Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally ordered my CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally ordered my CPO last week: 2013 Model S 85. I am excited to say the least. I did want to share one thing for other members that may be ordering that was a surprise to me.

Buying a Tesla is different in the fact that you are buying from the manufacturer. So in saying that, I did not know that the Tax and registration fees are all paid by me upfront at the DMV. I am used to buying from a dealership who normally just rolls this into the loan. That is an additional amount of money maybe $1000 - $2500 that you will need outside of your purchase. For some this may not be a big deal. For me It was a surprise so I had to regroup for a minute.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Finally ordered my CPO last week: 2013 Model S 85. I am excited to say the least. I did want to share one thing for other members that may be ordering that was a surprise to me.

Buying a Tesla is different in the fact that you are buying from the manufacturer. So in saying that, I did not know that the Tax and registration fees are all paid by me upfront at the DMV. I am used to buying from a dealership who normally just rolls this into the loan. That is an additional amount of money maybe $1000 - $2500 that you will need outside of your purchase. For some this may not be a big deal. For me It was a surprise so I had to regroup for a minute.
The tax issue is because of our lovely state of TX. Tesla is not allowed to sell in TX so you are technically buying through CA and then you have pay the tax at your county assessors office.

more info in this thread. I believe primarily deals with new cars but CPOs should be the same.
The Texas Delivery & Registration Process

The decision to finance those chargers are usually yours, regardless of the state, but also dependent on the lender.

Not in Texas. In Texas you are actually buying the car out of state and just having it delivered to TX. So Tesla has no direct interaction with the local DMV for taxes and registration.

So there is no way to finance the amount since its an entirely separate transaction. (Well I suppose you could get a separate loan just for the taxes and fees, but that seems overly complicated.)

Reactions: bharned3
Here is a pic sent to me I have not seen the car yet. Another scary thing about buying a CPO.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 69
Here is a pic sent to me I have not seen the car yet. Another scary thing about buying a CPO.

Yes, buying a CPO is an act of faith, even more so in Texas, since I believe you will have to finalize the transaction prior to shipment. On mine, I was at least able to not pay until delivery day so that I could inspect the car and back out if it didnt meet my expectations.
My car was in great shape and I was very happy, but I have heard stories from others that werent so good.

Ask for a copy of the inspection sheet prior to paying for the car. That way you can at least see what work they did (mine had a frunk dent repaired, wheel rash repaired and a drive unit replacement)

So there is no way to finance the amount since its an entirely separate transaction. (Well I suppose you could get a separate loan just for the taxes and fees, but that seems overly complicated.)
Actually Alliant said they finance up to105% of the vehicle cost (yikes!) I presume to allow for taxes and registration.
In CO Tesla collects State Sales taxes, the rest is all collected at the local county DMV.

The tax issue is because of our lovely state of TX. Tesla is not allowed to sell in TX so you are technically buying through CA and then you have pay the tax at your county assessors office.

more info in this thread. I believe primarily deals with new cars but CPOs should be the same.
The Texas Delivery & Registration Process
You should contact your state legislators. Right now they're only listening to the car dealers. Don't know if it will do any good, but can't hurt.

Reactions: Jashev