TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Finally ordered my CPO

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bharned3, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bharned3

bharned3 Member

Finally ordered my CPO last week: 2013 Model S 85. I am excited to say the least. I did want to share one thing for other members that may be ordering that was a surprise to me.

Buying a Tesla is different in the fact that you are buying from the manufacturer. So in saying that, I did not know that the Tax and registration fees are all paid by me upfront at the DMV. I am used to buying from a dealership who normally just rolls this into the loan. That is an additional amount of money maybe $1000 - $2500 that you will need outside of your purchase. For some this may not be a big deal. For me It was a surprise so I had to regroup for a minute.

• Informative x 1
  2. skitch23

skitch23 Member

Interesting. Nobody has mentioned that to me yet and I will be picking up (hopefully) this week. Maybe it varies by state?

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

The tax issue is because of our lovely state of TX. Tesla is not allowed to sell in TX so you are technically buying through CA and then you have pay the tax at your county assessors office.

more info in this thread. I believe primarily deals with new cars but CPOs should be the same.
    The Texas Delivery & Registration Process

• Like x 3
  4. ahurst

ahurst Member

CONGRATS!
    Pics please

5. jevan43

jevan43 Member

The decision to finance those chargers are usually yours, regardless of the state, but also dependent on the lender.

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Not in Texas. In Texas you are actually buying the car out of state and just having it delivered to TX. So Tesla has no direct interaction with the local DMV for taxes and registration.

So there is no way to finance the amount since its an entirely separate transaction. (Well I suppose you could get a separate loan just for the taxes and fees, but that seems overly complicated.)

• Like x 1
  7. bharned3

bharned3 Member

Here is a pic sent to me I have not seen the car yet. Another scary thing about buying a CPO.

Attached Files:

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Yes, buying a CPO is an act of faith, even more so in Texas, since I believe you will have to finalize the transaction prior to shipment. On mine, I was at least able to not pay until delivery day so that I could inspect the car and back out if it didnt meet my expectations.
    My car was in great shape and I was very happy, but I have heard stories from others that werent so good.

Ask for a copy of the inspection sheet prior to paying for the car. That way you can at least see what work they did (mine had a frunk dent repaired, wheel rash repaired and a drive unit replacement)

9. bharned3

bharned3 Member

Great suggestion I will do that. I hope all goes well. I have read some of those stories in here.

10. ev-now

ev-now Member

Actually Alliant said they finance up to105% of the vehicle cost (yikes!) I presume to allow for taxes and registration.
    In CO Tesla collects State Sales taxes, the rest is all collected at the local county DMV.

11. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Congratulations! Got my CPO S85 this past December and I understand your leap of faith. It was well worth it. I couldn't be happier with the car.

• Like x 1
  12. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

You should contact your state legislators. Right now they're only listening to the car dealers. Don't know if it will do any good, but can't hurt.

• Like x 1