Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got my Blackvue mounted and working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it took a few months, because I'm lazy.

I got the BlackVue mounted, wired and installed.

After Pics:
https://i.imgur.com/63F1rb9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aRS0LzJ.jpg

Parts.
BlackVue 900 with rear camera.
Custom Mounting Bracket for Front: MOOVIKA Mount Bracket TESLA S AP2 Blackvue DR900S DR750S DR650 GW et S | eBay
Custom Power Cable: Dashcam Power Cable for Tesla Model S (assembled) | eBay

I ran the rear video cable through the headliner to the rear liftgate. It runs through the rubber hing wiring, down the side of the liftgate, then back up and to the center of the rear glass. It was a pain to run it, which is why I put it off so long, but certainly the right way to do it. The rear camera is just stuck onto my rear window, with the lens in the center. I might post a photo of that later.

The front camera is mounted inside a 3D printed part, that replaces the factory mirror cover up front.
(Hint, buy two of these, they are fragile, and I managed to break my first one.)
Also, I used a dremel to cut a slot in the custom bracket for the wires to come out of. I found this neater than them coming out of the headliner near the windshield.

The front camera is powered by the custom power cable. This cable makes it easy to add to the extra power cable in the headliner, behind the "grille" above the rear view mirror. In my case, I have the extra security device mounted there, so that extra power cable was in use, but the custom power cable made everything possible, and worked first time.

Overall I'm very happy with the install as the cables are so out of the way, and the dashcam is invisible to the driver.

• Love
Reactions: DCEV
Just found out my camera hadn't been working for over a month. This was the second one that died. Fortunately this one was under warranty so hopefully it will get replaced. Otherwise, I'm looking for another brand.
What happened to it?

I 100% wont get another Blackvue. They eventually quit working and they love to eat cards.
Mine's almost 4 years old (650S) and still on the original 128Gb Blackvue-branded card. I reformat it about once a month, as they suggest (hold in button for 10 secs until it buzzes).

Went through 2 blackvue cameras, and I do not know how many SD cards myself.. eventually gave up and tossed it and am just living with the Tesla Dashcam now (miss the Audio features of Blackvue)... The cameras would eventually just keep rebooting, stop recording, or destroy SD cards (even the super expensive High Performance ones, Blackvue SD cards, etc..). Hopefully you have better luck! :)

So, it took a few months, because I'm lazy.

I got the BlackVue mounted, wired and installed.

After Pics:
https://i.imgur.com/63F1rb9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aRS0LzJ.jpg

Parts.
BlackVue 900 with rear camera.
Custom Mounting Bracket for Front: MOOVIKA Mount Bracket TESLA S AP2 Blackvue DR900S DR750S DR650 GW et S | eBay
Custom Power Cable: Dashcam Power Cable for Tesla Model S (assembled) | eBay

I was looking at the same mirror mount from Moovika. Is it the same black color as the mirror? How is it holding up? I was wondering if it would retain the cameras heat causing premature camera failure. I heard these 900's put off a lot of heat. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I had asked someone at The Dashcam Store about the 900 failure issues. They said the earlier 900 dash cams did have issues. They thought the issues were fixed (newer firmware?). They also said their customers had good luck using the SAMSUNG 128GB PRO Endurance microSDXC UHS-I/U1 Memory Card. I purchased the Blackvue card since it is what Blackvue recommended. The 128GB Samsung was around $35 on Newegg which is much cheaper.

I got a 650 and a 750 running 4 and 2 years respectively (with Sandisk Ultra V30 rated high endurance 128GB cars) and they are going still fine (the 750 even survived an accident which totaled the original Model S it was in). I originally had issues with a cheap SD card, but once I went with the high end card, it's been working great). I have a 900 still in the box, to replace the 650, but haven't gotten around to it.

I got a 650 and a 750 running 4 and 2 years respectively (with Sandisk Ultra V30 rated high endurance 128GB cars) and they are going still fine (the 750 even survived an accident which totaled the original Model S it was in). I originally had issues with a cheap SD card, but once I went with the high end card, it's been working great). I have a 900 still in the box, to replace the 650, but haven't gotten around to it.

When you say working fine, do the videos consistently show your speed? Do you use Blackvue Cloud and have it login every time you park in your garage? I had a 650 2ch that I had to replace 3 times in 1 year. It would work great for 2 months then it wouldn't do either mentioned above.
I bought a 900 this year and right out of the box gps never worked. I quickly returned it.

When you say working fine, do the videos consistently show your speed? Do you use Blackvue Cloud and have it login every time you park in your garage? I had a 650 2ch that I had to replace 3 times in 1 year. It would work great for 2 months then it wouldn't do either mentioned above.
I bought a 900 this year and right out of the box gps never worked. I quickly returned it.
Never used BV cloud as I don't trust cloud solutions ("cloud" is just someone else's computer which I don't own or control) - maybe this stems from the fact that I work in cybersecurity. GPS doesn't work in my 2015 MS because of metalized windshield coating (it occasionally picks up a location, but not reliably). It worked fine in 2017 MS which was totaled (only know this because when I went to retrieve the videos of the crash the viewer showed the car driving showed the car in the correct location - I don't overlay speed on the videos). I assume it works in the 2018 but never actually checked, but in both cars I can download videos via WiFi just fine (download them few times a year, when I or my wife want to share something interesting we saw while driving) - that is all I want from a dashcam.

EDIT: I see in your sig that you have a P85D+, which would suggest you have a metalized coating on your windshield - this could be your issue with GPS antenna under the windshield. I have a picture here of what it looks like if you feel like checking your car (it's from a radar detector thread, as the coating cuts ~80% of radar signal strength, but that also applies to GPS signal)

Last edited:
If anyone is in the market for one of these, I have a brand new, never-been-opened BackVue DR900x 2-channel (so it covers front and back) and also has LTE built in so that the camera can store events in the cloud. This is their top of the line model that just came out. Retail ranges from $479-$639. This particular model comes with 64 GB memory and sells for $509. Selling for $425. Please message me if interested.