Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got the new 2017.50 update... Wait, no Chill Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an early Christmas gift this morning. Finally getting off version 2017.42! I'm now on 2017.50.2, which adds the following capabilities:

Easy Entry
Battery preheat capabilities
Santa mode Easter Egg (very cool!)

But no chill mode. What gives? Since I live in the frozen tundra of Michigan, I was looking forward to trying this mode out when the roads are snow and ice covered. Is it normal for a new update to miss a new feature from a previous update? Is it because I have a classic RWD P85?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I can see that it might be. I do have AWD, but rarely, if ever, will tackle ice. I did that when I was younger and it was not fun. If this helps, that would be great. It was advertised as making the car or its acceleration "more comfortable for your passengers" in the release notes.

Tesla has made a conscious decision to exclude the P85. This is nothing more than a modified acceleration curve that is done in software. Up until several firmware updates ago, if you held down the Tesla logo and typed "performance" into the password box, you could access a drop-down menu whereby your P85 could simulate a S60 or even a S70. That has since been removed many revisions ago.

It seems that Tesla is consciously limiting features to older vehicles, for no other reason that I can discern other than sunsetting those cars to push customers to buy new vehicles. There can be no other reason. And no, it's not because of the motor and/or inverter, as AP1 flavors of the P85 have the same and those are getting the Chill Mode.

Tesla is drawing a line between pre-AP and post-AP cars.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Chaserr
It seems that Tesla is consciously limiting features to older vehicles, for no other reason that I can discern other than sunsetting those cars to push customers to buy new vehicles. There can be no other reason.
Of course there can be other reasons. The simplest explanation is that they implemented Chill Mode using hardware features only available on AP-equipped cars. Backporting the feature to use old-style acceleration control may have been too difficult or risky.

The "hardware" chill mode uses that requires AP is the word "CHILL" on the IC display. It's a thin font that doesn't display well on the lower resolution screen pre-AP, and TEsla decided having that word on the IC was worth excluding cars more than 3 years old.

There is zero technological reason for it, it's functionally identical to Valet Mode aside from allowing you access to frunk, glovebox, and garage, and as was already mentioned Tesla is also excluding the Performance easter egg on pre-AP cars as well despite it having been available in the past.

Buy a new car, spend $130,000 on your new iCar every 3 years or we'll slow you down like apple.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The "hardware" chill mode uses that requires AP is the word "CHILL" on the IC display. It's a thin font that doesn't display well on the lower resolution screen pre-AP, and TEsla decided having that word on the IC was worth excluding cars more than 3 years old.

Do we know that is actually the reason, or is that just what people are assuming?

We know for a fact that the only AP specific hardware it touches is the IC display, and that it can run just fin on pre-AP cars as long as you want the limitations of Valet.

Frankly, this exclusion has me expecting a decrease in 0-60 "to protect my battery" at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden