TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Finally got my Blackvue mounted and working.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SoCalNick, Jun 14, 2019.

1. SoCalNick

SoCalNick Member

So, it took a few months, because I'm lazy.

I got the BlackVue mounted, wired and installed.

After Pics:
    https://i.imgur.com/63F1rb9.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/aRS0LzJ.jpg

Parts.
    BlackVue 900 with rear camera.
    Custom Mounting Bracket for Front: MOOVIKA Mount Bracket TESLA S AP2 Blackvue DR900S DR750S DR650 GW et S | eBay
    Custom Power Cable: Dashcam Power Cable for Tesla Model S (assembled) | eBay

I ran the rear video cable through the headliner to the rear liftgate. It runs through the rubber hing wiring, down the side of the liftgate, then back up and to the center of the rear glass. It was a pain to run it, which is why I put it off so long, but certainly the right way to do it. The rear camera is just stuck onto my rear window, with the lens in the center. I might post a photo of that later.

The front camera is mounted inside a 3D printed part, that replaces the factory mirror cover up front.
    (Hint, buy two of these, they are fragile, and I managed to break my first one.)
    Also, I used a dremel to cut a slot in the custom bracket for the wires to come out of. I found this neater than them coming out of the headliner near the windshield.

The front camera is powered by the custom power cable. This cable makes it easy to add to the extra power cable in the headliner, behind the "grille" above the rear view mirror. In my case, I have the extra security device mounted there, so that extra power cable was in use, but the custom power cable made everything possible, and worked first time.

Overall I'm very happy with the install as the cables are so out of the way, and the dashcam is invisible to the driver.

2. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

Just found out my camera hadn't been working for over a month. This was the second one that died. Fortunately this one was under warranty so hopefully it will get replaced. Otherwise, I'm looking for another brand.

• Like x 1
  3. zoeconner

zoeconner Member

I 100% wont get another Blackvue. They eventually quit working and they love to eat cards.

• Like x 1
  4. Barry

Barry Active Member

What happened to it?

Mine's almost 4 years old (650S) and still on the original 128Gb Blackvue-branded card. I reformat it about once a month, as they suggest (hold in button for 10 secs until it buzzes).

5. zoeconner

zoeconner Member

2 cameras and 4 cards for me in 1 year.

6. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Supporting Member

I have 3 cameras in 3 cars (650 & 750) all working well for several years no issues.

7. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I bought the cameras in 2017 and 2018 so maybe quality has gone down. 700 and 900 series.

8. thatisug

thatisug Member

Went through 2 blackvue cameras, and I do not know how many SD cards myself.. eventually gave up and tossed it and am just living with the Tesla Dashcam now (miss the Audio features of Blackvue)... The cameras would eventually just keep rebooting, stop recording, or destroy SD cards (even the super expensive High Performance ones, Blackvue SD cards, etc..). Hopefully you have better luck! :)

9. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I'm still on the original card I got in 2017, fortunately, since it was a large memory size.

10. drew.c

drew.c Member

I was looking at the same mirror mount from Moovika. Is it the same black color as the mirror? How is it holding up? I was wondering if it would retain the cameras heat causing premature camera failure. I heard these 900's put off a lot of heat. Thanks for posting the pictures.

11. drew.c

drew.c Member

I had asked someone at The Dashcam Store about the 900 failure issues. They said the earlier 900 dash cams did have issues. They thought the issues were fixed (newer firmware?). They also said their customers had good luck using the SAMSUNG 128GB PRO Endurance microSDXC UHS-I/U1 Memory Card. I purchased the Blackvue card since it is what Blackvue recommended. The 128GB Samsung was around $35 on Newegg which is much cheaper.