Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got VIN! What's next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order date: 8/19

Model Y LR , White Paint, Black Seats, 5 seater, Gemini Wheels located at DMV.

EDD: December 2-8

I chose full cash as payment in the beginning when I placed an order. I don't see in the website where I can switch to loan so I guess the only way to do it so to talk to SA? I have a car that I want to trade in, put some cash as down payment and finance the rest. How to apply for Tesla loan?

I also need to shop for insurance as well. What are the coverages that people get around the area?

Help out a newbie to get to the delivery please :p

Order date: 8/19

Model Y LR , White Paint, Black Seats, 5 seater, Gemini Wheels located at DMV.

EDD: December 2-8

I chose full cash as payment in the beginning when I placed an order. I don't see in the website where I can switch to loan so I guess the only way to do it so to talk to SA? I have a car that I want to trade in, put some cash as down payment and finance the rest. How to apply for Tesla loan?

I also need to shop for insurance as well. What are the coverages that people get around the area?

Help out a newbie to get to the delivery please :p
Call your Tesla Delivery Support - the same number for your Tesla Service /Delivery/Store. Select "Vehicle", "New Delivery" when prompted.

Call your Tesla Delivery Support - the same number for your Tesla Service /Delivery/Store. Select "Vehicle", "New Delivery" when prompted.
Thank you! I finally got my trade in and loan completed today. Now, it says "make the final payment," do i need to make this payment to proceed with delivery or can I wait until I pick it up? Also, what kind of payment can I use? debit card? cashiers check? etc?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Thank you! I finally got my trade in and loan completed today. Now, it says "make the final payment," do i need to make this payment to proceed with delivery or can I wait until I pick it up? Also, what kind of payment can I use? debit card? cashiers check? etc?
You don't have to pay now.

You can bring certified check or loan check from third party at delivery. Either way you MUST tell Tesla you are paying this way.

My experience, paying on delivery day, is that I check the car before paying.

There's also a chance that you may have to reject the car, or last minute, Tesla says "the car is not ready for X reason". If that happens then your fund is tied up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211121-191035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121-191035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 251
You need to make it before delivery. ACH bank transfer direct to Tesla is the fastest way. They will only take a credit card for the initial down payment.
No! You do not have to make payment before delivery. Paying them upfront is the fastest way to get screwed if something happens at delivery and you either don't have a car or you didn't like what car was delivered.

OP, you can make payment with certified check at delivery. They don't like to tell you this for obvious reasons.

• Helpful
Reactions: AprilMay
This is great info. Like the OP, I have my order as "cash" payment but I plan to 3rd party finance and show up at pickup time with the loan check. So if I understand correctly, I will need to get in touch with an SA or someone else at Tesla to let them know that I will be paying via 3rd party financing and not cash? And if I do this, does something update on the app so I can be sure there won't be any hitches when I do show up on pickup day with a check from the financing institution?

You don't have to pay now.

You can bring certified check or loan check from third party at delivery. Either way you MUST tell Tesla you are paying this way.

My experience, paying on delivery day, is that I check the car before paying.

There's also a chance that you may have to reject the car, or last minute, Tesla says "the car is not ready for X reason". If that happens then your fund is tied up.

You mentioned you are able to bring a certified or loan check at delivery day. When was this? Would I be able to bring a check from the lender and a personal check (for the downpayment) on delivery day?

I hope you all can help me out and confirm if what a local California sales advisor is telling me is correct.

I went to my local Tesla sales office in the bay area, CA to ask about the payment and delivery process. The sales advisor I spoke to told me it was policy that the car is paid in full before a delivery date can be scheduled and I cannot inspect the car in advance either. I told her I heard of others who were able to make payment on delivery day and she insisted that in her three years working at Tesla, that has not been possible for the last two years. I questioned if that's accurate and she said she would go talk to the manager. She came back reiterating payment has to be made before delivery.

She later contradicted herself when I asked if customers can bring in a check from the lender on delivery day and she said yes. She went on a tirade about why we won't pay in advance and accused me of thinking they would sell defective cars. She also complained about customers being too picky about their cars. I told her it was reasonable for a customer to inspect the actual car prior to purchase but she said everything they sell is inspected to make sure it is within spec.

Has anyone within this year in CA been able to hold off on payment until accepting the car on delivery day? If so, any idea how downpayment and financing works? I

No! You do not have to make payment before delivery. Paying them upfront is the fastest way to get screwed if something happens at delivery and you either don't have a car or you didn't like what car was delivered.

