Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 12500 service performed Nov 3 2016; actual miles were 13068. cost was $500. The Invoice says they did Four Wheel Alignment.check (not sure what that means).
says they did:
- pulled log and check for faults
- checked firmware version
- performed function check of closures.
- torqued suspension bolts
- tested charge cable
- replaced key fob battery
- performed inspection of powertrain and chassis
- checked fluid levels
- measured tire tread depth
- performed 4 wheel alignment check
- replaced wiper blade

I do not have option to purchase prepaid maintenance of my tesla account; I do have option to purchase ESA.

Someone had mused earlier on this thread if Tesla knows you are beyond 12.5K miles to purchase the maint plan. And when they announced them both that night I checked MyTesla page and the maintenance plan option didn't show. Since they get the logs from the cars all the time, obviously they know your mileage.

Though I am not interested in purchasing either of the two plans, I think that X owners who are beyond the 12.5k limit on the day the plans were announced should be given a chance to purchase the maint plan. It's not the client's fault if it was a low priority item on Tesla's to-do list. I think a few phone calls and emails will help those beyond 12.5K miles to still be able to get the maint plan. I expect Tesla to make it right.

Reactions: X Fan and K-MTG
I am confused about the comments that Tesla requires customers to bring in their car at least one a year or every 12,500 miles, whichever comes sooner or Tesla can refuse to honor the extended warranty. Does this mean that one has to follow the maintenance schedule for the 1st four years to be able to get Tesla to honor an extend warranty 4 or more years from now? Or can one not follow the maintenance schedule for years 1-4 and begin to do Tesla maintenance beginning in year 5 - 8 and still get Tesla to honor an extended warranty?

Wow, $4800 + $2750 = $7550. Priced like the tax rebate we're getting...hmm. Yeah, yeah, not required, etc. but the X has enough quirky issues that I think the ESA makes sense, at least....

I didn't know how good I had it with my Model S's $3800 4+4 service plan and $2500 4-year ESA. ;-) I don't even see a 4+4 option for the prepaid maintenance for the Model X.

I am confused about the comments that Tesla requires customers to bring in their car at least one a year or every 12,500 miles, whichever comes sooner or Tesla can refuse to honor the extended warranty. Does this mean that one has to follow the maintenance schedule for the 1st four years to be able to get Tesla to honor an extend warranty 4 or more years from now? Or can one not follow the maintenance schedule for years 1-4 and begin to do Tesla maintenance beginning in year 5 - 8 and still get Tesla to honor an extended warranty?

In the ESA, it states the service intervals are required "within the agreement period" which is the ESA agreement period for years 4-8. Thus we all think you can do what you want the first 4 years; however, you also can't enter into the ESA if your car is in bad shape as well already from previously ignoring all service.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Where does it say the extended warranty has a $200 deductible? I can't find that in the documents.
Phil, I was wondering about the deductible too. It is buried in the T&Cs, links are available only on the bottom of the payment page. Wordings from the document, ..."“Deductible” means the portion that You must pay for each Visit. The Deductible under this Vehicle ESA is $200 per Visit."

Reactions: Phil Seastrand
Just sent Elon another Tweet, hopefully he will respond to this one:

MacTechGenius on Twitter I think it sums up all of our unanswered questions about the ESA + Service Plans.

Thank you :cool:

upload_2017-2-8_21-11-57.png

I don't love the pricing (or relatively small savings in the case of the prepaid maintenance plans), but we purchased both. We like the car and plan to keep it.

The way I look at it is while I could save some $ by skipping some of the annual maintenance visits, it's not really worth it to me to save $600/yr and go two years between checks and have doubts.

About the ESA - the car is bleeding edge technology and the FWDs have no track record w.r.t. reliability. If they last (or get serviced to be fully functional) in the first 4 yrs and are working well at the 4yr point, it doesn't give me a ton of confidence that they'll continue to work well for the next 4 years. And that's just the FWD. There's the individually moving seats, the moving spoiler, the big touchscreen, etc, etc.

Some of those could be big $ expenses to fix, and I don't want to have a partially functioning car in years 4-8 because I don't want to spring for the repairs.

