Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally did it! sold my BMW...new to the forums, need advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I've gone through 3 bmws, (3/5 series), must have gone through 10s of thousands worth of gas and maintenance. I test drove the S not too long ago, but the process of selling, and buying a new car turned me off. Recently got into an accident and said f it, just sold my car, but here where the dilemma arises...do I A. Reserve an X and wait til summer 2016, or even later. B. Buy the S now, C. like many others have said, wait til technology from the X starts trickling down to the S. What bothers me the most is that the body of the S has not changed since its release. Are there any plans to change it's body in the future? I don't want to buy a 2016, only to have the body change in 2017.......What would YOU do?

Don

Body change should be the least of your worries, imo. I highly doubt that happens before the 3 is released.

I'd get the S now, unless you want the X (But I'd be surprised if you got it before November next year...that's a long wait)

The X delivered no meaningful upgrades vs. current S. Many folks were worried about 360 degree cameras, Autopilot 2.0, new dash layout etc. The only thing that will likely be added is ventilated seats. And I don't like the new front of the X, so I would jump on the current S.

Lease. Do something short term until you decide what you'll be happy with. The cars will just improve in the meantime.

I can totally relate to what you are thinking/feeling. I have just let go of the fact that the second I buy anything tech related, that it will be obsolete immediately. The awesome thing about my Tesla is that she gets reinvented about every six months or so. Yes, it will become totally yesterday at some point. But I think I have a good five years before I start to think that she's getting old in the tooth.

And I am lucky. I do have all the AutoPilot coolness.

Love it!

I was coming off an M5 and then an S4 and I got the P85D last march, I have never been happier. With how slow Tesla is there is no way the S is getting an exterior redesign until after the 3 is done especially because the S is selling so well and the D has really taken off. Getting to drive this thing daily is a pleasure and I am really glad I didn't wait even though I have 3g and an 85 not a 90.

I sold my 535i (Dinan Stage One) to get a P85D and I couldn't be happier. You will miss the sporty feeling of BMW - they really have the driving dynamics thing nailed. Other than that, Tesla has them beat.

I wouldn't wait. There will always be something right around the corner so waiting could be an endless process. You'll love the car so by waiting all you are doing is missing out.

Long time BMW guy here and I have not missed them one bit.
If you prefer the M type suspensions, go find a secondary market (non-CPO) P85+. You will not have second generation seats but it is otherwise a very good value. The CPO program tends to cap used values which should make a private sale purchase more attractive. I'm not sure the CPO will add much if anything for you, especially if you will be a short term (a year or two) owner.

If it helps to have the perspective of another BMW owner: My husband currently drives a 750i and, until I got my MS 70D almost 2 months ago, used to talk about how much he loved his car, couldn't wait to drive it, etc. Ever since we got the Model S, all he wants to do is drive my car, and mine is only the 'baby' Tesla. It took him all of about 3 weeks before he was completely converted and ordered his 90D. He said he would get in his BMW and wonder why the accelerator didn't immediately respond, and find himself doing burnouts accidentally. Too funny! He works in tech and so is very well connected with the idea of obsolescence, and so considered waiting for more advancements for like a hot second, but ultimately the joy of driving the MS now won out. His new baby should be delivered in about a week and a half and he can hardly wait. He actually flew to the factory earlier this week in the hopes that he could catch a glimpse of it being built while on the tour. He's that excited.

We both decided to lease (we'd never leased before) so that in a few years it will be easy to slide into whatever new fun thing Tesla will offer at that time, and that seems like the best of both worlds to us. Joy now, AND joy later!

If it were me, I'd take the plunge and either lease or buy CPO! If you've driven MS and loved it, I can't imagine you'll regret it, no matter what comes next. Drool over new tech as it emerges? Probably, but surely no regrets. It's an amazing car and fun, fun, fun!

Long time BMW guy here and I have not missed them one bit.
If you prefer the M type suspensions, go find a secondary market (non-CPO) P85+. You will not have second generation seats but it is otherwise a very good value. The CPO program tends to cap used values which should make a private sale purchase more attractive. I'm not sure the CPO will add much if anything for you, especially if you will be a short term (a year or two) owner.
How hard would it be to sell the S with no warranty?
CPO's come with a fresh 4 years, whereas if OP buys a used 2013 model, he only has 2 years left.