesore. I have been searching and searching and FINALLY found an answer

http://www.hidetheplate.com

With this you could either flip the switch when stopped/parked and/or for "correctable violation" tickets.

NOTE: I have no relationship whatsoever with this website or product

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty cool and convenient but I have yet to run into a Model S here in San Diego where I've seen front plates. I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket. I bought the J-bolts from Home Depot and that is a simple solution without drilling holes. It looks ok but it would be a bit of a hassle if you wanted to unscrew them off and put them back on. But probably worth it for those that are going to cities where enforcement is stricter. For example, I heard about LAX being hardcore about enforcement.

I'd love to hear of any Model S owners go ahead and buy and install this electric license plate holder. Looks pretty cool.

I'm going to order these suction cup things. Not to affix the front plate for everyday use (too much risk of falling off on the road), but to use when parked at an airport or downtown or someplace where I risk getting the fix-it ticket. It will will come in handy when I eventually do get that ticket so I can get it signed off by a police officer. Reviews seem to indicate it'll stick pretty well. Anyway, I'll let y'all know if it works or if I've wasted $5 on the experiment.

I'm going to order these suction cup things. Not to affix the front plate for everyday use (too much risk of falling off on the road), but to use when parked at an airport or downtown or someplace where I risk getting the fix-it ticket. It will will come in handy when I eventually do get that ticket so I can get it signed off by a police officer. Reviews seem to indicate it'll stick pretty well. Anyway, I'll let y'all know if it works or if I've wasted $5 on the experiment.

Wouldn't it be easier and safer to just use zip ties that you can use when you need them and then cut off when you want to take it off?

8 Plastic Cable Zip Ties 100-Pack (Black) - Amazon.com

I mean if you're going with some temporary and super quick solution for certain situations.

Wouldn't it be easier and safer to just use zip ties that you can use when you need them and then cut off when you want to take it off?

8 Plastic Cable Zip Ties 100-Pack (Black) - Amazon.com

I mean if you're going with some temporary and super quick solution for certain situations.

Maybe. How long does it take to zip-tie the plate on? The suction cups are meant to be a 5-second solution when I find myself in need of some front-plate insurance while parked. The idea is to avoid fiddling with anything that'll take long or require any precision (or difficult to do at night without good light).

But I don't even know if the suction cups will work or if the nose cone on the MS is too curved for all four corners to stick at the same time. I'll let you know, you might be right and I'll have to go for the zip ties instead.

Maybe. How long does it take to zip-tie the plate on? The suction cups are meant to be a 5-second solution when I find myself in need of some front-plate insurance while parked. The idea is to avoid fiddling with anything that'll take long or require any precision (or difficult to do at night without good light).

But I don't even know if the suction cups will work or if the nose cone on the MS is too curved for all four corners to stick at the same time. I'll let you know, you might be right and I'll have to go for the zip ties instead.

The zip tie option wouldn't take long at all since you just stick it through and pull. I guess the trick is to get a zip tie that isn't too short or it could get awkward in the grill. Then just keep a pair of sharp scissors I guess to cut off the excess zip tie.

But I don't think it would take long at all. I practiced putting in the J-bolt and that does take a few minutes to find the best grill spots but you can mark the best grill spots with a piece of marking tape so you know where exactly to put it in and out.

I still can't decide if I want to keep the front license plate on all the time. My wife just told me the plates came yesterday in the mail. I didn't see them. My car is in service but I guess you have 60 days in CA from the time you bought the car to put them on. So maybe I'll just wait. I ordered vanity plates that I'm waiting on anyway and my HOV stickers didn't come yet anyway.

I have been driving in the HOV lane without the stickers and I've passed cops 3 times on I-15 and I-5 and I didn't have anyone else in the car and they never pulled me over. I figure every cop knows a Model S by now. One even gave me a wave.

I did see a Model S in Del Mar today parked in front of the Poseidon restaurant that had the ugly HOV stickers on them.