OP, you can make payment with certified check at delivery. They don't like to tell you this for obvious reasons.
I have reservations about paying in advance for this same reason but a local bay area, CA sales advisor was adamant full payment has to be received prior to delivery. She was insistent this was not possible in the last two years of her time working there. If this isn't true, I am disconcerted she would make this up or be so ignorant.

I have had bad experiences with the sales advisors at my local showroom so I will try to work something out with the delivery center once a VIN is assigned. If I am able to make payment with certified check at delivery, do you think Tesla will accept a combination of personal check (downpayment) and a check from the lender on delivery day?

I have reservations about paying in advance for this same reason but a local bay area, CA sales advisor was adamant full payment has to be received prior to delivery. She was insistent this was not possible in the last two years of her time working there. If this isn't true, I am disconcerted she would make this up or be so ignorant.

I have had bad experiences with the sales advisors at my local showroom so I will try to work something out with the delivery center once a VIN is assigned. If I am able to make payment with certified check at delivery, do you think Tesla will accept a combination of personal check (downpayment) and a check from the lender on delivery day?
It's not true. I don't want to say she's lying but she's lying.

They did the same thing to us. My wife who works in regulatory compliance, flat out told the SA if you won't take payment at delivery, then there is no deal. They took our cert check after we ok'd the car. Towards the end of the quarter ppl in sales go crazy. Just keep your priorities ahead of their convenience.

It's not true. I don't want to say she's lying but she's lying.

They did the same thing to us. My wife who works in regulatory compliance, flat out told the SA if you won't take payment at delivery, then there is no deal. They took our cert check after we ok'd the car. Towards the end of the quarter ppl in sales go crazy. Just keep your priorities ahead of their convenience.
Thank you, that's reassuring to know. I pointed out I heard of others who were able to pay on delivery day and she said that must have been over two years ago. Maybe I appear naive to her but she stuck with her narrative that in her three years as a Tesla sales advisor, payment on delivery date was not possible for the last two years. She went on to accuse me of thinking Tesla would sell defective cars because I am unwilling to pay in advance! I've had it with that showroom. I hope I will have better luck arranging payment with a a delivery advisor.

You mentioned you are able to bring a certified or loan check at delivery day. When was this? Would I be able to bring a check from the lender and a personal check (for the downpayment) on delivery day?

I hope you all can help me out and confirm if what a local California sales advisor is telling me is correct.

I went to my local Tesla sales office in the bay area, CA to ask about the payment and delivery process. The sales advisor I spoke to told me it was policy that the car is paid in full before a delivery date can be scheduled and I cannot inspect the car in advance either. I told her I heard of others who were able to make payment on delivery day and she insisted that in her three years working at Tesla, that has not been possible for the last two years. I questioned if that's accurate and she said she would go talk to the manager. She came back reiterating payment has to be made before delivery.

She later contradicted herself when I asked if customers can bring in a check from the lender on delivery day and she said yes. She went on a tirade about why we won't pay in advance and accused me of thinking they would sell defective cars. She also complained about customers being too picky about their cars. I told her it was reasonable for a customer to inspect the actual car prior to purchase but she said everything they sell is inspected to make sure it is within spec.

Has anyone within this year in CA been able to hold off on payment until accepting the car on delivery day? If so, any idea how downpayment and financing works? I
Inspected the car and loan (3rd party bank) check at delivery day in San Diego/Carlsbad (2018/2019/2020) and Las Vegas (Sep 2021).

Congrats on all those Teslas! This will be my first one :) What about the downpayment check? Do you think I would be able to submit a combo of downpayment check/wire plus 3rd party bank check on delivery day?
If you have a loan then the bank would coordinate with Tesla sales to get all the paper work, registrations etc. The bank would usually send payment directly so that the car can be titled w/ lien. Then all that's left is usually your deposit which you bring via cert check.

Also, go over your paperwork carefully and look for the arbitration clause. You have 30 days to reply/exit otherwise you will be locked into arbitration. I found this out too late, but knock on wood everything has generally been pretty good.

• Helpful
If you have a loan then the bank would coordinate with Tesla sales to get all the paper work, registrations etc. The bank would usually send payment directly so that the car can be titled w/ lien. Then all that's left is usually your deposit which you bring via cert check.

Also, go over your paperwork carefully and look for the arbitration clause. You have 30 days to reply/exit otherwise you will be locked into arbitration. I found this out too late, but knock on wood everything has generally been pretty good.
One of my lenders gave an option to mail their bank check directly to me so I will probably go this route. Thanks for pointing out the arbitration clause. I don't anticipate any major problems with the car but the customer shouldn't sign away their rights. I will definitely opt out of arbitration but hopefully the 30 days starts from date of signing the MVPA and not the order agreement.