Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla has heard us! The ESAs are $500 less (i.e. $2400 for 2 year, $4800 for 4 year) this morning in my My Tesla account compared to yesterday. I assume this means they agree that earlier owners of the Model X should be given a reasonable window of time to buy the ESA without the $500 increase that occurs after 180 days for new owners today.

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 10.52.36 AM.png

Looks like Tesla has heard us! The ESAs are $500 less (i.e. $2400 for 2 year, $4800 for 4 year) this morning in my My Tesla account compared to yesterday. I assume this means they agree that earlier owners of the Model X should be given a reasonable window of time to buy the ESA without the $500 increase that occurs after 180 days for new owners today.

View attachment 213280

Thabks Captain Sunshade @K-MTG for taking the lead and others who called in too:)

I am curious what is the time frame to buy it now?

New MX owner, few questions.

- Car is going to SC 2nd time for fixing pending due bill item issues and new problems that have occurred since 1dt SC visit, first visit I had to pay nothing. At what point do I need to pay for having vehicle go into service? If it is a warranty claim do I still pay deductible of $200 each visit and labor charges?

- The yearly service in 4 years is not paid for and is something I need to buy? What happens if I do not buy but a part under warranty starts to malfunction and needs replacement, do I pay any deductible?

Quite confident it is 0 deductible for the initial bumper to bumper coverage.

Wow these are a little more expensive than I anticipated. I'll have to see how much repair prices are and the reliability of the FWD before deciding on the 4 year ESA but at $4250, plus potentially having to do annual inspections then to be eligible ($2750), that's $7000 + $200 deductible each time? Wow...

Right now I'm thinking of skipping the 1st and 3rd year inspection, but pay out of pocket for the 2 year and 4 year inspection especially if those include changing out the HEPA filters and since we don't know the costs of the wipers (but I'll presume it's like $100 each). I can change my own keyfob batteries...

Anyone else thinking similarly?

I think a lot of other owners are going with the same thought process ... a Tesla inspection every 2 years :cool:

View attachment 213280

I bought when it was $500 more - I hope they are able to adjust down and give me a refund for $500

I have my tab open from two days ago, where it said within 60 days of purchase you can get the prepaid service only by going to service center, and the price for 4 years was $2,100, and $4,000 for 8 years. That's a steep and sudden markup! I was planning on buying this on my next SC visit next week!

Same here, my tab showed 60 days from purchase (and there was a count showing how many days left), but suddenly it is gone. I was gonna purchase the 8 year one. My delivery date was Dec 13, 2016.
Called the main service center in CA yesterday, Friday, they said they will check and will call me back. Did not call back on Friday.
Called today, Saturday, to a local SC, they said their sales representatives don't handle it, maybe the service would, but they are closed till Monday. Called the main sales center in CA today, the customer service told me this is what they can offer now. I said that the promise that I could purchase within 60 days should be honored, but the representative said Tesla changed it, so it is not available. I asked to escalate and she replied she will but does not guarantee anything. This starts looking as not really a Tesla service ... but some car dealer service. A bit frustrating ... Now I realize that I need to be taking screen shot ever time I visit the webpage ... otherwise, they change things too fast.
Also, the representative said that Tesla emailed about these change to maintenance plans to owners, but I've searched everything on my email and did not receive any message from Tesla. Do people receive a notification about this change in Service/Maintenance Plans?

Was this covered already? If the extended service plan is just an extended warranty, does that mean Tesla will fix anything that stops working for free during the years covered? I don't quite understand the wording in the announcement.

Was this covered already? If the extended service plan is just an extended warranty, does that mean Tesla will fix anything that stops working for free during the years covered? I don't quite understand the wording in the announcement.

Yes, you should read it with the link it provides on site, the "Learn More" link. In short though again:

- it covers anything that fails for years 5,6,7,8 (or +50K miles more) due to craftsmanship or provided by tesla in your car build
- it does not cover/modify your 8 year battery and drive unit warranty, that is separate still
- it does not cover standard wear tear items, like seals, brakes, paint wear, cosmetic items, fluids, and a LOT more (there are a ton of exclusions).

