Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! New voice and maps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies, @croman , @TexasEV , @AnxietyRanger and @mitchellh3 I used to love Navigon when I used it on my phone in my previous car. Hopefully the new Tesla maps will be as good or better. I do like that new voice but I really prefer the 3D angled maps of the Navigon system. I guess I'll see which system my new car will be using once I get it in September. The wait is agonizing!

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Yeah, the maps are so far out of date they are laughable. I no longer use the in car navigation because it's so useless. Sends you down roads that don't exist all the time, or routes you the extra long way because it doesn't know roads that were built 3 years ago exist.

I'm pretty disappointed with Tesla in this regard. There's literally no legitimate excuse they can bring to bear that excuses the fact that the internal high-resolution maps are 4+ years out of date. It's even more egregious when the cluster map is laughable when you look at the center console Goolge Map which has all the correct roads, but your cluster is routing over buildings and lakes.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the internal high-resolution maps being out of date. They're not. I was giving test drive of my car in Cincinnati to a buddy of mine yesterday... We came up to an intersection where they were building a new high school. It was on the satellite map (couldn't have been any older than 3-6 months old). They're pretty up-to-date in my experience, but this instance took the cake.

• Disagree
Reactions: bak_phy and Naonak
I am going to have to disagree with you on the internal high-resolution maps being out of date. They're not. I was giving test drive of my car in Cincinnati to a buddy of mine yesterday... We came up to an intersection where they were building a new high school. It was on the satellite map (couldn't have been any older than 3-6 months old). They're pretty up-to-date in my experience, but this instance took the cake.
The satellite map is google maps. That's not the internal maps which are what's displayed on the IC when you have navigation set.

As @TexasEV said, there's a disconnect between what we see on the satellite map and what is used for navigation. There are spots at which the satellite shows "hey, there's an onramp here" yet the nav system thinks you need to drive on the frontage road for miles to get back on the highway. You'll see the little blue line go right past the onramp displayed on the sat map. The supercharger in Gothenburg NE suffers from this, for example. In March our car had us get off I80 miles early to take a US highway to get to the charger. When we got to the charger, we see on the sat map that there is an off ramp right there that we could've taken had we stayed on the highway. The nav system just didn't know it. It was not a "shorter" or "faster" route to take the less direct US highway. Another owner (familiar with the area) at the SC confirmed that the nav system just doesn't know the exit is there.

As @TexasEV said, there's a disconnect between what we see on the satellite map and what is used for navigation. There are spots at which the satellite shows "hey, there's an onramp here" yet the nav system thinks you need to drive on the frontage road for miles to get back on the highway. You'll see the little blue line go right past the onramp displayed on the sat map. The supercharger in Gothenburg NE suffers from this, for example. In March our car had us get off I80 miles early to take a US highway to get to the charger. When we got to the charger, we see on the sat map that there is an off ramp right there that we could've taken had we stayed on the highway. The nav system just didn't know it. It was not a "shorter" or "faster" route to take the less direct US highway. Another owner (familiar with the area) at the SC confirmed that the nav system just doesn't know the exit is there.
And further complicating things - it appears that there are the Google street maps, the Google satellite maps, and then the data it uses for routing you (I think Navigon but not totally sure about that). The time frames for updating all of these are not necessarily in sync. The routing information is definitely the most out of date. It appears to be Q4 2015 roughly.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
And further complicating things - it appears that there are the Google street maps, the Google satellite maps, and then the data it uses for routing you (I think Navigon but not totally sure about that). The time frames for updating all of these are not necessarily in sync. The routing information is definitely the most out of date. It appears to be Q4 2015 roughly.

Well, the google maps are pulled down over the air. So it's completely up to date with whatever is on Google's servers.

I receive map updates every year. I seriously doubt Tesla is sending map updates to my car that are two years old.
Well, you are sort of right. The Q4 2015 maps update was pushed to you on or after Nov 2016, so it was not two years old just yet.
Previous to that you received Q1 2015 update that as distributed after Nov 2015.
Before that there was the Q4 2013 maps update that was distributed after Aug 2014 (all of these updates are for North America, things are worse for Australia, but better for China)

But after that Nov 2016 update there were no more updates so far and it appears the next jump would be to the openly gathered maps instead of buying the Navigon maps package as before.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
what do you mean?
Navigon maps contain not one, but two French voices for Canada:
fre-CAN_Jocelyne_tts.nfs and fre-CAN_Lea_def_sound.nfs

Maybe they are bundle with the car, but I can't find a way to change the speech language to French Canadian... do you know how?

All the displays is only available in English, no choice... at least for us in North America. In Europe and maybe elsewhere, they can change the language, and French is even available!

Christian