Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally Got FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my understanding it’s over the life of the beta. Honestly though if you’re not paying attention enough to get a forced disengagement you probably shouldn’t be in the beta. Just using it these last couple days down here in South Florida I need to be attentive.
I’m from GA and FL seems much more aggressive especially near Miami and Boca. I’ve seen some crazy driving there on 95 and the turnpike. It’s a good testing ground for FSD Beta due to the speeds and unpredictable nature of some of the drivers there.

Any city driving?
City driving was and is, for me, the easiest way to keep the score high because you are usually driving under 50mph thus eliminating the close following dings. Hard braking errors are reduced too because predicting slowdowns is easier. Since I have Tesla Insurance I have been driving the with the SS since October 2021 when I got the beta. Ironically it is far easier to maintain a higher SS once you get the beta. Just my experience driving in Austin, YMMV.

It probably wasn’t a forced disengagement. Was it more you took over and fsd disengaged? Ive had a few cased where mine was confused on the turn and automatically disengaged so I could take over.
So my observations are that at the beginning it's completely alien to have the vehicle attempting some of the more technical maneuvers in city driving. We are generally *very* used to how we drive. So in the beginning you intervene as soon as the vehicle does something you wouldn't. Then after a while the system earns your confidence and you begin to give it more opportunity to show you its stuff and perform new or challenging maneuvers. Then, you begin to realize that early on when you thought the Beta was going to make a mistake, it was really going to be successful, and you just cut it off early because it was not the way you would do something, etc.

That's when the Beta is really training you. This happens all the time on a much lower level with consumer electronics, etc. We're very adept and learning how a system operates and then operating it within those constraints. However this is not like other hardware/software, just because it acted a certain way does not guarantee it will act the same way in another similar situation. Maybe this is a characteristic of AI I just don't have a lot of exposure to. So usually not a big deal with some app on your phone, definitely a big deal with a vehicle driving you on an open road.

So the warning is just to be careful. When you're giving it leeway to execute maneuvers that are outside of your comfort zone, how do you know when to intervene? When the Beta has proven it can handle certain straightforward (and complex!) tasks, how do you know this time will be different? It can be hard to know and therefore require more attention than merely driving yourself.

It is wild and exciting and probably somewhat similar to the unpredictable dangers of driving a steam/ICE car on the road mostly occupied by horses in the previous grand transition period, etc. I could see this being the most difficult phase of autonomous driving transition.

Last edited:
City driving was and is, for me, the easiest way to keep the score high because you are usually driving under 50mph thus eliminating the close following dings. Hard braking errors are reduced too because predicting slowdowns is easier. Since I have Tesla Insurance I have been driving the with the SS since October 2021 when I got the beta. Ironically it is far easier to maintain a higher SS once you get the beta. Just my experience driving in Austin, YMMV.
Whoa....wait, with Tesla insurance, do you ALWAYS have to keep maintaining a safety score? That would be terrible......unless the insurance is MUCH, much cheaper than other auto insurance options? Nationwide insurance was just as cheap for my model y as it is our 2015 honda odyssey....

Whoa....wait, with Tesla insurance, do you ALWAYS have to keep maintaining a safety score? That would be terrible......unless the insurance is MUCH, much cheaper than other auto insurance options? Nationwide insurance was just as cheap for my model y as it is our 2015 honda odyssey....
It's been a while since I was dealing with Safety Score (not to rub it in) but I agree that the insurance prices will have to be much better for me to consider the switch. To be honest, once I figured out how it was calculated, I didn't have much trouble maintaining a good score but it's my other half that would be very worried about! I had to completely reset SS a number of times when I saw very low scores come in from the other driver.

I’m from GA and FL seems much more aggressive especially near Miami and Boca. I’ve seen some crazy driving there on 95 and the turnpike. It’s a good testing ground for FSD Beta due to the speeds and unpredictable nature of some of the drivers there.
I’m in the Miami area and these drivers definitely are pushing the beta hard lol.
So my observations are that at the beginning it's completely alien to have the vehicle attempting some of the more technical maneuvers in city driving. We are generally *very* used to how we drive. So in the beginning you intervene as soon as the vehicle does something you wouldn't. Then after a while the system earns your confidence and you begin to give it more opportunity to show you its stuff and perform new or challenging maneuvers. Then, you begin to realize that early on when you thought the Beta was going to make a mistake, it was really going to be successful, and you just cut it off early because it was not the way you would do something, etc.