Really have to make a personal choice if want it or not, perhaps now and get a refund later if don't want it still (not sure if tax get refunded though). Or wait, and pay more for it if want it as your regular 4yr/50k warranty is ending, but at least you'll be sure then later if you want/need it more. Even then, you benefit if you need over $5k worth of repairs in those latter years, and remember each time will require a $200 deductible still as well.

I think this has blown out of proportion. That is a standard clause in all extended warranty docs no matter which manufacturer. If you are not going to change your oil in an ICE car for four years and then your engine dies, the company that wrote the ESA is not going to foot the bill for repair. It's your negligence to not have followed recommended service.

And that's what Tesla's intention here is. If you don't bring your car in at the recommended intervals and your drive unit fails during the term of ESA, they have to protect themselves from your stupidity.

Also, Tesla is opening up its parts and some of the service items to owners and others so sometime in the future you won't have to go to Tesla for your annual checkup.
The issue isn't that it is not a uncommon thing to do. It's that the "you don't have to pay for the expensive service" excuse no longer works. So overall the ESA becomes incredible expensive (goes from around 5k to 8k +deductible), because the optional service some people might have skipped due to the price now becomes mandatory. At which point the whole claim from Elon that EVs have less moving parts and require less maintenance doesn't really seem to hold up.

Same here, my tab showed 60 days from purchase (and there was a count showing how many days left), but suddenly it is gone. I was gonna purchase the 8 year one. My delivery date was Dec 13, 2016.
Called the main service center in CA yesterday, Friday, they said they will check and will call me back. Did not call back on Friday.
Called today, Saturday, to a local SC, they said their sales representatives don't handle it, maybe the service would, but they are closed till Monday. Called the main sales center in CA today, the customer service told me this is what they can offer now. I said that the promise that I could purchase within 60 days should be honored, but the representative said Tesla changed it, so it is not available. I asked to escalate and she replied she will but does not guarantee anything. This starts looking as not really a Tesla service ... but some car dealer service. A bit frustrating ... Now I realize that I need to be taking screen shot ever time I visit the webpage ... otherwise, they change things too fast.
Also, the representative said that Tesla emailed about these change to maintenance plans to owners, but I've searched everything on my email and did not receive any message from Tesla. Do people receive a notification about this change in Service/Maintenance Plans?
I saved the page and printed it. When I go to my SC on Monday, I will enquire about it. Let me know if you get this promise honored. I'll also report back.

When I login to My Tesla, I only have options to purchase the Extended Service Agreements. There are no Maintenance Plan options. Anyone have any idea why?
Has it been 12,500 miles since delivery? Not sure if they have that info.

What is the eligible purchase period for Maintenance Plans?
Maintenance Plans must be purchased within 12 months or 12,500 miles (whichever occurs first) after the original delivery date of a new or pre-owned vehicle by Tesla...

I have been corresponding with Tesla on the subject of maintenance plans as my Model X is past 12,500 miles and I have already had my first service. I did not have an option to purchase a maintenance plan through my account. This is what they have said -

"Thank you for contacting Tesla in regards to our newly revised Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreements. Currently, Maintenance Plans can be purchased up to 12 months or 12,500 miles/ 20,000 km (whichever occurs first) after taking delivery. We understand that the plans are new for Model X owners, and are working to come to suitable resolution for our Tesla customers regarding the matter. Please check back in 48-72 to follow up on the progress of our development team. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

I will also say that they have been phenomenally responsive to my inquiries.

Reactions: xkwizit
The standard maintenance was 400 but I also needed wheel alignment and brake cleaning which was not included in the standard fee. The total all in was $625. I am assuming that both additional service items are now part of the standard maintenance so the price I paid would be consistent with the new fees.