Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally picked up my MS - have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a 3 month wait to get an inventory car, I finally picked up my new MS. All looks fine on the outside and I'm loving the ride but there are a couple of things I noticed that I'm not able to tell are normal:

1. The GPS thinks I'm constantly in Ocean Park. Yes, right smack dab in the middle. Should this resolve itself over time?

2. The radar isn't working and neither is autopilot or anything beyond that. The dashboard just shows my MS but I don't get any indicators of how far objects and cars are from me (I do get it when I'm reversing).

3. Randomly, there is a model X user guide in my glovebox.

The delivery center was an absolute madhouse. The staff told me most deliveries are inventory MSs. Maybe they were all held up by the braking system issue as well.

• Funny
Reactions: flyingbathtub
I forgot to add that the automatic headlights aren't working either.
I'm guessing you meant the automatic high beam feature. My experience with it is that it's erratic. I have times that it turn to highbeam expectedly and times where it should have, it didn't. I read from websites that there is a sensor behind the rear view mirror that activates it. I have tried various ways to simulate the environment that will trigger it but with no success. In the end, I gave up and turn off the feature totally. This is because when you have it turned on, it prevents you from turning on the highbeam when you really want it. The feature should have done so in these circumstances but it didn't. You can still high beam by holding the level but it defeats the purpose and you won't keep holding the level while negotiating a turn. I spoke to Tesla's hotline, they said Hong Kong is way too bright for it to be working the way it should. Not really a satisfactory answer from them but it's just one of the many irritating things in a Tesla that I have learnt to live with. I love the ride and the fact that I'm not paying for petrol anymore though.

I'm guessing you meant the automatic high beam feature. My experience with it is that it's erratic. I have times that it turn to highbeam expectedly and times where it should have, it didn't. I read from websites that there is a sensor behind the rear view mirror that activates it. I have tried various ways to simulate the environment that will trigger it but with no success. In the end, I gave up and turn off the feature totally. This is because when you have it turned on, it prevents you from turning on the highbeam when you really want it. The feature should have done so in these circumstances but it didn't. You can still high beam by holding the level but it defeats the purpose and you won't keep holding the level while negotiating a turn. I spoke to Tesla's hotline, they said Hong Kong is way too bright for it to be working the way it should. Not really a satisfactory answer from them but it's just one of the many irritating things in a Tesla that I have learnt to live with. I love the ride and the fact that I'm not paying for petrol anymore though.

Unfortunately, I am referring to the regular lights. They don't turn on unless I manually turn them on at night. Only the "eyeliner" ones turn on.

Sucks that I have to take it for service to get them other stuff ready. I would have thought they would have done some QC before since it sat in HK for a long time before getting TD approval on the braking system.

Unfortunately, I am referring to the regular lights. They don't turn on unless I manually turn them on at night. Only the "eyeliner" ones turn on.

Sucks that I have to take it for service to get them other stuff ready. I would have thought they would have done some QC before since it sat in HK for a long time before getting TD approval on the braking system.
Oh, that really sucks!

Unfortunately, there is really no concept of QC i guess for Tesla. Situation for Model X is even worse as per various forums/posts on fb.

Unfortunately, there is really no concept of QC i guess for Tesla. Situation for Model X is even worse as per various forums/posts on fb.

Tesla pushed a software update to me which resolved the lights and radar issues but my GPS is still stuck. I love how the DS tried the "autopilot isn't approved so the radar won't work" excuse. Why don't they just admit when they don't know?

Reactions: mkq786
Tesla pushed a software update to me which resolved the lights and radar issues but my GPS is still stuck. I love how the DS tried the "autopilot isn't approved so the radar won't work" excuse. Why don't they just admit when they don't know?

dont expect too much from Tesla HK, they are still riding on the customer's goodwill with Tesla as a whole company but locally their work has been subpar at best... i have written a few posts regarding personal experience with them and personally, i'm just not impressed at all. having said that, do consider that they have ample room and ability to improve, so keep your expectations low and patience high - we want tesla to do well as much as anyone does

this forum, along with /r/teslamotors, may be the best portal to useful information regarding your car. some digging/ research efforts would be necessary but i've found it to be worth it the majority of the time.

as for the build quality of tesla cars, yes indeed the panel gap tolerances are atrocious by european major car manufacturer standards. however, do bear in mind that the other manufacturers have had multiple decades of manufacturing experiences and machinery in place (and as i understand, it still takes around 6 months to fine tune each machinery adjustment to get cars to build at their accepatable tolerances at the big players).

the model S was notorious for panel tolerances, to the point that i actually spent 20 minutes armed with a massive check list and handheld torchlight when i went to get delievery of my pre-facelift 70D. luckily the majrority of panels aligned well enough on this particular car (yet nowhere near my previous second hand audi A3, A4, landrover freeland2, toyota sienta, mercedes c200) that i felt it acceptable. the welding at the rear trunk under the hatch, which you can see when the hatch is open, is ATROCIOUSLY BAD. (i'd take pictures but i'm currently away from home). the model X suffers simirlar issues, especially that those who purchase the X in HK are likely to come from very well made cars from porsche/audi/MB/BMW etc, so the quality just does not compare.

having said that tho, elon has had a few quips about the upcoming model 3 and he said to have upped the tolerance levels from 1mm variance to 0.2mm, which is a lot more inline with the big players. does this help us who already have our wonky cars? no, but surely we can look past that and see the real reasons we bought. current gen model S are much better made too it seems, so it's a good thing to new owners.

my apologies for another wall of text, this is what happens when one's away for work, sipping alcohol from the mini bar and have access to a physical keyboard

• Funny
Reactions: mkq786