Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally Over: A YEAR With Error "USB Device Malfunction UI_a112"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In June 2020, I started getting a strange error that would pop up randomly from time to time: USB Device Malfunction. UI_a112

Honestly, the error was livable, the USB ports would reset right away, but I would have interrupted USB recordings. The major issue was the error beep from the car making me think a braking emergency was about to happen and scare the crap out of me. This could happen randomly at any time.

In fact, it was so random that I could be in camp mode, sleeping in my car and it would happen at 3am and wake me up, startled.

During this year, I had brought my Tesla 3 into service on 6 different visits. Each visit, they would keep my car for a week and give me a rental. EVERY time, they would first blame it on the USB card I was using (which is the same USB card everyone here suggests, a Samsung class 10 128GB card). Then, Tesla would blame it on the fact that I was using a 3rd party charger for my phone. Because of this, after the first time they told me this, I disconnected this device and never plugged it in again. Still, the errors would persist. They changed the USB hub, and I would continually change the USB cards.

The many service visits were annoying. This error was so random, I don't blame Tesla for that, because it would sometimes take 48 hours in between showing up. But the error started getting more and more frequent, by the end happening 3 times per drive. All of these errors would show up in Tesla's notification logs.

Solutions included switching to a Tesla branded USB, throwing away the third party charger (even though it was never plugged in), resetting the Tesla to factory settings, not plugging in a USB (not an option for me with all the crazy drivers on the road), dealing with it, blaming the Tesla call center (this actually happened), and unknowing glances as if I was an annoying customer. Of course, none worked.

Finally, I got to the rare service center employee that actually listened to me. I told him that in early June 2020, I had my hardware upgraded to version 3, and that's when the USB issues started. In fact, the person who installed the HW 3 connected the rear camera wiring so that it bent a pin and wasn't showing up every time I put the car in reverse. So I wouldn't doubt if something else was wrong with the install.

At wits end, and another week in the service center, the service manager finally agreed to replace my T3 computer. It worked- I've had my Tesla for a full month now and not once have received the dreaded error.

I write this to let anyone else who has had this frustrating error come up that I did get a solution to the problem, and hope you do as well.

I've had pretty much the same problems as you except for your rear camera issue. And I've had same Tesla repairs that didn't work (4 new USB drives, new USB hub).

Last week they installed new MCU and the USB issue has disappeared.

However with the new MCU I can't get a software download beyond 2021.32.22. Tesla claims that version is the latest version available for my car (2018 Midrange).

• Informative
Reactions: Moonlight
I've had pretty much the same problems as you except for your rear camera issue. And I've had same Tesla repairs that didn't work (4 new USB drives, new USB hub).

Last week they installed new MCU and the USB issue has disappeared.

However with the new MCU I can't get a software download beyond 2021.32.22. Tesla claims that version is the latest version available for my car (2018 Midrange).
2021.32.22 is a current version of software, you just have to be patient and wait for a newer version. I also have that version on my car.

Reactions: jjrandorin
2021.32.22 is a current version of software, you just have to be patient and wait for a newer version. I also have that version on my car.
According to TeslaFi there are a lot of downloads of 2021.35.xxx, 2021.36.xxx, and 2040. I don't know what Tesla algorithm matches versions with configurations. But I do know that in my 3 years of ownership, I have gotten every major update every few weeks until now when my version is over 7 weeks old.

Thanks. I've had a very similar issue. They replaced the rear camera harness and that fixed some of it but I'm still having the USB problem. I've been holding out for a new software version, but I'll ask about this if it doesn't clear up.

According to TeslaFi there are a lot of downloads of 2021.35.xxx, 2021.36.xxx, and 2040. I don't know what Tesla algorithm matches versions with configurations. But I do know that in my 3 years of ownership, I have gotten every major update every few weeks until now when my version is over 7 weeks old.

Shrug... I also have 2021.32.22. FWIW I also have a 2018 model year model 3, but mine is a model 3P. I stopped paying (much) attention to software version my car is on a long while ago. I only know whats current because I moderate here.

Thanks. I've had a very similar issue. They replaced the rear camera harness and that fixed some of it but I'm still having the USB problem. I've been holding out for a new software version, but I'll ask about this if it doesn't clear up.
II's a pain either way. My USB problem was so bad that I couldn't rely on the dash-cam for protection. But getting a new MCU has its issues too: profiles lost, homelink connection lost, wifi credentials lost, etc

If replacing the MCU fixes the problem it's probably not a software issue. My 2 cents.

getting a new MCU has its issues too: profiles lost, homelink connection lost, wifi credentials lost, etc
Service actually copied over all of my info for me, so losing profiles didn't happen. I did have to reset homelink and wifi, but that took all of 2 minutes.

As for the "newer" software... the .36 software may be the FSD versions that are out there. Your installed version is the most widely installed version currently. I will also add that the software doesn't matter much in relation to the USB issue as I went a year of software updates always hoping for the next software update to cure the bug- which it never did.

My wife’s and my 2018 model 3’s were receiving this error message for the longest time. We both were using usb hubs and everything was fine until that update a year ago. I took my car to the SC and they told me it was caused by my Jeda hub. I’ve left it disconnected ever since and have yet to see this error. I am not sure if I start using it again if I will receive the error. I only have one usb connected for wireless charging and the other for my usb camera. I am tempted to hook it up again so I can use more USB’s

I have a 2022 LR Model 3 and this morning when I went to drive to work I had this same error. Have a SSD so thought it might be that and had same error with the Tesla thumb drive. Glad I found this thread as I have mobile service to install Homelink next week so will check with tech about a new MCU.

It was the MCU, its now fixed.
Was your MCU replaced under warranty? Tesla says the warranty on the MCU is only 2 years/25k miles after all the issues they had with MCU1.

We have been having USB issues too, getting the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. We have a 2016 Model S with HW3 & MCU2. We use a 500 GB Samsung T7 SSD. We only use 1 of the 2 USB ports. The passenger side one that we've used historically for the Sentry Mode drive has stopped working completely, any time we plug the drive in there it says we need to format it to use it. Plugging in to the driver side USB port usually works but occasionally gives the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. Unplugging the drive & plugging it back in usually works, but sometimes it takes a few times of unplugging & plugging it back in before it will start working again. Sometimes upon plugging in we immediately again get the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message, and other times we'll get the message that we need to format the drive first. I have reformatted the drive both with the quick formatting & the full formatting. I've formatted it both on Windows 10 & MacOS. Nothing seems to resolve it permanently. Any ideas?

Was your MCU replaced under warranty? Tesla says the warranty on the MCU is only 2 years/25k miles after all the issues they had with MCU1.

We have been having USB issues too, getting the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. We have a 2016 Model S with HW3 & MCU2. We use a 500 GB Samsung T7 SSD. We only use 1 of the 2 USB ports. The passenger side one that we've used historically for the Sentry Mode drive has stopped working completely, any time we plug the drive in there it says we need to format it to use it. Plugging in to the driver side USB port usually works but occasionally gives the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. Unplugging the drive & plugging it back in usually works, but sometimes it takes a few times of unplugging & plugging it back in before it will start working again. Sometimes upon plugging in we immediately again get the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message, and other times we'll get the message that we need to format the drive first. I have reformatted the drive both with the quick formatting & the full formatting. I've formatted it both on Windows 10 & MacOS. Nothing seems to resolve it permanently. Any ideas?
Mine was under warranty when it started to malfunction and was replaced under warranty.