Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally get to charge my M3 with solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm super excited. After watching other people install solar on youtube I finally get to install solar myself. I don't know how long it will take me to install it on my house because I'm not familiar with the whole process of getting solar however I have basic idea from watching youtube. Can't wait to get started. :):):)

Reactions: nwdiver
With advice from some guys on Solar Talk I used PVWatts to calculate my PV generation on my first house. I thought that a 7.3kW system would generate 1,111kWh per month but turns out that's only for states in the south like California. Up north a 7.3kW will average out to 866kW per month. That's a big drop of performance.

That could have been a costly mistake if I bought a system that would under performed.

With advice from some guys on Solar Talk I used PVWatts to calculate my PV generation on my first house. I thought that a 7.3kW system would generate 1,111kWh per month but turns out that's only for states in the south like California. Up north a 7.3kW will average out to 866kW per month. That's a big drop of performance.

That could have been a costly mistake if I bought a system that would under performed.

It's not really a drop in performance. It's just performance. Anything that converts energy from the local environment depends on the local environment.

So, you can't say "Production in <State> is this". You have to measure more locally.

I just received my documents I need to get a permit from the vendor however they don't create the site map so I had to spend several hours learning how to create one. That was a nice learning experience.

So far I've spent 23 hours and I haven't even ordered the panels yet. I really wasn't expecting for my 1st install to involve that much work.

Onto getting the permit.

I can't believe it but I made a big mistake. Fortunately I caught it before the vendor shipped out the inverter. The kit ordered was SMA SunnyBoy with TS4-R-F optimizer which turns out isn't really an optimizer. It's just a rapid shutdown.
After spending several weeks trying to determine how to get optimizers to work with SunnyBoy I just gave up and ordered SolarEdge instead.