Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally - national data on the number of BEVs and Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
Some of you may recall my frustration expressed in this thread Tesla market share of BEVs in NSW regarding the absence of national data on BEVs and Teslas.

So instead of remaining frustrated, I contacted the relevant authority in every state and territory of Australia to source the data directly. It was an interesting exercise. Some jurisdictions were brilliant to deal with - WA, QLD and SA take a bow. WA answered and provided the data within hours. QLD was not far behind and offered to produce a bespoke report for me quarterly. SA are in the process of cleansing their motive power data, so cannot advise at the moment how many BEVs are registered in SA but told me the number of Teslas. VIC was acceptable - it took a week before they got back to me, but were responsive once I got a dialogue going.

At the back of the pack were the rest. For ACT I had to fill out a form (the only jurisdiction requiring it) and it took nearly 3 weeks to get the data. NT asked me to explain why I required the data, and if they agreed to supply it, a $200 fee would be applicable. In the end I contacted the policy officer for electric vehicles in the NT who provided what she could without charge, but could not tell me how many Teslas there are. TAS were just slow in responding and are also doing a motive power data cleansing exercise like SA so could not provide what I requested, but also said they do not collect statistics by manufacturer, so the number of Teslas in TAS will remain a mystery.

The other challenge is each jurisdiction classify vehicles differently - so I needed to be very precise about what data I wanted (BEV light passenger vehicles, and not vans, motorcycles, trucks or non-BEVs like PHEVs or other hybrids). Even then, I cannot guarantee the data that I ended up with is completely clean and comparable but it's as good as it gets for the moment.

So drumroll... here's the (almost) national data on passenger BEVs and Teslas as at the end of 2019:

tesla.png

So there you have it... by now we would be approaching 7000 Teslas in Australia, and they hold about 60% of the national market in passenger BEVs!

Interesting that Tesla's WA's market share is the lowest (presumably a result of limited presence there / no SCs for a long time) and that VIC has more passenger BEVs than NSW (but not as many Teslas) - possibly because it's a small state and people are not as range sensitive as in the larger states?

It was also a lesson for me to be more consistent in my NSW reporting. The NSW BEV tally above removes all the non-light passenger vehicles which is why the number is a fair bit smaller than reported in my other thread.

Cheers!

I know you are only after precise totals, but for general interest there are 50+ known Teslas in Tassie (unofficial crowdsourced info). EV count is "about 200" - this is from the govt Department but not sure of their methods. (They've only just started counting and even 200 is conservative based on community spotting/identification, although would make more sense if they've excluded PHEVs) Whatever their accuracy, I can confirm their EV number is up 10-20% from the same figure 3 months ago, and that figure is also a 10-20% increase from 3 months before that.

I know you are only after precise totals, but for general interest there are 50+ known Teslas in Tassie (unofficial crowdsourced info). EV count is "about 200" - this is from the govt Department but not sure of their methods. (They've only just started counting and even 200 is conservative based on community spotting/identification, although would make more sense if they've excluded PHEVs) Whatever their accuracy, I can confirm their EV number is up 10-20% from the same figure 3 months ago, and that figure is also a 10-20% increase from 3 months before that.
What the government department in TAS (StateGrowth) did tell me is that in December 2019 they had approximately 200 electric vehicles in the fleet, but that included plug in hybrids. I guess we'll need to wait for them to complete their data audit/cleansing before we get more accurate info.

Curious though that collecting (or at least not publishing) totals by manufacturer appears to be a policy decision, but they did say they were reviewing that. Presumably they historically have considered that somehow commercially sensitive, but every other state was happy to provide the Tesla total to me.

Reactions: Shallowal
If you wanted to add New Zealand in to the mix, the 2019 sales of BEV's 1881 with 802 being Tesla's (42%)
Total EV sales for 2019 were 2840 including PHEV. Tesla's share of this 28%
Thanks @Miggy - is than an offer for NZ to join the Australian Federation :D although many of us here would prefer it the other way around at the moment :p

Is fleet data available in NZ or only sales? Adding up sales over time != Fleet because of write-offs and exports. But I’ve heard there are more BEVs in NZ than there are in Australia, even though our population is 5.3 times as much.

Thanks @Miggy - is than an offer for NZ to join the Australian Federation :D
New Zealand is even mentioned in the Australian Constitution - they were almost ready to become part of the new country at the time the constitution was written. It'd be pretty easy for NZ to join Australia.

6. Definitions
The Commonwealth shall mean the Commonwealth of Australia as established under this Act.

The States shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia, as for the time being are parts of the Commonwealth, and such colonies or territories as may be admitted into or established by the Commonwealth as States; and each of such parts of the Commonwealth shall be called a State.

Original States shall mean such States as are parts of the Commonwealth at its establishment.

Thanks @Miggy - is than an offer for NZ to join the Australian Federation :D although many of us here would prefer it the other way around at the moment :p

Is fleet data available in NZ or only sales? Adding up sales over time != Fleet because of write-offs and exports. But I’ve heard there are more BEVs in NZ than there are in Australia, even though our population is 5.3 times as much.
New Zealand's EV Fleet is at 19,658 to end of Feb 2020 this includes used imports.
More data at:NZ Light EV Registration by Brand, May 2013 - June 2019 | Ministry of Transport
or:Monthly electric and hybrid light vehicle registrations | Ministry of Transport

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Thanks Miggy, I didn’t know the source of this data

Vostok, not sure if you know that NZ has a large used car import market from Japan. For EV’s this has lead to used Nissan leafs being by far the biggest proportion of EV’s on the road (more than half of all EV’s I think)

also see evtalk monthly magazine, last few pages has this data and some details discussed. https://automediawebassets.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/evtalk_february2020.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Miggy
Thanks Miggy, interesting stuff scrolling through that tableau data. Excluding PHEVs, it appears that NZ had 14,099 BEVs in its fleet at the end of Dec 2019, so indeed more than Australia’s 10,949.

However it’s not clear if the NZ total also includes electric motorcycles and light vans. The Australian totals above exclude electric motorcycles, vans etc. so if they are in NZ’s total and were taken out, it might be a very close race (not in per capita terms though).

As of today, Total Australian production since 2014 up to today is 8304. Source: Vedaprime research down to individual vin level.

Model S - 2489
Model X - 1630
Model 3 - 4185
Very interesting stuff! Either 1744 Teslas have landed in Australia since 1 Jan 2020, which would be a truly impressive number, or the motor registry data I received last year has “integrity issues” and was under-reporting.

1047 Q1 2020 production number. You would also have some Q4 2019 production, registering in Q1 2020 in addition to what I have.

I am suspicious of Q3 2018. The numbers I have are unusually low. (It does coincide with no rwd and price increase).

If you have any vin detail I would love to check back to the ships for this time period. So if anything I might be under. I can tie every count I have to a vin.

Last edited:
Some data points from Tasmania.

We estimate the number of Tesla's in Tasmania is at least 60 (as at Sep-2020).

We know a local Nissan LEAF importer (sourcing used vehicles from Japan) has so far sold 52 (in one case 4 adjacent houses in one suburb purchased LEAFs - word-of-mouth can be powerful).

Our state transport department is working to provide categorisation of vehicle registration data based on propulstion type etc. My recent registration notice had "NA" under number of cylinders (previously it was categorised as 4-cylinder, so some progress on that aspect).