Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got to charge at 200KW then something strange happened...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately people have been posting on social media and here too that they have got up 200KW on their Model X and S. In one of my previous videos I charged my car at the same station and could only get 146KW. The car has had several updates since then so I felt it was time to test it out for myself. After the car ramped up to 197KW it quickly came back down to under 100KW definitely not normal. Now Tesla has come out with a post stating the new S and X cars will get up to 250KW. Very curious what you guys think.

the car ramped up to 197KW it quickly came back down to under 100KW
I can't answer your question but I have to verify you were at a new v3 location? It does sound like you were at a V2 since V2 maxes out at 145kw (if unlocked) which also explains your previous max. Then, if you are at a v2 you need to make sure you weren't sharing a feed and you used the pre-conditioning feature. Either one could explain your observed behavior.

Reactions: Vegas Shuffle
I can't answer your question but I have to verify you were at a new v3 location? It does sound like you were at a V2 since V2 maxes out at 145kw (if unlocked) which also explains your previous max. Then, if you are at a v2 you need to make sure you weren't sharing a feed and you used the pre-conditioning feature. Either one could explain your observed behavior.

It was definitely a V3 because the model S that was there was getting 175+ sustained charging for a good amount of time.

My guess is with s/x you need to be out of the vehicle to allow full charge speeds. The entire cooling system has to be taxed to cool the battery pack at those charging speeds. If you are in the car you will be steeling hvac power and it will start to heat up the pack quickly.