If I have to pay $7500 for 4 years of all-in maintenance and 8 years of worry-free repairs, then that's kind of the ante I signed up for when getting a >$100K electric car in its first year of production. :D

I think the pricing is a little steep especially since a lot of people including myself have had issues with their X, Over a dozen issues and its only 4 months old. I have had a Spark EV and Rav4 EV for 3 years each and not one problem with either. Some of the issues with the X are just sloppy production; misaligned FWD, windows not rolling up correctly, heater not working, etc. Most of the issues should have been caught by Tesla before delivery. Its unfortunate that Tesla would charge so much. Elon often thanks his customers for helping fund the companies future projects. I would have hoped for a better thanks #endRant

I don't love the pricing (or relatively small savings in the case of the prepaid maintenance plans), but we purchased both. We like the car and plan to keep it.

The way I look at it is while I could save some $ by skipping some of the annual maintenance visits, it's not really worth it to me to save $600/yr and go two years between checks and have doubts.

About the ESA - the car is bleeding edge technology and the FWDs have no track record w.r.t. reliability. If they last (or get serviced to be fully functional) in the first 4 yrs and are working well at the 4yr point, it doesn't give me a ton of confidence that they'll continue to work well for the next 4 years. And that's just the FWD. There's the individually moving seats, the moving spoiler, the big touchscreen, etc, etc.

Some of those could be big $ expenses to fix, and I don't want to have a partially functioning car in years 4-8 because I don't want to spring for the repairs.

If I have to pay $7500 for 4 years of all-in maintenance and 8 years of worry-free repairs, then that's kind of the ante I signed up for when getting a >$100K electric car in its first year of production. :D

You could always make a call in 4 years and get a refund if decide you don't want the ESA, or even 6 years and get partial refund - rare that a company does this option - transfers as well which is nice.

Between synthetic oil changes, failed ignition coils, CV boots, etc, I spent more than $1000/yr on the average on my Audi A4 and that was a $30K car.

Similarly on our Lexus RX330 - at least $1000/yr on the average for repairs, major and minor services, etc on a $45K car. Getting a $3-4K repair bill every 3-4 yrs after inspection at one of their service checks wasn't uncommon.

We kept both of those cars 10-12 yrs though.

While the $7.5K will cover 4yrs of service and 8yrs warranty on the X, based on how it holds up over that time, we will have to think about what happens after year 8 though.

Hi everyone -- thanks to several of you for reaching out directly to get some of your questions clarified. We updated our plans to add value compared to old plans – new plans now Include an annual alignment check (and alignment if necessary), drive unit fluid replacements, wiper blade and key fob battery replacements each year.

The pricing is at breakeven for us (consistent with our philosophy of not profiting on service plans).

For MTG's questions:

1. Yes. Although Tesla recommends annual maintenance every 12 months or 12,500mi/20,000km (whichever comes first), it does not void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not have these inspections performed. But, it's a really good idea to do them.

2. Yes. Our Terms & Conditions of the Extended Service Agreement state that annual maintenance must be performed to maintain the contract. We're not trying to be heavy-handed, but guiding to the right behavior. Hope that makes sense.

3. The Discounted window for early adopters is in effect through August 2, 2017 (180 days from launch of new Service Plans). We have extended the same grace period to Model S customers also.

Hi everyone -- thanks to several of you for reaching out directly to get some of your questions clarified. We updated our plans to add value compared to old plans – new plans now Include an annual alignment check (and alignment if necessary), drive unit fluid replacements, wiper blade and key fob battery replacements each year.

The pricing is at breakeven for us (consistent with our philosophy of not profiting on service plans).

For MTG's questions:

1. Yes. Although Tesla recommends annual maintenance every 12 months or 12,500mi/20,000km (whichever comes first), it does not void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not have these inspections performed. But, it's a really good idea to do them.

2. Yes. Our Terms & Conditions of the Extended Service Agreement state that annual maintenance must be performed to maintain the contract. We're not trying to be heavy-handed, but guiding to the right behavior. Hope that makes sense.

3. The Discounted window for early adopters is in effect through August 2, 2017 (180 days from launch of new Service Plans). We have extended the same grace period to Model S customers also.

Thanks @JonMc for addressing our questions, the open-line of direct communication between us customers and the Tesla Executive Team is one of the most exhilarating aspects of the Tesla ownership experience.

Great to have a perfect explanation from @JonMc. Does anyone know if the warranty is refundable and to what extent? Basically the only thing holding me back from purchasing before August 2, to take advantage of the discounted window is the fear of a worst case scenario of the vehicle being totaled before the 4 years. This would render my $5k useless if not refundable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and K-MTG