Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally placed my order! Bunch of questions suddenly came up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this forum for probably the last year on a very regular basis, watching hours upon hours of YouTube videos for the past I don't know how long, I finally placed my order for a LR AWD M3 and am working with my SA on a post-June 4 build for the new version that comes with wireless charging and USB-C ports.

Looking at delivery, I know there are countless threads on what to look for and have those bookmarked. One thing I haven't really been able to get a clear idea of is at what point should I decline delivery? I've read some people just saying have Tesla note down the issues at delivery to ensure they're repaired and others saying decline if not up to standard. I, like many others, have not had to think about this sort of thing when getting a car in the past, so I don't know where to draw the line. I asked my SA about the process should I decline delivery and he basically said they'd try to get me a new car and not bother repairing the one attempted delivery on. Not sure if that's true or not.

My next step is to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage but I realized I didn't fully understand a few things about this. One, how long is the charging cord that comes with the car? If I need an extension on that, how would I get one? Also, do most people just keep all the charging equipment (cord/etc) at home and go about their way? I'm trying to picture how I would charge at a non-supercharger if I didn't have the equipment with me.

Finally, looking at accessories and things to buy for the car. Tint is obvious but are most people also tinting the roof? I thought it came with sufficient levels of tinting, but hearing people are still tinting it anyways. I know I need floor mats and think the general consensus is to go with the 3D MAXpider but as they're not available in Canada for 2020 versions yet, I'll need to hold off. PPF seems reasonable but are most doing it on their front bumper only, the whole front end or some other variation? I also need to figure out what to do with USB/SD cards for the teslacam now that I'll be using a USB-C port instead of the old USB-A and see if that changes my options. Any suggestions welcome.

Sorry for the long thread and tons of questions but appreciate the help in advance.

Reactions: Arctic_White
1. "when to reject delivery" is a personal decision. That would be when you dont feel comfortable about the number or type of items that need to be repaired. Note: if you go into the pickup with the thought in your mind that "I need to see if I am going to reject this car", you will likely find things that convince you to reject it. Try to go in with an open mind, and not looking specifically for "I need to reject this car over this" mindset. Go into it with the same mindset you had for your other cars, not some "special tesla mindset".

2. You dont want extension cords on your adapter. if you purchase the correct type, it can be done, but it is another point of failure. Especially if you are having an outlet put in, there is zero reason you would want to use an extension cord. Have the outlet put where the mobile connector can reach. A quick google search shows the tesla mobile connector has a 20 foot cable (direct from teslas website):

Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

As for "what do people do" they do some combination of:

1. plug and unplug the mobile connector and take it with them when they are going on a trip, or every day
2. Buy a second mobile connector to leave in the car, and leave one at home, and one in the car
3. buy the tesla wall connector (or other EVSE wall connector, and have that mounted at home, and leave the mobile connector in the car)

I went with number 3, because I like how the tesla wall connector looks, and it provided the fastest charging speed my car would take. I have been rolling around since December 2018 with my mobile connector in my trunk.. times I have actually needed to use it = 0 (zero). At the beginning I was like "what if I ... what if I.... what if I...." Shrug.. for me it hasnt happened, but I still feel comfortable dragging that mobile connector around every day.

I suggest either buying a second mobile connector (and getting a 14-50) or, even better, buying the tesla wall connector, and leaving the one that comes with the car, in the car. Of course, you would be fine just taking the one that comes with the car when you go on a trip, as well, but, for me, I like to have the home charging setup "setup".

3. I tinted my roof, because the car has a lot of glass, and I wanted it cooler in the cabin. Not sorry I did in the slightest. I tinted it same as side and back windows, so of course that made the roof "darker" because it already has tint. I can see through it, but its dark. I didnt WANT "light streaming in" from the roof, and I wanted heat rejection. YMMV on that, its not necessary but it was good for me and I am happy with it.

On the "usb port" issue, I use the USB adapters made by one of our form members here who is a hardware engineer in his "day" job and created USB adapters to fill a need he saw in his own model 3 for fast charging. He is making a gen 2 product to support the USB C / model Y.

On the PPF, I didntt do it, but mostly because when I bought my model 3, the out the door price was like 78k US after taxes etc and I didnt have the money. I just decided that I would get a color change wrap in a few years if I was unhappy with number of paint chips /scratches, because it would cost roughly the same amount of money then as PPF costs now, and let me feel like I am getting a new car again. Again YMMV

@Navak tagging you here to see if you can point this user to your gen 1 and gen 2 usb adapters.

OP, quite a few of us have the adapters from @Navak and are very happy with them. Much better than cable splitters etc.

1. "when to reject delivery" is a personal decision. That would be when you dont feel comfortable about the number or type of items that need to be repaired. Note: if you go into the pickup with the thought in your mind that "I need to see if I am going to reject this car", you will likely find things that convince you to reject it. Try to go in with an open mind, and not looking specifically for "I need to reject this car over this" mindset. Go into it with the same mindset you had for your other cars, not some "special tesla mindset".