That's when the Beta is really training you. This happens all the time on a much lower level with consumer electronics, etc. We're very adept and learning how a system operates and then operating it within those constraints. However this is not like other hardware/software, just because it acted a certain way does not guarantee it will act the same way in another similar situation. Maybe this is a characteristic of AI I just don't have a lot of exposure to. So usually not a big deal with some app on your phone, definitely a big deal with a vehicle driving you on an open road.

So the warning is just to be careful. When you're giving it leeway to execute maneuvers that are outside of your comfort zone, how do you know when to intervene? When the Beta has proven it can handle certain straightforward (and complex!) tasks, how do you know this time will be different? It can be hard to know and therefore require more attention than merely driving yourself.

It is wild and exciting and probably somewhat similar to the unpredictable dangers of driving a steam/ICE car on the road mostly occupied by horses in the previous grand transition period, etc. I could see this being the most difficult phase of autonomous driving transition.
I have found myself being even more attentive then when I drive. When I drive I know exactly what to do.

I will say driving for the Safety Score to get the beta gave me flashbacks of drivers education classes learning the “proper” way to drive. I wasn’t an unsafe driver but growing up in the Boston area you learn how to drive a little more assertive.

Glad to be apart of history in the making now!

I can see your point of view but I think the price comparisons vary a lot by model and state to state. For me is it a lot cheaper - like 70%. Progressive, Farmers, State Farm, Allstate are all between $200 - $300 per month for full coverage on my 2019 MS. My June bill from Tesla will be $75.56 for equivalent coverage with a 99 SS score. I don't really find it too constraining because even with a poor safety score it is still cheaper. And as I said it is much easier to maintain a good score using the city driving Beta.

Lots of variables - I don't often drive in rush hour and mostly drive the same suburban highway routes except for semi regular road trips. I have two non collision claims from four years ago that always come up with the legacy insurers and I am not sure how that affects my rate. Tesla insurance does not seem to factor your previous driving record except with DWI/DUI and license suspensions.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I gave up on waiting for FSD Beta. Been trying since this began but the constant (false) early collision and lane departure warnings keep destroying my score. And driving like an old lady from Pasadena in a Performance just to get a beta simply isn't worth the effort.
Something not adding up here. Your score is not dinged from lane departure warnings. What do you mean by "early" collision?

Something not adding up here. Your score is not dinged from lane departure warnings. What do you mean by "early" collision?
Forward collision warnings is likely what the OP meant. They will ding your score and it's first item listed under scoring factors in the App. Of course, they don't effect your SS if you have FSD enabled. I get them regularly when using the beta but never without, ha ha.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just got it today too. I had a safety score somewhere around 93-94. Didn’t expect to be in it but updated last night and had the beta available this morning. I did drive 4300 miles in 30 days. One thing I really want is for Tesla navigation to avoid taking dirt roads!! Anyone know the best place to provide that feedback?
Navigation in Tesla is done by a 3rd-party provider which is an open-source platform, while the map data is Google Maps. Avoiding dirt roads is the job of navigation and routing, so you need to provide that feedback to MapBox/Valhalla.

Reactions: Nick Steele
I got FSD Beta on Saturday. Tried it out a few times but I'm not exactly trusting it. Making left turns and driving in some traffic congestion has me worried. Has anyone found that making turns is a little "herky-jerky"? How far do you guys let it "drive" before you intervene?

Forward collision warnings. I live in a neighborhood where the cars park on the street and it's constantly going off destroying my score.
I live in a neighbourhood with ++street parking. Cars are parked on both sides of the street with only like a foot of clearance between cars. Mirrors on the street must be folded in else they're pretty much guaranteed to be smashed. I've never gotten a forward collision warning. How fast are you driving through these streets?