Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
It's finally available on MyTesla for the X!

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 11.18.34 PM.png

And what is drive unit fluid service? Could that be the oily/slimy stuff that is leaking from the front of my car currently??

My Model X is SMOKING???

I think the drive units need some kind of internal lubrication oil. Are those puddles under your front axle?

The only benefit I see from the first year service is the windshield wiper replacement (cost unknown and parts not as easily obtained by us) and the drive unit fluid replacement, which is only offered on the first year of service. Probably to remove any shavings and filings during break in, similar to the short service schedule for an ICE oil change. Tire rotations are N/A for those of us with staggered wheels and directional tires. Multi-point inspections and wheel alignment checks are okay, but I'm not sure what percentage of issues it catches. Kind of expensive for two useful services. I wonder if I could get the second year service with a drive unit fluid replacement since everything else is included in the second year as well.

I don't mind the cost of the X warranty -- mostly because I'm afraid of how much a door will cost down the road.

But those service fees are a huge ripoff. Costs way more than an ICE minivan/SUV.

Well, technically when you have the extended warranty (ESA), in those extended 4 years it explicitly states you have to service on interval for years 5-8. But, you can not service the first 4 years technically and be fine. It really depends. Our X has been going in for issues this first year and they check it out a decent amount each time it goes in. You can opt likely to do some individuals things (filters/fluids) when needed though or recommended by SC.

Dang, it is more pricy for the 4 year ESA - especially here where sales tax is 10.25%. I may wait until we move to Texas where it's lower and out of this failing state/city before purchasing it since no rush ;-)

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 8.11.17 AM.png

All the S prices went up also some, and the service plans (which I prefer to just do individually).

Reactions: jerseygirl18
I think the drive units need some kind of internal lubrication oil. Are those puddles under your front axle?

The only benefit I see from the first year service is the windshield wiper replacement (cost unknown and parts not as easily obtained by us) and the drive unit fluid replacement, which is only offered on the first year of service. Probably to remove any shavings and filings during break in, similar to the short service schedule for an ICE oil change. Tire rotations are N/A for those of us with staggered wheels and directional tires. Multi-point inspections and wheel alignment checks are okay, but I'm not sure what percentage of issues it catches. Kind of expensive for two useful services. I wonder if I could get the second year service with a drive unit fluid replacement since everything else is included in the second year as well.

Yup it is on the front towards the passenger side

View attachment 213146
And for the extended warranty which just became available, it is $500 more expensive for owners that owned the car for over 180 days. That is our thank you for being early adopters.

Maintenance Plans
Vehicle Warranty

But did you notice that us early adopters have to pay an extra $500 since we owned the car for over 180 days?? I thought they would offer a waiver since they just announced the extended warranty

I think the drive units need some kind of internal lubrication oil. Are those puddles under your front axle? .
The drive units (specifically the transmission and the differential) have oil in them, just like in a regular ICE. Its not unheard of for manufactures to recommend a diff or transmission fluid change after the break in period.