Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got the "Big New Update"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2021.24.4 last night and it's mostly MEH!!

The one feature that I was most excited about was the ability to stay connected to my phone's WiFi hotspot when shifting into drive. I decided not to subscribe to Premium Connectivity because I can live without the satellite map and the red lines on my navigation and I have a great data plan with my cellphone provider and can do virtually everything else with my hotspot. But, it was a pain to shift into drive, turn on wifi and connect each time. With the update, I can tell it to REMAIN connected in drive for my hotspot. But here's the thing... when I get into the car it's connected to my home wifi in the garage. Shifting into drive, it reverted back to LTE because I wasn't already connected to my hotspot. So, I still have to open the wifi settings while in park and select my phone's hotspot before pulling out. Then it will stay connected for the rest of the drive. Not sure that really accomplished anything.

Reactions: wizzad12
I don't know about the iphone but, for android, you can use tasker app to automatically connect the car to your phone hotspot whenever your phone connects to your car via Bluetooth.

For iphone, may be something like shortcuts??

Maybe he means use tasker to turn on your mobile hotspot when the phone gets connected to the tesla bluetooth, so that way you don't have to have your phone's hotspot on all day.

Would still need to probably remove your home's wifi from tesla so it only connects to your hotspot. Though ....not sure if the Tesla will ever download updates since it would only have internet when you are driving with your phone's hotspot...

Maybe he means use tasker to turn on your mobile hotspot when the phone gets connected to the tesla bluetooth, so that way you don't have to have your phone's hotspot on all day.

Would still need to probably remove your home's wifi from tesla so it only connects to your hotspot. Though ....not sure if the Tesla will ever download updates since it would only have internet when you are driving with your phone's hotspot...
Yes. That is what I meant.

Here is a video explaining that.

Also, I don't think you have to "forget" your home wifi, as you drive away from your home wifi range, your car should automatically connect to your hotspot I am guessing.. right??

Seems like it is getting pout there. Maybe someone with Teslafi can advise what percent of the fleet has it now? I just got the 2021.12.25.7 update last week so hopefully I'm not at the end of the line for this one.
Here's the link to check, you don't have to have teslafi.

It looks like about one third of the vehicles have 2021.24 now

Reactions: DanDi58
Yes. That is what I meant.

Here is a video explaining that.

Also, I don't think you have to "forget" your home wifi, as you drive away from your home wifi range, your car should automatically connect to your hotspot I am guessing.. right??
No it does not work that way. Once it gets out of range of the home wifi it immediately reverts to LTE. I also don't want to forget my home wifi because I want it to receive updates when parked in my garage.

No it does not work that way. Once it gets out of range of the home wifi it immediately reverts to LTE. I also don't want to forget my home wifi because I want it to receive updates when parked in my garage.
What would happen if the AP name for your home and phone were the same, along with the same passphrase and encryption? I know the mac address of each AP would be different, and this is not how it should be done, but wondering if both appeared the same to the MY, then when it lost the house AP would it pick up the phone hotpot AP before dropping back to LTE?

Couldn’t this be achieved by having a preferred network option, much like they have Priotity device setting for Bluetooth?

That way your car would be connected to the home wifi network but once your hotspot network becomes available it reconnects to that. I believe Tesla would have to force wifi network search each time a new Bluetooth device is connected since you currently have to manually click on wifi for it to search for networks

Updated to 2021.24.4 last night and it's mostly MEH!!

The one feature that I was most excited about was the ability to stay connected to my phone's WiFi hotspot when shifting into drive. I decided not to subscribe to Premium Connectivity because I can live without the satellite map and the red lines on my navigation and I have a great data plan with my cellphone provider and can do virtually everything else with my hotspot. But, it was a pain to shift into drive, turn on wifi and connect each time. With the update, I can tell it to REMAIN connected in drive for my hotspot. But here's the thing... when I get into the car it's connected to my home wifi in the garage. Shifting into drive, it reverted back to LTE because I wasn't already connected to my hotspot. So, I still have to open the wifi settings while in park and select my phone's hotspot before pulling out. Then it will stay connected for the rest of the drive. Not sure that really accomplished anything.
Honestly, $10 a month to just set-it-and-forget-it and not have to ever worry about where my data is coming from is easily worth the price.

24.4 was pushed to me last night

did anyone else update the Tesla app? Here is what mine looks like now:
57CF43B5-FAB8-4A3F-B9A9-0B9A87A8CA35.png
A0C5BA36-4D6D-4AC5-B0AE-31F95214CC41.jpeg
BDDD63CE-0592-412A-AF75-4656C5C7AF7E.png
DD9310DB-58CF-448B-8D17-AB86C175ED1D.png
9BF411D0-411C-4366-AAD8-4D7C2F2769A2.png