Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, automatic steering wheel access mode coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to "Teslarati", Elon has tweeted that a software update will soon give all Teslas the feature of automatic steering wheel and seats adjusting for easy ingress/egress as soon as the car is put in "park".
Tesla Model S, X and 3 will get an easy-entry/exit function in future software release

Should have had it all along as most high end cars do, but getting it soon via over-the-air upgrade will be super!

Mods, I couldn't find another thread about this through search, but if it is a duplicate, please feel free to fold it into an existing one.

Webmaster: Please, please, please give us a forum common to all Tesla cars. There are lots of software, regen, battery, etc. issues that apply to all three models, but posters still can only post to one model forum.

Are you sure it applies to all vehicles, or only the new Tesla seats (the ones with power headrest)? Then again, it may not matter - Elon tweets a lot of things that never materialize.

Here it is, in response to a tweet asking for the feature:

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

Good point. We will add that to all cars in one of the upcoming software releases.

6:11 PM - Aug 18, 2017

Seems like plain language to me, except for when "upcoming" might mean. o_O

Just checked my calendar. Can't find a month named "upcoming". Kind of silly to have a news story about something that might happen someday, especially from a source known for not delivering on much more concrete promises.

As a workaround, I added a driver named Access that has the seat all the way back and the steering wheel up. When I'm ready to exit the vehicle I just select "him" as the driver.

If you need this, it's a good feature to have perhaps. But I've never had a car where the seats moved quickly enough for this to be that useful. Do the seat motors move any more quickly on a Tesla? Seriously, other cars are so slow, I'd rather squeeze out than wait for the seat to move back. They are made for fine adjustment of the seat(s), not for quick egress....

Reactions: pilotSteve
According to "Teslarati", Elon has tweeted that a software update will soon give all Teslas the feature of automatic steering wheel and seats adjusting for easy ingress/egress as soon as the car is put in "park".
Tesla Model S, X and 3 will get an easy-entry/exit function in future software release

Should have had it all along as most high end cars do, but getting it soon via over-the-air upgrade will be super!

Mods, I couldn't find another thread about this through search, but if it is a duplicate, please feel free to fold it into an existing one.

Webmaster: Please, please, please give us a forum common to all Tesla cars. There are lots of software, regen, battery, etc. issues that apply to all three models, but posters still can only post to one model forum.
YES!
It kills me that X and S are split, when 99.99% of all posts apply equally to either car.

If you need this, it's a good feature to have perhaps. But I've never had a car where the seats moved quickly enough for this to be that useful. Do the seat motors move any more quickly on a Tesla? Seriously, other cars are so slow, I'd rather squeeze out than wait for the seat to move back. They are made for fine adjustment of the seat(s), not for quick egress....
It depends on two variables: laziness and patience.
I'm both lazy and patient, so I welcome this feature...

FWIW, this feature request was tweeted to Elon several months ago and he had the same response - that it's a good idea and will be in a SW update soon. I want to say I remember that tweet around Feb/March 2017.

The problem has actually been the activation factor. My Lexus had it as well...but the key was that when you turned the car off, seat slid back and wheel moved up in preparation for you to get out. When you got in the car and turned it on, seat slid forward and wheel moved down so that all was in position by the time you were ready to put car in Drive and start moving. With the Tesla, we don't have an "On" or "Off" switch, so what become the triggers? One trigger might be putting the car in park (exit mode). Driving mode could be activated when you step on the brake pedal to turn the car "on". We absolutely do not want to have it tied to putting the car in "D" or "R" as having the seat move while the car is in gear is just an accident waiting to happen...

Reactions: pilotSteve
The problem has actually been the activation factor. My Lexus had it as well...but the key was that when you turned the car off, seat slid back and wheel moved up in preparation for you to get out. When you got in the car and turned it on, seat slid forward and wheel moved down so that all was in position by the time you were ready to put car in Drive and start moving. With the Tesla, we don't have an "On" or "Off" switch, so what become the triggers? One trigger might be putting the car in park (exit mode). Driving mode could be activated when you step on the brake pedal to turn the car "on". We absolutely do not want to have it tied to putting the car in "D" or "R" as having the seat move while the car is in gear is just an accident waiting to happen...
Good point!

Having it operate automatically sounds good, but
  • what if you have a tall passenger behind you?
  • what if you have put something on the floor?
  • as pointed out already, what are the triggers when you don't have an ignition switch?
  • since Tesla haven't figured out how to handle key profiles reliably, what happens when wrong profile is triggered?
I'd really like this, but am not really optimistic it would work. Manual profile access seems the only realistic option :(

Reactions: CalBlue 85D