Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally impressed with TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't tried at night yet, but until recently, TACC was useless on two sided roads, even during daytime. Did a back and forth trip last weekend with 2022.8.3 on 85 km of two sided roads with speed limit ranging from 50 km/h to 90 km/h. On the first 85 km, got just one slow down and one hesitation. On my way back on the second 85 km, two slowdown and two hesitations. Hesitation were climbing up small crest that were going down right after so the car couldn't see in front. Slowdowns where gentle, no abrupt braking. Roads were really curvy and hilly with some curves with speed recommendation of 40 km/h. Crossing traffic turning right on those curves created absolutely no braking. Things are looking better because last fall, it was painful to use TACC on those same roads.

I'm actually liking 12.3.1 - much smoother in heavy traffic than 8.3. Also, it doesn't seem to head into stopped traffic at speed and then slam the brakes at the last minute.

It still has more room to improve, but I like the changes so far.

I have a theory: it's improving again because Elon moved to Texas. I'm not joking.

The Tesla ADAS previously seemed to be 'good enough' on his commute in heavy Los Angeles traffic (from Bel Air to SpaceX in Hawthorne) and he judged everything by his narrow personal experience and demanded the team fix things to optimize his drive vs other people's. In Los Angeles, particularly the parts he drove on, there is always moderate to heavy traffic so the autopilot fixated on what other cars were doing, but performance on complex less crowded roads remained poor.

Now he's driving more often in less populated areas and probably driving on some non-divided highway---between Tesla Austin and SpaceX spaceport primarily---the performance gets better there. Next Elon needs to move to London, then Rome, and it will finally work well in difficult cases.