Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally... I'm in the Tesla Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my MS 90D this week on Monday. Being in Michigan I had a few choices as to where I could go to get the car, and I opted to pick it up in downtown Chicago and I must say they did a great job with everything there. My DS Matt Ayers actually picked me up at the train station and drove me over to the Tesla shop where my car was waiting for me. He then spent over an hour with me going over any questions that I had and showing me the little things that I didn't know about yet. There was no rush, he answered everything and was a pleasure to deal with throughout the whole process. If anyone in Michigan wants a suggestion on where to get their car, I'd highly recommend the downtown Chicago location.

The car came with only 15 miles on it, but I'm now already over 800 in only a day and a half. Let's just say I took the long way back to the Detroit metro area. My car, even with the latest firmware, still does not have all the AP2 functions yet, but even just the TACC is awesome and makes long trips such a breeze. I do get some self-driving, but only at less than highway speeds right now. I was really loving the Slacker radio too...it's like having your own personal jukebox.

Here's a pic of my "navy" blue car at the Chicago Navy Pier.

blue.GIF

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forums here. There are so many questions that are already answered here and when I have needed help the advice and information has always been top notch.

I'm looking forward to many years and many miles with my new car...and hopefully I can now help bring some more folks from Michigan into the Tesla family as I drive around. That would be very nice to put some more pressure on the legislature here to allow them to sell and service cars in the state.

Thanks again everyone. The grin feels good...

Great picture. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Did you pay Illinois car sales tax then pay only Michigan Vehicle Registration fee after that?

Not exactly. I paid the lower Michigan sales tax rate in Illinois and got a letter from the Chicago folks stating that I've already paid the 6% tax. When I get the paperwork in the mail I will then need to register the car in Michigan. Right now I have an Illinois temporary plate in the back window, which is good for 30 days.

The sales tax was actually a big concern for me as there is a 4% difference between Michigan and downtown Chicago...which isn't all that much if you're just buying a slice and a beer...but if you're buying a car it's a significant difference. Thankfully...Illinois and Michigan have a reciprocal tax agreement in place so I only had to pay what I would have been charged had I actually took delivery in Michigan. I did hear this same thing exists if I had wanted to pickup the car in Cincinnati or Cleveland...but I just felt it would be more fun to drive around in Chicago rather than any of the Ohio choices.

Reactions: JClu
About 1200 miles driven at this point and I've only got one clean spot on the car right now...the place where I just removed the front license plate bracket. Now I really need to get the rest of the car cleaned up to match. :)