Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally ordered my MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tax credit only applies to cars sold in the U.S., so the number is much lower than 150k for purposes of the credit. There is a lengthy phaseout of the tax credit, so if Tesla manages the ramp up appropriately, a huge number will benefit from the tax break, far in excess of the actual 200k limit. A number of detailed news reports have been written on the mechanics of this.

• Informative
Reactions: Mickie
Looks like Elon's plan to clear up some of the M3 waiting list worked.
Congrats! I think you made a wise decision.
Downside is each 60 sold is one less $7500 credit available to a M3 reservation holder.
I had not planned on an S but I mistakenly went for a test drive :) It was even better than I imagined and convinced me I must have an S! I will keep my M3 reservation but will not be in anyones way regarding the list. My wife's Lexus is leased until 2019 anyway so i will ask Tesla about putting my reservation on hold. I don't know what the policy is regarding that. As far as the tax credit goes I felt I had a chance at getting at least a half credit. 250k on the list, in NY etc....That $7500 will be long gone IMHO.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
The tax credit only applies to cars sold in the U.S., so the number is much lower than 150k for purposes of the credit. There is a lengthy phaseout of the tax credit, so if Tesla manages the ramp up appropriately, a huge number will benefit from the tax break, far in excess of the actual 200k limit. A number of detailed news reports have been written on the mechanics of this.
Good point on US models, I didn't even think about the exports. Thanks for that

Man... Wifey and I had a talk last night and now leaning more towards financing it... This wait is killing us, and generating more back and forth about the car.

New reasons are... Wife didn't want to be locked up for 3years, just in case we get the M3 before the 3yrs lease is up... She wants the option of just able to sell the car, if we decide to downgrade to a M3. She also thinks, buying a model S will move us up in the reservation list. She wants to tint the windows of the car for our 2.5mos old daughter. We were also reading the lease return policy. From what we read, it look like Tesla wants the car back in prestine condition. I mean almost as prestine when it rolled out of the factory hehehe...

That's where we currently stand, it sound like we won't make a final decision until close to delivery time.

Last edited:
Man... Wifey and I had a talk last night and now leaning more towards financing it... This wait is killing us, and generating more back and forth about the car.

New reasons are... Wife didn't want to be locked up for 3years, just in case we get the M3 before the 3yrs lease is up... She wants the option of just able to sell the car, if we decide to downgrade to a M3. She also thinks, buying a model S will move us up in the reservation list. She wants to tint the windows of the car for our 2.5mos old daughter. We were also reading the lease return policy. From what we read, it look like Tesla wants the car back in prestine condition. I mean almost as prestine when it rolled out of the factory hehehe...

That's where we currently stand, it sound like we won't make a final decision until close to delivery time.
I walked into your thread a 100% finance man, now about 12 different factors have cropped up since then, making me debate leasing. I'm going in to discuss specifics to see if keeping the car at term end is feasible (almost always isn't). But Illinois cuts half off the sales tax when you lease, then there's the keeping more money in your pocket at delivery time with nearly identical payments, which I'm keen with.

More to come...

That makes sense if you think you'll want to part with it before 36 months is up. It is costly to break the lease early, so better off buying if you you can't keep for 3 years. Leasing qualifies as ownership for purposes of the priority on the M3. I confirmed this with my service center, so either way you are covered.

Ok, so preliminary, personal scenario with numbers I came up with on the napkin which favors financing over lease based on my $90k configuration. Here goes..

12k/yr lease-- $10,464 down (includes 2.5k order payment). $1052 per month. (This is using Tesla's lease calculator that states the 7.5k tax credit is already figured into the payment.

Finance car @$95,935 (taxes, discount, etc., total out the door)-- 20% down $21,687=$973/month

LEASE SCENARIO
Shell out roughly half the down payment, make your monthlies for a total of $37,872, then give the car back and get hussy patted on the ass for the $395 disposition fee on your way out. $38,267 total. Vanished. Gone.

FINANCE SCENARIO
100% higher down payment versus the lease, but, let's say the car's worth roughly 58k after 3 years and 36k miles (I settled on this number looking at a large number of 2013's on autotrader, both private and dealer advertisements. Pretty sure we're in agreement the 60D w/75 upgrade option will retain a nice value, but let's play a down scenario). Using an amortization chart @1.74% interest over 6.5 years and October 1st as initial payment, in that same month in 2019, you'll have paid $33,031 into the car. Add the $21,687 down payment and you're at $54,718 invested. You can spin the 7.5k tax credit any way you want since a lot of factors are involved in that, but for sake of argument, say you're able to collect the full amount and throw it on top of the car--$62,218 total invested. Minus that from the out-the-door price=$33,717 balance left on the car. So with, without, or meeting the tax credit somewhere in the middle, if you choose to sell at the 3 year mark, you're roughly getting your down payment back to do what you will with, all while building equity and owning the car.

My conclusion: If you're fine doubling down on the down payment and exercising a little diligence with a private sale in 3 years (if you even want to sell at that point), financing seems the all-around better bet, and you get to keep your tints, Miggz! Payments with the financing plan are $79/month lower as well.

I really hope this gave more in-depth perspective, and, if my numbers or strategies here seem askew, please call them out! This was done at 1am lol.

Ok, so preliminary, personal scenario with numbers I came up with on the napkin which favors financing over lease based on my $90k configuration. Here goes..

12k/yr lease-- $10,464 down (includes 2.5k order payment). $1052 per month. (This is using Tesla's lease calculator that states the 7.5k tax credit is already figured into the payment.

