TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Finally! New voice and maps!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Aug 8, 2017.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

• Like x 2
  2. croman

croman Active Member

I'll actually be happy when I can evaluate it myself. I have no real issues with what maps and I usually mute the navigation voice because the cluster map is great. I can see how it could be useful but I'd rather they focus their efforts on AP2 and FSD.

• Like x 3
  3. kort677

kort677 Banned

I'll be more "excited" when it is actually available for my car

• Like x 1
  4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

I would hope that waypoints, and more streamlined interaction with Supercharger routing would be added to the system.

• Like x 10
  5. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

I hope it still says "Toll" (rhymes with doll) "road" - so quirky and cute.

• Funny x 1
  6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Hopefully they can implement voice with drivers profile? For instance some drivers like voice while others don't

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Naonak

Naonak Member

Yeah, the maps are so far out of date they are laughable. I no longer use the in car navigation because it's so useless. Sends you down roads that don't exist all the time, or routes you the extra long way because it doesn't know roads that were built 3 years ago exist.

I'm pretty disappointed with Tesla in this regard. There's literally no legitimate excuse they can bring to bear that excuses the fact that the internal high-resolution maps are 4+ years out of date. It's even more egregious when the cluster map is laughable when you look at the center console Goolge Map which has all the correct roads, but your cluster is routing over buildings and lakes.

• Like x 8
    • Helpful x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I agree with the bad directions. If I would follow them I'd always drive up wrong way streets, no streets, or a route that will cause me to run out of charge. I always rely on Google maps.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath for any new features.

• Like x 2
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I don't think they're 4+ years out of date, as my 4 year old car has received at least two map updates.

• Informative x 1
  11. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Map updates are partial. As in they could update downtown Austin and ignore/not update downtown Denver. The number of updates you receive doesn't preclude that someone could accurately say they see 4 year old map data in their region.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

My favorite is "Santee Cruz". I have no idea how Santa gets warped like that.

• Funny x 2
  13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

QUOTE: "Tesla vehicles in North America are using Navigon’s Q4 2015 maps, but the new modules are using 3 maps versions all dating from February to July 2017"

14. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

the code's all there. Just grab the updated maps from a tesla 3 next time you see one around ;)

Failing that, 8.2 is the hope (not that there's any timeline for when we'll see even that of course).

15. ccharleb

ccharleb Member

At least you guys have voice in your language... being from Canada, in Quebec, I would like to have it in French... but no. :(

16. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

what do you mean?
    Navigon maps contain not one, but two French voices for Canada:
    fre-CAN_Jocelyne_tts.nfs and fre-CAN_Lea_def_sound.nfs

• Informative x 1
  17. mitchellh3

mitchellh3 Member

They look good!

The framerate of the new maps is surprisingly good. Very smooth. It seemed to also be much more accurate about your GPS position. I imagine that's just an illusion from the higher framerates. But looks good!

• Like x 1
  18. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

You have access to a model 3 now in Tennessee????

19. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

If you look at 2:20 of the video, the new UI is actually giving bad advice on what lanes you could be in. I preferred the old way that gave you a graphic of the interchanges/exit lanes.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Don't pay attention to the position, because I am too lazy to reconstruct IC image from captured can data, I just drove the same route twice, but traffic being what it is, it was not exact, so while I edited it some it's still not 100% matching, just within a few seconds.
    I could have done two videos one with every ic picture separate, but then correlating them is hard, I wanted to have a comparison side by side for better illustrative purposes.

The routes are different. A lot closer to what google maps would suggest which is both good (modern) and bad (the second trip in the video it actually decided to choose a longer less optimal route where as navigon went for the most convenient one).

ugh, no, but the maps are from a model 3, since they did not release new maps for anywhere but Taiwan yet on model S/X.

Yes, so I am trying to raise awareness about this upcoming change (I know not everybody loves cards, but just dropping them like that is going to make things worse in some places) before it's too late. The slider "until next turn" is also gone which I think is bad too.
    I know some people dislike cards because they obscure the map view, but they could have displayed them on the other side of the dash for example or come up with some other solution other than dropping them altogether.

• Love x 6
    • Like x 5