Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, ordered my S85 and now have a few questions..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used each a couple of times, but more importantly, I have them in the seat pocket if I ever DO need them and there is no charge to have them, so...

Not entirely true, whether or not a Chargepoint station is free is up to the owner of the unit...some cost money (thus the need to register a credit car when setting up the account), some are free. Also, if I recall correctly, the Chargepoint account required a $25 deposit (used towards future electricity charges) when setting up the account.

Not entirely true, whether or not a Chargepoint station is free is up to the owner of the unit...some cost money (thus the need to register a credit car when setting up the account), some are free. Also, if I recall correctly, the Chargepoint account required a $25 deposit (used towards future electricity charges) when setting up the account.
You are correct that one has to post a $25 pre-payment deposit. My point was that there is not a recurring charge just to own the card. It is also my understanding (please anyone, correct me if this is wrong) that the $25 is not a base amount that has to be left in the account, but instead is applied to the use charges and when depleted will then result in a zero balance. If used after that the charges would be applied to the credit card used at account set-up. (Thanks wormhole, for the clarification.)

Another noob question: Seems like standard tire rotation is recommended ~every 5K miles. I used to just get it done every other oil change on my ICE car, but no more oil changes. What are people doing in terms of tire rotation? Where are you trusting tire rotation to? I drive 35K miles/year so thats a rotation every other month or so...

Thanks.

Tesla will do your first rotation at 6K free. After that, you can either pay to have them do it as part of an annual service visit, or just swing by your local tire place and have them do it. I think Discount Tire does rotations for free, even if you didn't buy the tires there.

Another noob question: Seems like standard tire rotation is recommended ~every 5K miles. I used to just get it done every other oil change on my ICE car, but no more oil changes. What are people doing in terms of tire rotation? Where are you trusting tire rotation to? I drive 35K miles/year so thats a rotation every other month or so...

Thanks.
They are just tires. For the 21" tires I more or less forgot about it till 10k, then I just replaced the rear set. At Sears. After another 7k (as you can tell, I'm pretty terrible about tire rotations) I decided to get 19" tires and put the 21s in a corner of the garage to wait for summer driving. I figure the 21s can get another 7k or so before they must be replaced but the 19s are really nicer for anything but performance oriented driving. All the tire maintenance has been through Sears and America's Tire (got the 19" wheels through them) and the alignment was through the local service center.

Being that I am ordering my S85 in a few weeks I have a question too.

To what extent can normal auto mechanics work on this car? Can they replace the brake pads?
Yes.

Can they replace the tires?
Yes, many of us have switched from summer to winter tires; any normal shop can remove and replace the wheels, remove and remount the tires, it's all standard enough.

You need to have the correct tire pressure rating (which is really unusual, but is right there in the front doorframe) and the torque rating for the bolts (which is also really unusual, and ISN'T listed -- I always phone Tesla to get it).

You need to show the shop where the mounting points for lifting the car are so they don't hit the battery with their jack.

You need to puit the car into "jack mode" before they lift it, and they'll appreciate it if you also put it into "very high".

Can they replace the brake fluid?
Discouraged. (How often do you replace brake fluid? I've never replaced it on any car unless something went seriously wrong.) I think it would be possible in an emergency, once you know how to disassamble the plastic in the frunk; I've seen the brake fluid reservoir after a bunch of the front end plastic was disassembled for something, and it seems straightforward enough.

Is there brake fluid?
Yes. (The hydraulic brakes will still work if the power systems die.)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.
Yow. I drive much, much less than you, so I just rotate the tires when I switch from summer to winter or back.

....actually, I'm not even sure whether I rotate them or not. Because they get stored for six months without labels as to which wheel they came from, they probably get put back on at random.