Finance car @$95,935 (taxes, discount, etc., total out the door)-- 20% down $21,687=$973/month

LEASE SCENARIO
Shell out roughly half the down payment, make your monthlies for a total of $37,872, then give the car back and get hussy patted on the ass for the $395 disposition fee on your way out. $38,267 total. Vanished. Gone.

FINANCE SCENARIO
100% higher down payment versus the lease, but, let's say the car's worth roughly 58k after 3 years and 36k miles (I settled on this number looking at a large number of 2013's on autotrader, both private and dealer advertisements. Pretty sure we're in agreement the 60D w/75 upgrade option will retain a nice value, but let's play a down scenario). Using an amortization chart @1.74% interest over 6.5 years and October 1st as initial payment, in that same month in 2019, you'll have paid $33,031 into the car. Add the $21,687 down payment and you're at $54,718 invested. You can spin the 7.5k tax credit any way you want since a lot of factors are involved in that, but for sake of argument, say you're able to collect the full amount and throw it on top of the car--$62,218 total invested. Minus that from the out-the-door price=$33,717 balance left on the car. So with, without, or meeting the tax credit somewhere in the middle, if you choose to sell at the 3 year mark, you're roughly getting your down payment back to do what you will with, all while building equity and owning the car.

My conclusion: If you're fine doubling down on the down payment and exercising a little diligence with a private sale in 3 years (if you even want to sell at that point), financing seems the all-around better bet, and you get to keep your tints, Miggz! Payments with the financing plan are $79/month lower as well.

I really hope this gave more in-depth perspective, and, if my numbers or strategies here seem askew, please call them out! This was done at 1am lol.

Nice... My wife and I ran the numbers the same as you did. With Finance we at least get our down payment back if we decide to sell the car in 2-3 years. Even though my finance is $75 higher than the lease, I don't mind paying that extra for a little peace of mind that I don't have to worry about staying with in all the lease terms and rules.

With your 20% down, is that included tax, reg fees, delivery? Or is that on top?

Last edited:
Nice... My wife and I ran the numbers the same as you did. With Finance we at least get our down payment back if we decide to sell the car in 2-3 years. Even though my finance is $75 higher than the lease, I don't mind paying that extra for a little peace of mind that I don't have to worry about staying with in all the lease terms and rules.

With your 20% down, is that included tax, reg fees, delivery? Or is that on top?
Amen about the lease rules. And yep, that 20% down includes all taxes, fees, etc. I went straight off their pro-forma MVPA estimated price sheet, which I confirmed with my DS would be identical to my finalized MVPA.

Amen about the lease rules. And yep, that 20% down includes all taxes, fees, etc. I went straight off their pro-forma MVPA estimated price sheet, which I confirmed with my DS would be identical to my finalized MVPA.

Are you going with Alliant or Tesla finance?... I heard that Alliant doesn't provide RVG... Only thing that I'm worried about financing. Not saying my Volt is the same car, but my Volt took a big dive in value. Luckily I'm leasing my Volt.

Are you going with Alliant or Tesla finance?... I heard that Alliant doesn't provide RVG... Only thing that I'm worried about financing. Not saying my Volt is the same car, but my Volt took a big dive in value. Luckily I'm leasing my Volt.
I went with Alliant. I believe Tesla's loan is around a percent higher. And I think the RVG is giving back approximately 52k of the above example, coupled with a higher interest rate. Plus you need to abide by service rules and possibly mileage to get that--hello lease similarities. I suppose it's risk management incase of freakish depreciation, but moreover seems like a no-haggle way to sell/ trade in your car albeit at a handsome premium of between 6-10k, again going off the example.

I'm not dead set on selling in 3 years so it makes even less sense for me; I think I can handle the haggle of a private sale and reap the extra money if I do. Definitely care free insurance for someone who is, though.

Last edited:
I am going to place after the test drive this weekend but trying to figure out if best to lease or buy which is the age old question.

Details:
$67,500 configured S60
Down payment will be about $2-3k
$5500 due at signing for a lease and payment at $779
*all based on Tesla leasing calculator which I am unsure how accurate

Same details but financed with a finance calculator:
Alliant 1.72/72 months
$3k down
$879 per month

I am one to switch cars every 2-4 years so leasing seems like the better option for me as I have never fully paid off a car and jump consistently.

Seems leasing is my choice right now based on the numbers.

I am financing and "may" sell in three years. One thing to take into consideration regarding resale value. The Model 3 may lower the S resale value once it is out on the road. I do not know this of course but it is very possible. Personally it depends on how far the tech has gotten in 3 years from now whether or not I keep my S. Today, if you had a 3 year old S it would have the different front end and more importantly ---no AP! I can understand the leasees, but I will finance. Thank you for crunching the numbers

Sure thing. I'm pretty confident the 3 won't have dire effects on the S as they're two different cars, the former being smaller, aimed at a different market, and less expensive, by far. I guess we'll see. I need to stop fretting as much though, because I'm beginning to take some of the fun out of this lol.

I am going to place after the test drive this weekend but trying to figure out if best to lease or buy which is the age old question.

Details:
$67,500 configured S60
Down payment will be about $2-3k
$5500 due at signing for a lease and payment at $779
*all based on Tesla leasing calculator which I am unsure how accurate

Same details but financed with a finance calculator:
Alliant 1.72/72 months
$3k down
$879 per month

I am one to switch cars every 2-4 years so leasing seems like the better option for me as I have never fully paid off a car and jump consistently.

Seems leasing is my choice right now based on the numbers.
Remember to run a scenario based on financing with intent to sell in three years. You might be doing yourself a disservice leasing vs. building equity and possibly realizing cash from a sale. With all the different factors at play, nowadays it seems you can sort of have your cake and eat it too with financing a Tesla.