Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got the S into service how long till they do something with it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've had it four days haven't touched it and I've sent 3 emails with no reply. I sent emails to their service and the service concierge guy.

I know they are backlogged and I waited four months for an appointment but why take the car if you're just going to let it sit? I've always kept it in the garage and don't like the idea of it sitting outside for weeks and in the rainy season no less.

Reactions: davidc18
Just drive the heck out of the loaner. That would teach them. Hahah

But on a serious note yeah my appointment was 2 months out. They told me they would set me up for a loaner. Not sure why but the service is something really simple. All I needed was the weather guard was slipping out. All they need is to swap that and call it a day.

I'll let you know how long that takes.

They've had it four days haven't touched it and I've sent 3 emails with no reply.
You have a loaner? Don't worry about it.

I just had my P85 in for its two year service. I brought it in Tuesday and got it back Friday. I would have gotten it back sooner except it turned they had to wait for parts due to a few unexpected replacements.

Of course it all depends where you are and what service center you are going to. You provide no specific location so it's hard to tell you anything relevant. I find that some service centers care more than others about keeping their customers happy.

In some ways a Tesla loaner is better than it being your own car.

It's the same car so it's not like you have to get used to any major differences.
You can put as many miles on it as you want
If someone crashes into you, you don't have to wait months for repair.

I've never had a loaner for more than a day. Apparently Tesla knows me too well. DOH!!!

Yeah, I like getting loaners. The one I just got was an early build S85. Very educational to see how accustomed I had become to getting information from all the auto-pilot sensors. And so nice to see the old design speedometer again -- so much better than what we have now.

Also nice to be reminded of the difference between the S85 and my P85.

Reactions: thecloud

It's the same car so it's not like you have to get used to any major differences.
You can put as many miles on it as you want
If someone crashes into you, you don't have to wait months for repair.

I've never had a loaner for more than a day. Apparently Tesla knows me too well. DOH!!!

Well the loaner is not a Model S it's a Mercedes 300 and it's yucky, smells funny and I hate driving it. It sits in the garage where the model S should be.

No response at all to several emails and a phone call is still pretty lame. It'll be a week Monday. They had my laundry list of issues for months, I'd hope they're not waiting on parts.

It's at the San Rafael service center and it has't moved from the parking space out front since they took it. I really don't like it being left outside and I wouldn't have given it to him if I'd known it was going to be sitting outside for weeks. I wonder if I'd get a response if I went and just took it back?

Seriously, how many of you would be okay with your new (only 400 miles on it) car just sitting out in a parking lot somewhere begging for door dings Etc? I know they're backlogged but why take another car if you know you can't get to it for weeks? It's not so much as they're ready to work on the car as they have a spot to put it in.

Yeah, I like getting loaners. The one I just got was an early build S85. Very educational to see how accustomed I had become to getting information from all the auto-pilot sensors. And so nice to see the old design speedometer again -- so much better than what we have now.

Also nice to be reminded of the difference between the S85 and my P85.
How was the overall build quality of the early VIN etc? Anything you noticed in the features that really stood out? I'm trying to decide between a stripped AP1 inventory car or a fully loaded pre-AP P85 or + CPO.

How was the overall build quality of the early VIN etc? Anything you noticed in the features that really stood out? I'm trying to decide between a stripped AP1 inventory car or a fully loaded pre-AP P85 or + CPO.

It was very quiet, build quality looked good. I'd never seen the rear facing kid seats before in person, so that was interesting. The thing that was the most noticeable for me was that with fewer features it was just as fun to drive. For me, I think driving slow is just as nice in this amazing car as driving fast.

If I were buying an older Model S, I'd make sure the seats are comfortable for me. Some people complain about the early seats. And I'd make sure I don't need folding mirrors to fit in a garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Wshowell
It was very quiet, build quality looked good. I'd never seen the rear facing kid seats before in person, so that was interesting. The thing that was the most noticeable for me was that with fewer features it was just as fun to drive. For me, I think driving slow is just as nice in this amazing car as driving fast.

If I were buying an older Model S, I'd make sure the seats are comfortable for me. Some people complain about the early seats. And I'd make sure I don't need folding mirrors to fit in a garage.

@BetTSLA, you nailed it! I have an almost 4 year old Sig S85 and it remains my most favorite car to drive! I enjoy driving AP equipped loaners too, but ultimately have just as much fun with my classic S85.

Same thing happened to me. They give you an appointment two months out and then they don't actually put you in the service queue until you drop off your car. It seems very inconvenient and costly for Tesla to provide a loaner when you could be driving your own vehicle.

I would have rather had my car for the week and then have them call and say it's your turn come on in and wait or get a loaner for the day.

And I have gotten a Model S only once. The other two times were enterprise rentals.

I called on the day before my appt (waited 4 weeks) and asked if it was going to be worked on the next day (friday). After a few minutes on hold, they said to bring it in on monday. Brought the car in on Monday morning and guess what, it sat in the front of the SC until tuesday. Picked up the car Friday afternoon. I could have had it on Tuesday but they had to fedex a part from CA. No Tesla loaners left in the Miami area after the big 3qtr sell off. I had them uber me both was to avoid getting the enterprise ICE loaner.

Wow, I feel your pain, that's like my prior luxury car dealer. I have to say that the Hawaii dealership is the complete opposite. I was in constant phone and text communication with Jimmy of service who picked up the phone within a couple of rings every time.

They came and picked up the car and drop off the loaner in the am from my house and we went on a test drive to demo the issue. They do so in Hawaii because the service center is on the wrong side of the island from the demographic population that buys their cars (but moving shortly hopefully).

They promised within a couple of hours that they would get the car back to me that evening. Jimmy called a few hours later saying they had figured out the problem but that they needed to order parts but they had already swapped the car. I had coordinated with Jimmy as to where I parked their loaner car in the airport parking lot (had to fly to Maui for the afternoon).

My parts should be in tomorrow at which time they'll come to get my car again. I was completely blown away by the excellent service!

So sorry your experience was less optimal but I'm hoping you can share this with your service manager and perhaps show them how there is room for improvement.

Jeff

My car just spent a week in mt kisco. They worked on it the first day, and called me daily with updates (ordered parts, waiting for parts, installing parts, two days of testing because of rain). It was the second trip for the same problem, but they did finally resolve it and there was no lack of communication.

Service update:

I know the service centers are inundated right now but after waiting 4 months for an appointment they had the car for 2 weeks.

Someone took my 32GB Lexar Jump Drive, hasn’t left the car since I got it. :(

There are now dents marks etc. on the driver’s side armrest. Someone pushed on it hard enough to leave wrinkles in the leather.

The rear bumper fit was improved but still pulls away from the body of the car and there is now a light mark on the bumper.

They had a detail on the due bill before I even picked up the car and it looks like they did wax it but the light scratches are still there.

It took a week to respond to email and a phone call about the status of the car.

I was told twice I’d receive the service paperwork and I still have not.

• Disagree
Reactions: HumanGenome