TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Finally found something I hate about my Model S - Seat belt 'creak'

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Jeffruby, May 17, 2014.

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

The driver side seat belt!

It "creaks". Subtle and not loud but drives me nuts on an otherwise quiet car.

Had heard others mention this issue before - not sure if there is a cure?

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Mine does the same thing, will mention it at my service next week.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

There's some sort of hidden tape they can put into the slot to quiet it up quite a bit. Had it done on mine at the annual and it's much better now.

4. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Mine made a weird creak and my SC made a weird rattle noise and the SC spent almost 45 minutes with it to make it stop for me. I'd gone in for something completely unrelated and he also noticed it making the noise and asked if it was annoying me and I said YES so annoying and he said ill take care of it (even though they are literally booked two weeks out for non emergent situations which this wasnt) and I left without the squeak/rattle.

5. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

They completely stopped my creaking seatbelt when I took mine in for the 12,500 mile service. I should have dropped in sooner, it was super annoying for a while!

6. HHHH

HHHH Member

That's awesome service

7. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I noticed the creak this winter, but after I put on a few pounds it went away. We'll see what happens now that spring is here, since I usually get skinnier during the summer!

8. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

@ Tezco - Do you hibernate as well? MW

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My seatbelt creak went away on its own too. I had mentioned it to Service and they said they'd have to order parts. By the time I took the car back in for its next appointment, the noise was completely gone. I told them to forget about the repair. I prefer not tearing things apart unnecessarily.

10. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I was the guinea pig for the original fix from the LA service center. It does work. It is special felt tape they use on the inside of the b-pillar.

11. kjl

kjl Member

When I took my car in for this last year they fixed it with some cheap-looking, wide, transparent tape. It looks like tape you'd use to tape up cardboard box for shipping. It stopped the creak but it looks pretty crappy. What's this about felt tape inside the b-pillar? Is that hidden from the outside? The tape I have is wrapped around the border of the hole that the belt comes out of.

12. frekri

frekri Member

I have the same problem, but I thought it was the door. Tesla didn't find any issues with the door. :)

13. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Mine is getting worse. Can someone take a pic of the fix? An6 home remedies? Can't tell if it's the strap rubbing on outter plastic, or the inner black element. Or is it rotation of the inner element.

14. russman

russman Member

I have lots of creaking, including the seatbelt. I took the car in and they did the know tape resolution. That appears to fix the creaking from my seatbelt, but I have creaking coming from the dash.

It appears to be more frequent when it's cold vs when the car is hot. So I have to take my car back again to try and resolve the rest of the creaking.

15. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Not certain my squeak is seatbelt, I've certainly suspected it. Talked to service center yesterday and was told they had a service bulletin on driver's door armrest squeaking when pressed. Leaned on it and mine squeaks same as the other squeak I can't locate. Am thinking the entire door panel squeaks where it is mounted to the frame, all around.

Oh, but in the vein of "don't like/hate" the location of window switches on driver's door requires an odd bend of my wrist to reach.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've got that... big time. I figured it was due to them pulling the door panel off so many times to fix door handles and wind noise. I'll mention it next time I'm in for service.

17. kota23

kota23 Member

I had the same issue with a noise that seemed to be coming from the dash and would also get worse in the cold. They installed the tape fix at a couple locations on the Pano roof and haven't heard it since. Also had some creaking coming from the suspension at low speeds, they took care of that last time the car was in.

18. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Mine does it too.

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

they have official TSBs to fix the seat belt creak. just take it into the service center and they'll fix it for free.

20. xdguo

xdguo Member

I have the same situation, don't know how to solve it.