Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally getting solar, and going with Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The numbers might be reversed, 3.96 kW DC means less than 3KW AC..
He said:
It's a 3.96 kW DC (5206 kW output)! ... So exciting for my 109% power output rating.
I think he means that they forecast 5,206kWh per year of generation and that is 109% of his annual consumption.
That's a pretty low 3.6 hours/day STC equivalent.

• Helpful
Reactions: jgd108
He said:

I think he means that they forecast 5,206kWh per year of generation and that is 109% of his annual consumption.
That's a pretty low 3.6 hours/day STC equivalent.

Your correct, I had the engineers here today and my project is now in the design phase. If counting the 30% tax credit I got the system for $2.63/watt (13 of the 315 watt panels).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180615-160602_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180615-160602_Chrome.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Dr. J
Your correct, I had the engineers here today and my project is now in the design phase. If counting the 30% tax credit I got the system for $2.63/watt (13 of the 315 watt panels).

If it's not too late, you may be able to get them to lower the price some via their "best value guarantee" where they kinda-sorta price match another, lower quote.

There are many variables, but $2.63/W is about what I paid for an 11kW system in FL recently, but before the 30% tax credit.

If it's not too late, you may be able to get them to lower the price some via their "best value guarantee" where they kinda-sorta price match another, lower quote.

There are many variables, but $2.63/W is about what I paid for an 11kW system in FL recently, but before the 30% tax credit.
I'll try to shop around some more as I'm waiting for the final quote come out, do you do a price per watt of the system or a price per forecasted generation. If that's the case I'll be $2.06 / watt. Just curious, pretty new to the solar club.

I'll try to shop around some more as I'm waiting for the final quote come out, do you do a price per watt of the system or a price per forecasted generation. If that's the case I'll be $2.06 / watt. Just curious, pretty new to the solar club.

Generally, the $/W prices that are used for comparison purposes are (Total system cost before tax credits) divided by (System Size) with system size determined by taking W/panel and multiplying by the number of panels.

So, in your case, $15,464 / 3970W (3.97kW) = $3.89/W

That being said, where did the 3.97kW come from on that screenshot? 13 315W panels = 4.095 kW

But yeah, it's worth at least getting another couple quotes and seeing if they come out cheaper. My original Tesla quote was ~$3.24/W and after the "best value guarantee" it went down to ~$2.63/W or so... ~$7k less in my case.

Be sure to use a referral code for the extra 5 years of warranty, too, if they let you.

Reactions: nwdiver
That's a good point, that there are variations in pricing around the country. OP may be getting a good deal for his area. It's still a good practice to get another quote or two, just to keep Tesla honest, though :).
Def will get another quote to get the "Best Value Guarantee". I would much prefer to have everything under single Tesla app.

Great thing we have this tool in CA, CaliforniaDGStats use Zip Code 91748.

Generally, the $/W prices that are used for comparison purposes are (Total system cost before tax credits) divided by (System Size) with system size determined by taking W/panel and multiplying by the number of panels.

So, in your case, $15,464 / 3970W (3.97kW) = $3.89/W

That being said, where did the 3.97kW come from on that screenshot? 13 315W panels = 4.095 kW

But yeah, it's worth at least getting another couple quotes and seeing if they come out cheaper. My original Tesla quote was ~$3.24/W and after the "best value guarantee" it went down to ~$2.63/W or so... ~$7k less in my case.

Be sure to use a referral code for the extra 5 years of warranty, too, if they let you.
I agree, I'll have to double check I thought the rep told me 315 watt panels, but that only breaks down to 305 watt panels. I am currently getting 3 more additional quotes from companies, so far tesla still has the best value.

Can you elaborate on your experience? or was it price alone?
Of the 3 companies, Tesla had a rep that seemed to know what he was talking about, and not just basically reading a script to me. The app and online tools he was using to show me my proposal was far more advanced then the typical piece of paper and pen I used to write down numbers from previous meetings with other companies. Lastly, to be able to say I have a tesla array and soon powerwall is something I enjoy because I have been such a fan of what Musk is doing/ trying to do with ideas outside of the box. So it wasnt all about the price, i have a couple quotes coming still but they were very reasonable on their quote for the system and seemed like a honest company. All this was IMHO.