Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am debating purchasing both maintenance and ESA.

Any thoughts on the value of pre-paying maintenance vs. paying year by year?

How about purchasing ESA now vs. waiting for mile 49,999 (I know you save at least $500 but that's a low ROI)?

Any sense of how prices have changed over time for these?

I'm avoiding maintenance since you barely save anything, doesn't seem required if don't drive a ton (like us), and can do it 2-3 times versus 4 for example.

Will likely get the ESA but waiting, and will determine if getting 2 or 4 year then. Depends on how the car holds up, depends on how much of it has been replaced by then ;-) (already had a lot of seals, sensors all over, door motors, the expensive MCU, etc.). Mainly want to see how drive units hold up (but that has longer warranty anyway), battery (so does it), and mainly the FWDs (which would likely need the ESA in my opinion the most).

-T

I sold my car back and they gave me a partial refund on remaining service visits but I'm not sure about warrantee.
so i just called and was told if the warranty isnt used the will give a full refund, and if you have used some of it a pro rated refund will be issued. buying the warranty now.

EDIT: i also wasn't charged tax in california? i remember when i almost purchased a couple months ago it was showing tax on top of the $4,800.

Last edited:
I just purchased it after quite a bit of vacillation. I was all set to go without it but then I read about suspension repair costs and also noticed some quirky behavior with my car. The automatic spoiler acted up a bit, the falcon wing doors creaked more than usual. I felt like the car was trying to tell me something. I also haven’t had my half shafts replaced - and the list goes on. Lastly, it was an early build X - so I figure some of the parts probably have improved quite a bit.

The real issue for me was whether I would get anywhere close to 4 years out of it. The first 50,000 was attained in 2.5 years. Now that we also have our Model 3 - the mileage on the X is down quite a bit so I think I’ll get close to 4 years fo coverage.

Only time will tell whether I made the right decision.

We’ve been debating if we should get the ESA also. Just to cover the worry parts like the FWDs and such. Then again, the cost of the plan could go towards a new X or other model so we’re undecided. We haven’t had issues with the doors since the SC fixed them a few times but it’s always at the back of our minds.

I just purchased it after quite a bit of vacillation. I was all set to go without it but then I read about suspension repair costs and also noticed some quirky behavior with my car. The automatic spoiler acted up a bit, the falcon wing doors creaked more than usual. I felt like the car was trying to tell me something. I also haven’t had my half shafts replaced - and the list goes on. Lastly, it was an early build X - so I figure some of the parts probably have improved quite a bit.

Only time will tell whether I made the right decision.

Well I’m glad I bought it. When opening both Falcon Wng doors at the same time - the center spline somehow came loose. It cracked the roof glass of the Falcon wing door. I ended up needing new roof glass on both doors and a new center spline. The repair cost estimate was about $3k. I still have 40K miles and 3 1/4 year under warranty - so I am pretty sure I will get my money’s worth.

Attachments

• C98A9CA2-F615-4D1B-AD99-D401B32DD181.jpeg
    C98A9CA2-F615-4D1B-AD99-D401B32DD181.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 77
Well I’m glad I bought it. When opening both Falcon Wng doors at the same time - the center spline somehow came loose. It cracked the roof glass of the Falcon wing door. I ended up needing new roof glass on both doors and a new center spline. The repair cost estimate was about $3k. I still have 40K miles and 3 1/4 year under warranty - so I am pretty sure I will get my money’s worth.

$3000 just for glass? Wow

If I knew the plan was gonna be around in 4 years I'd just wait and pay the higher price.
But with plans moving off your account it makes me nervous they might be phasing them out.

I've bought 3 ESA on my last 3 Jeeps and 1 VW and never used them once (both brands noted as poor reliability, yeah right). 100K miles on each.

I would think if they were to phase out the plans they would give owners a heads up?

Earlier this year I had a feeling Tesla was going to raise their Extended Service Agreement prices so I purchased a 4-year ESA on our Ludicrous 2015 Model S P85D+ for $4,250. I did this to:
  1. avoid the ESA price increase
  2. increase it resale value if we decided to sell it
  3. provide Tesla with some needed cash
So glad I did. :D