Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aaaaand the ESA excludes Commercial Use

Not worth it. My work Xes are at almost 40,000 miles and it hasn't even been 12 months.

*touchwood we haven't seen any other issues, hope we can ride it out past 100k miles and then i won't feel like the ESA would've been worth it haha

While true, how do you quantify the purchase price without it? It would seem like a value-added service when people cross shop BMW vs MB. Warranties, loaners, etc. are all "baked" into the car price too.

For the typical cross shopping I completely understand where you are coming from.

However as an exercise in min-max negotiations it does matter when costs are not baked in.

Assuming BMW and Mercedes both tried to sell the same identical car - the "bottom deal" that you would negotiate with Mercedes would be a cheaper price than the BMW. Since the Mercedes version did not have "overhead" of the Ultimate Maintenance into the cost of the vehicle.

Inversely, you can negotiate the Mercedes to the best bottom you can and insist on the the same free maintenance as BMW.

I just realised that services were not backed in the price of the car for the first few years. Disapointing. My bad for not checking on this before, I was under the impression that it would be like BMW. The prices are ridiculous for a vehicule that supposedly doesn't need nearly as much work as an ICE.

I have my tab open from two days ago, where it said within 60 days of purchase you can get the prepaid service only by going to service center, and the price for 4 years was $2,100, and $4,000 for 8 years. That's a steep and sudden markup! I was planning on buying this on my next SC visit next week!

Wait till they try to charge these fee's to a Model 3 customer who is paying $35k for the car.
There is no way I'm paying that kind of money to maintain any car. If they start to push the idea that the 3 requires this kind of expense I'll go elsewhere, but I doubt they will.

Some people claim that this is less than they spent to maintain their former ICE, but I assume those are the people that take their car to the dealer and do whatever the dealer "recommends" rather than just performing the maintenance that is outlined in the manual. I assume those people will be glad to purchase whatever service plan is offered.