Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally Figured Out Blind Spot Chime! (It's Quite Literal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
First off, I want to say if this was already posted on, mod please delete, but I did not see it.

So, I know that a lot of the Sentry videos and forums were saying the chime for blind spot {BLIS) was not working, and it was not working on my car either. Until today it went off; it gave me a bit of a jump as it was a new sound I hadn't heard before. I had not received a new update (on 5.15) so it was not fixed via update.

But then I looked in the settings and opened the info button.

Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime
"When enabled, you will hear a chime when a potential collision is detected while you are leaving the lane"

The problem here that I, and I think many, missed is that this is not a Blind Spot Warning that we are used to and how the screen acts by turning other cars and lines red. The Chime is quite literally a Collision warning.

It seems it only chimes if your actions are going to directly hit a car AND you actually start turning the wheel to cause the collision, compared to typical BLIS systems that give a wider margin of warning and cover the collision zone and a car length or two past that, as well as chiming regardless of steering input.

Again this eluded me on why it didn't work today; I hope it helps others!

P.S.: Sorry to the cars of Boston who I scared trying to prove this theory...

Confirmed this too this past week!

Thanks
Hello All,
First off, I want to say if this was already posted on, mod please delete, but I did not see it.

So, I know that a lot of the Sentry videos and forums were saying the chime for blind spot {BLIS) was not working, and it was not working on my car either. Until today it went off; it gave me a bit of a jump as it was a new sound I hadn't heard before. I had not received a new update (on 5.15) so it was not fixed via update.

"When enabled, you will hear a chime when a potential collision is detected while you are leaving the lane"

The problem here that I, and I think many, missed is that this is not a Blind Spot Warning that we are used to and how the screen acts by turning other cars and lines red. The Chime is quite literally a Collision warning.

It seems it only chimes if your actions are going to directly hit a car AND you actually start turning the wheel to cause the collision, compared to typical BLIS systems that give a wider margin of warning and cover the collision zone and a car length or two past that, as well as chiming regardless of steering input.

Confirmed this too this past week! I was doing the same trials and scaring a bunch of people.

I've gotten 2 false positives from this system. Once, I looked ALL around and there wasn't anything that I could have construed as a threat. Aliens must have vaporized them or something. The second time, I was in the far left carpool lane and some cars were too close on the right. I hope they are gathering more data on this feature and continue to improve it. I love the idea, just not impressed yet.

Reactions: RBowen and fiatlux
I've gotten 2 false positives from this system. Once, I looked ALL around and there wasn't anything that I could have construed as a threat. Aliens must have vaporized them or something. The second time, I was in the far left carpool lane and some cars were too close on the right. I hope they are gathering more data on this feature and continue to improve it. I love the idea, just not impressed yet.

Dirty sensors?

Hello All,

I don't even own a Model 3 (yet), and I've been saying this on all the youtube videos where clueless people were saying it didn't work. It's basically when a car is overtaking you from either side and you start to pull into that lane. So yes. :)

Reactions: Pkmmte
Yeah, I was wondering why the chime did not sound when I hit the turn signal too.

I feel that Tesla should reprogram it so that the chime sounds when the driver hits the turn signal and there is a car in the blind spot without waiting for the driver to actually start turning the steering wheel.
I believe I experienced exactly that yesterday in my 3. I am on 2019.5.15

Yeah, I was wondering why the chime did not sound when I hit the turn signal too.

I feel that Tesla should reprogram it so that the chime sounds when the driver hits the turn signal and there is a car in the blind spot without waiting for the driver to actually start turning the steering wheel.
I wouldn't want the blind-spot sound alerting me if I'm signaling but waiting for an opening. That would get really annoying quickly. I'm not one of the people who only signal as I cross the lane, I signal to let people around me know I'm going to change lanes...before I actually change lanes... sometimes this ends up taking 10 seconds in heavy traffic or during merges.

Maybe a visual cue that is noticeable in peripheral vision?... Like the entire lane/vehicle render area softly blinking red if signal is on and a car in blind spot... If it was obvious/large enough it might alert you without sound or direct vision needed. The red line is not obvious enough to see without looking directly at it, as you mentioned that is an extra step compared to other systems. Just a thought.

Most of the blind spot warning systems that I'm familiar with have an LED/light either in the outside side mirrors or inside the car near the A pillar. In other words, in the line of sight where the driver is supposed to be looking when changing lanes. Putting the visual warning on the center screen of the Model 3 will not help if merging left.

No, the system is perfect as it is. Tesla clearly put a lot of thought into it to make it effective and not annoying. No one wants an annoying /alarming sound every time they are signaling to merge onto someones lane. The chime alarm should only be for "collision" warning when your actually doing something wrong and merging when someone is beside you. If you want just a blind spot warning when you signal it's already there. The display lights up with red lines and the car in your blind spot turns red also. I understand your point you want tesla to be more like triditiinal manufactures but that's not Tesla. This is an easy behavior adjustment just like model 3 looking to the right for speed info. You'll quickly get use to it. I think Tesla is doing a good job with this feature implementation.