Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally did it! sold my BMW...new to the forums, need advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EldsBfQ.jpg

That is one beautifully sculpted body, a facelift wouldn't make me regret getting the "old" body one bit

Get the S now! X's aren't coming for a little while...

In your position, you need car.. so get one.

Buy a used P85D off one of those whiners who are complaining it can't deliver the claimed horsepower.

Or buy a new one of your choice. But get one BEFORE they change the nose style if they decide to revamp the looks.

This car's style is aging well, and it's looks will become "classic" before it becomes "old". IMHO

..OH! and congratulations on taking the electric leap!

Long time BMW guy here and I have not missed them one bit.
If you prefer the M type suspensions, go find a secondary market (non-CPO) P85+. You will not have second generation seats but it is otherwise a very good value. The CPO program tends to cap used values which should make a private sale purchase more attractive. I'm not sure the CPO will add much if anything for you, especially if you will be a short term (a year or two) owner.

^ This. The + is much closer to BMW suspension than non-plus.

@OP: I ended up taking the short term view of "dipping my toe in the water", and in the end buying a 60 for cash I felt I could "gamble" (bear in mind I'm in the UK and I still had concerns at the time it might not be a desirable car come resale given our infrastructure and Tesla's immaturity in the market).

TBH I'm really happy with every aspect (even the 0-60 and hp figures ;) ) But the one thing I miss having had the P85+ loaners is the + suspension. (Unfortunately the P85+s always seem to come with the darn uncomfortable gen 1.0 performance seats. My non performance gen 1.5 seats are MUCH more comfortable ;) )

So buying a CPO'd P85+ as your equivalent to my "dipping your toe in" would certainly be a prudent move!

Don't let the gen 1.0 seats turn you off.

Performance or non performance? I think Tesla may have tried to make the earlier perf. ones "sportier" by adjusting the springing at the expense of comfort. Getting back in my standard car after 2 days of a loaner with perf was a relief. In fairness never tried the fabric, let alone the vegan options!

Sure some people can put up with them, but definitely one to try before you commit to 3 years.

Just got a PM from the new owner of my P+. I pulled the air springs and put on stock Tesla coils while keeping the P+ dampers. I also re-grooved the damper bodies to allow for ride height adjustment. That car was just right for me (and my sedan reference point is the M5).

Yea, but I was so disappointed with the value equation when it came to 21s that I order my PD with 19s and put aftermarket 20" wheels and tires on it. I dropped 10 lbs per corner in unsprung weight while moving to Pilot Super Sports (better wear, lower cost, more grip). The added sidewall combined with reduced unsprung weight and grippier tires made for a much better overall package.

I don't understand the culture of "waiting for xx/yy" since by the time the X technology trickles down to the S, the Model 3 technology will make both existing models look outdated. By the time you wait and get the Model 3, the new roadster or the new S will make that look outdated. This is the nature of continuous improvement in today's age. Meanwhile, years of life have gone by without a Tesla in the stables ... life's too short. Just go get one.

- K

Yea, but I was so disappointed with the value equation when it came to 21s that I order my PD with 19s and put aftermarket 20" wheels and tires on it. I dropped 10 lbs per corner in unsprung weight while moving to Pilot Super Sports (better wear, lower cost, more grip). The added sidewall combined with reduced unsprung weight and grippier tires made for a much better overall package.

Sounds very tempting!

I posted on the X forum, I wonder if the new Tesla 20s for the X would fit the S?