Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally my 18” snow wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally received my new winter wheels for my Model Y LR AWD. Was so happy to replace the absolutely terrible in winter Goodyear pseudo all season tires. I’ll still use them for summer until they wear out. I installed these myself at home using my new low profile jack, which worked perfectly with the amazon jack pads I bought.
These are 18” MSW Model 48 with 245/55R18 Blizzak LM-32 tires. These have factory TPMS sensors. They calibrated right up. There is no option for configuring 18” wheels via the Tesla screen. I left them alone (summer wheels are 20” induction) as the overall wheel and tire diameter is only 0.6” taller than stock configuration so I doubt it matters much. The ride is unbelievably smoother than the inductions due to more rubber. Haven’t tried them out in deep snow or ice yet, but they were solid in light but slippery snow. Excuse the salty car, The Demon needs a wash
Wanted to post in case anyone was considering downsizing the rims in favor up upsizing they tires for winter.

Attachments

• 5DA8F590-969F-4363-BE4A-1B1760F661AF.jpeg
    5DA8F590-969F-4363-BE4A-1B1760F661AF.jpeg
    833.1 KB · Views: 516
  • 9A2F1B2F-7930-422E-8748-9A126555350D.jpeg
    9A2F1B2F-7930-422E-8748-9A126555350D.jpeg
    836.6 KB · Views: 698
Good choice with the Blizzaks on smaller rims.

Finally received my new winter wheels for my Model Y LR AWD. Was so happy to replace the absolutely terrible in winter Goodyear pseudo all season tires. I’ll still use them for summer until they wear out. I installed these myself at home using my new low profile jack, which worked perfectly with the amazon jack pads I bought.
These are 18” MSW Model 48 with 245/55R18 Blizzak LM-32 tires. These have factory TPMS sensors. They calibrated right up. There is no option for configuring 18” wheels via the Tesla screen. I left them alone (summer wheels are 20” induction) as the overall wheel and tire diameter is only 0.6” taller than stock configuration so I doubt it matters much. The ride is unbelievably smoother than the inductions due to more rubber. Haven’t tried them out in deep snow or ice yet, but they were solid in light but slippery snow. Excuse the salty car, The Demon needs a wash
Wanted to post in case anyone was considering downsizing the rims in favor up upsizing they tires for winter.

Reactions: patnshan
I also changed to the 18" blizzak snow tires yesterday, coming from 20"induction wheels. After the change, I have noticed a noise or creak when decelerating at low speeds to stop. I don't know if I need to change any settings? Did this happen to you?

I also changed to the 18" blizzak snow tires yesterday, coming from 20"induction wheels. After the change, I have noticed a noise or creak when decelerating at low speeds to stop. I don't know if I need to change any settings? Did this happen to you?
No, not at all. Hmm. Did you make sure the centering rings are installed if needed for your wheels? Mine had them. Otherwise, not sure as mine aren’t behaving poorly at all.

I also ordered my winter setup from tirerack and had centering rings installed. I do not have any vibration issues. My noise sounds more like the regenerative braking is engaging abnormally. The noise is definitely something new since the install. It only happens at very low speed to stop.

I also ordered my winter setup from tirerack and had centering rings installed. I do not have any vibration issues. My noise sounds more like the regenerative braking is engaging abnormally. The noise is definitely something new since the install. It only happens at very low speed to stop.

Yeah, that’s odd. I definitely don’t have any issues like you describe. I hope you are able to figure it out.

Per the 2020 Model Y Owner's Manual, page 69:

Note: Installing winter tires with aggressive compound and tread design may result in temporarily-reduced regenerative braking power. However, your vehicle is designed to continuously re-calibrate itself, and after changing tires it will increasingly restore regenerative braking power after some moderate-torque straight-line accelerations. For most drivers this occurs after a short period of normal driving, but drivers who normally accelerate lightly may need to use slightly harder accelerations while the re-calibration is in progress.

thank you jcanoe and patnshan. I remember reading that statement a while ago, but completely forgot about it after my install a few days ago. An update, during driving today, it seems like things have recalibrated and pretty much the noise is gone.

So you are aware on the MYP the rear tire is 28.6" tall from the factory, so yeah, likely no issues at all.