TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Finally got a VIN and almost built...

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Fellsteruk, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I’m getting excited again...

My online account hasn’t been updating so I’ve been praying the SC guys, long wait for email reply but got a reply today to say it’s planned to be coming off the line this week and my account has been updated with my VIN...

This just got very real... excited and nervous, still feel dodgy spending this much on a car, I’m telling myself it’s worth it...

About two months isn’t for shipping isn’t it? So all being well I’ll have it on time in September :)

2. sidmini

sidmini Banned

that's good news. Definitely worth the wait!

3. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I (now I think about it ...) had to increase my spend to upgrade, during my "wait", from (discontinued) 80 battery to 90.Both were available at the time of purchase , but I had done all sorts of sums and proven to myself that the 90 was far too expensive [for the range Blah Blah Etc.]

So spent the wait shifting buttock-to-buttock just as you describe.

Of course that capital cost is forgotten now ...

... and the range has been useful (in more ways than "range". Faster charging, and less-top-up to get to destination, and not using "all the battery" every day, so-to-speak).

So I'm certain it will be fine. The car is awesome. Driving BEV, compare to ICE, is awesome. Going anywhere will cost peanuts (and "nothing" if you Supercharge to get there). Your friends will be green with envy.

• Like x 1
  4. DJP31

DJP31 Member

Correct, about 2 months, and you can be pretty confident you'll have it by the end of Sept - end of Q3. Keep an eye on your My Tesla as you should soon get a "gone into production" update. I found a screen refresh every 30 seconds helped pass the time ;).

The car only actually takes a few days to build, and then it heads off to Houston on the longest and slowest train journey humanly possible. You should get another My Tesla update saying "in transit to port". That's about the end of the semi reliable automated My Tesla updates - it was built for the US market.

It's then a ship to Tilburg (most of the time a Maersk ship)... but we get ahead of ourselves now.....

Echoing the others, the car is in a league of it's own. You won't regret it.

5. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Intrigued what that goes down as on your timesheet ...

... perhaps best you don't tell me :)

6. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Thanks guys

Strange thing is.... I never got an update to say it had gone into production last I checked a couple weeks back it was planned and today it’s showing as in production and due to finish this week maybe I missed an email alert either way I’ll be checking daily, let’s face it hourly for updates now and then no doubt watching the GPS tracker on the container ship lol

My friends think I’m mad but I’ll have the last laugh. Out of interest I have a theory, what do you think:

The Tillburg factory means greater QC for EU deliveries?

All I hear these days is really poor USA delivery’s and SC’s being packed with M3 and cars lookin rather crap yet us EU folk get an extra check over in terms of the Tilburg factory and whilst I’m not saying our cars are better or fault less the handover and end result does seem “from what I read” to be better

What ya think?

7. DJP31

DJP31 Member

If only this was the case. Tilburg put the car back together as it arrives broken down to avoid import tax. Sometimes the battery pack isn't even on the same ship :eek:.

The main PDI is supposed to be done there but the number of times a car gets to the SC's with glaring defects is a constant source of irritation. The rush at the end of each quarter doesn't help either (Elon has said they are changing this and will even out deliveries across the quarters). Three months maybe, six months definitely o_O.

8. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

9. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

@Fellsteruk frown :)

dont believe the doom sayers - all will be good.
    Even if there are any niggles the SC guys are great at sorting them.
    fwiw I have had less serious issues with both my Teslas than any previous car i've owned.

And once you've got it, everything else on the road seems like a relic

but the bit that really pi$$es me off (well the SO actually) is you will get illuminated vanity mirrors. Outrageous

and ooo MCU2 too ... okay I'm now jealous

10. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Lol, I can look at myself in the dark whilst zooming in and out quickly on the maps :)

11. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Rush at the end of the quarter... I guess I’m lucky then it’s been built at the start of one?

Been watching a video of the MS production line, couldn’t find one for MX appreciate it would be hell for them but would be amazing to get pics of your car in each of the different stages but then again they are software company cannot be that hard :)

12. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Yeah - I absolutely love Elon talking about the idea that you could not only visit the factory but actually assemble a bit of it yourself.
    Hope he makes it happen.

You should tweet him the concept of having a video of your own car being assembled in the factory though
    I could really see that happening and how cool would that be.

13. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

f* me - we just won the footie on penalties :eek:

14. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

sorry about that - but really

15. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Lol who knew we’d win :)

16. DJP31

DJP31 Member

Not a doom sayer, but Tilburg doesn’t equate to better QC. You’re right too, any niggles will be sorted out and the car tends to outshine them. Nonetheless the school report continues to say ‘could do better.’

If you can avoid collection right at the end of quarter then that gives the SC more time to rectify anything Tilburg have missed.

17. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Not going to argue that, but refer my post that I have had more serious problems with my recent ICE purchases (turbo, excessive fuel consumption, EGR, dual mass flywheel, Cats, suspension etc) than any niggles I have had with my Teslas.

I know folks like to complain about Tesla quality and fair enough, but context please.

18. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Agree, you will more than likely receive a well built car and any niggles should be dealt with without any quibbling, although it can require a bit of patience sometimes.

But most importantly it is an amazing car to live with on a daily basis. We've had our MX 75D since Feb and the novelty hasn't worn off at all. I've owned other premium cars and got bored of them after a couple of months, but not this one! I think the key difference is that it's not so much a car, more of a mobile relaxing living room to hang out in. The girls love it too with Premium Spotify and panoramic windscreen etc. Warning - normal cars feel claustrophobic and agricultural once you get used to this new motoring lifestyle!

19. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

My wife has a fiat 500 so I’m literally living at both ends of the spectrum in terms of massive car vs tiny

20. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

My wife currently has a Nissan Qashqai, which I used to think was quite good as a daily driver, but now it seems dire in comparison to the Model X! Which is a good thing given the price differential! The funny thing is when I was driving a Porsche Cayenne diesel, I still thought the Qashqai was pretty good, lol.