2. You dont want extension cords on your adapter. if you purchase the correct type, it can be done, but it is another point of failure. Especially if you are having an outlet put in, there is zero reason you would want to use an extension cord. Have the outlet put where the mobile connector can reach. A quick google search shows the tesla mobile connector has a 20 foot cable (direct from teslas website):

Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

As for "what do people do" they do some combination of:

1. plug and unplug the mobile connector and take it with them when they are going on a trip, or every day
2. Buy a second mobile connector to leave in the car, and leave one at home, and one in the car
3. buy the tesla wall connector (or other EVSE wall connector, and have that mounted at home, and leave the mobile connector in the car)

I went with number 3, because I like how the tesla wall connector looks, and it provided the fastest charging speed my car would take. I have been rolling around since December 2018 with my mobile connector in my trunk.. times I have actually needed to use it = 0 (zero). At the beginning I was like "what if I ... what if I.... what if I...." Shrug.. for me it hasnt happened, but I still feel comfortable dragging that mobile connector around every day.

I suggest either buying a second mobile connector (and getting a 14-50) or, even better, buying the tesla wall connector, and leaving the one that comes with the car, in the car. Of course, you would be fine just taking the one that comes with the car when you go on a trip, as well, but, for me, I like to have the home charging setup "setup".

3. I tinted my roof, because the car has a lot of glass, and I wanted it cooler in the cabin. Not sorry I did in the slightest. I tinted it same as side and back windows, so of course that made the roof "darker" because it already has tint. I can see through it, but its dark. I didnt WANT "light streaming in" from the roof, and I wanted heat rejection. YMMV on that, its not necessary but it was good for me and I am happy with it.

On the "usb port" issue, I use the USB adapters made by one of our form members here who is a hardware engineer in his "day" job and created USB adapters to fill a need he saw in his own model 3 for fast charging. He is making a gen 2 product to support the USB C / model Y.

On the PPF, I didntt do it, but mostly because when I bought my model 3, the out the door price was like 78k US after taxes etc and I didnt have the money. I just decided that I would get a color change wrap in a few years if I was unhappy with number of paint chips /scratches, because it would cost roughly the same amount of money then as PPF costs now, and let me feel like I am getting a new car again. Again YMMV

@Navak tagging you here to see if you can point this user to your gen 1 and gen 2 usb adapters.

OP, quite a few of us have the adapters from @Navak and are very happy with them. Much better than cable splitters etc.

Thanks for the thorough response here. I definitely don't want to walk into the delivery looking for issues but at the same time given the stories I've heard about the service center, I also want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot and setting myself up for months of pain.

Regarding the roof tint, did you drive it without the tint and decide later on you were getting too hot or was this something you decided upfront and were going to do regardless?

For the USB, while that's good to know, I don't think it's quite what I was after here. Can you explain a bit more what you're talking about with the adapter? Why would I need that? Is that just for fast-charging? If so, wouldn't the USB-C address that natively?

I was going to get tint anyway and decided on getting the roof tinted when I got the rest done, so didnt drive much without tint on it.

You said "I need to figure out what to do about the teslacam...".. you need to decide whether you are going to use a regular USB drive, or a SD card with adapter that is ment for constant writing, and also whether you are going to have music on a storage drive you will want to play etc.

Thats the point of the adapter, as you will likely need some type of adapter anyway.

I was going to get tint anyway and decided on getting the roof tinted when I got the rest done, so didnt drive much without tint on it.

You said "I need to figure out what to do about the teslacam...".. you need to decide whether you are going to use a regular USB drive, or a SD card with adapter that is ment for constant writing, and also whether you are going to have music on a storage drive you will want to play etc.

Thats the point of the adapter, as you will likely need some type of adapter anyway.

Oh okay, thanks. I misunderstood and thought you were saying you needed an adapter for a USB then read again and figured out you were talking about for scenarios using an SD/SSD card instead

@jjrandorin thanks!

@Edge welcome to the forum! AWD M3 certainly is very capable vehicle, for sure you will like it.
Navak USB splitter (Gen 1) currently is available at amazon. Gen 2 version (with built-in microSD reader) I can ship you direct. Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

If the car needs work and you dont think it can be done then decline delivery. I declined my first delivery because the rear glass was shifted to one side. Tesla told me that even though it looks off its in tolerance. Theres no one else that would fix that issue for me within a reasonable cost so I walked away. The second car had a few paint bumps and a crooked passenger door. Tesla put the door on the due bill and I got it detailed to fix up the paint spots. I took that car. Tesla did a great job on the door as well.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I dont think you'll find a perfect paint Model 3 no matter what people here say. I would be especially worried with red as people seem to have matching issues at bumpers. Look for primer only areas in visible spots. Panel gaps can all be fixed but make sure you get it on a due bill to formalize it.

18k miles and I have never used my mobile charging cord. I am not sure if I have even unzipped it... I have the wall connector installed and that is 95+% of my charging sessions.

Only thing you should need to keep in your car is the J1772 adapter. I have used that at public charging stations a number of times.

Otherwise, on road trips, the Supercharger network has worked nearly flawlessly.

I thought I would need the mobile connector more than I did (obviously)