Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally placed my order tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed about a week ago and have been tempted to call every day. I just keep telling myself that it is unnecessary, but has taken every bit of willpower not to call. It has been a week, so may be too late now anyway????

@jay I am in the same boat. I even took another test drive of an S85 and P85 back to back to give myself a good A/B test. My A/B test didn't convince me that the launch feel of the P85 was noticeably better than an S85. My impression is that the extra torque shows up better when already at speed > 0. The differences for me didn't feel $10K better. For me it was a mistake for TMC to unbundle some of the other options from Performance. I would have definitely upgraded based on the old bundled $10K Performance option. Days later however I am still second guessing myself and holding myself off from begging to upgrade. It is non-stop stressful for me. And I think the only real relief will be to get my car. Sadly that is still some ways off.

@jay I am in the same boat. I even took another test drive of an S85 and P85 back to back to give myself a good A/B test. My A/B test didn't convince me that the launch feel of the P85 was noticeably better than an S85. My impression is that the extra torque shows up better when already at speed > 0. The differences for me didn't feel $10K better. For me it was a mistake for TMC to unbundle some of the other options from Performance. I would have definitely upgraded based on the old bundled $10K Performance option. Days later however I am still second guessing myself and holding myself off from begging to upgrade. It is non-stop stressful for me. And I think the only real relief will be to get my car. Sadly that is still some ways off.

Hate to stress you out more, but may want to have a read--sure P+ isn't of interest?
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...sions-from-a-non-sports-car-guy-(long-w-pics)

Hate to stress you out more, but may want to have a read--sure P+ isn't of interest?
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...sions-from-a-non-sports-car-guy-(long-w-pics)

Yeah, I read that one and it pulls! I think the handling is really appealing to me. Too bad you can't get an S85+ I think I would pay that differential first.

For the record, I wanted and fully expected a nice shove difference between the S85 and P85. I expected to walk away from my test saying "I MUST HAVE IT!" I was truly disappointed that it wasn't there for me. My wife was ready for me to make the change - I just couldn't tell her "I gotta have it!" It just felt wrong to pay for the difference I didn't experience.

Maybe my A/B was flawed and I missed out on the experience that would have clearly flipped me. That is the dilemma I spend my time wrestling with daily. The only solution is to get my hands on my car because I know I will be happy. A tortured soul :(

Yeah, I read that one and it pulls! I think the handling is really appealing to me. Too bad you can't get an S85+ I think I would pay that differential first.

For the record, I wanted and fully expected a nice shove difference between the S85 and P85. I expected to walk away from my test saying "I MUST HAVE IT!" I was truly disappointed that it wasn't there for me. My wife was ready for me to make the change - I just couldn't tell her "I gotta have it!" It just felt wrong to pay for the difference I didn't experience.

Maybe my A/B was flawed and I missed out on the experience that would have clearly flipped me. That is the dilemma I spend my time wrestling with daily. The only solution is to get my hands on my car because I know I will be happy. A tortured soul :(

The convincer for me was how much it costs to shave a full SECOND off 0 to 60 with other high end cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. Dropping a whole second for 10 grand is actually pretty cheap and a 4 second car is going to have better resale. I'm really glad I took the plunge and upgraded NOW but I went through the same struggle before I did it. I actually started out with a 60 kWh motor and slowly worked my way up. :D

The convincer for me was how much it costs to shave a full SECOND off 0 to 60 with other high end cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. Dropping a whole second for 10 grand is actually pretty cheap
Of course, then you consider that the S85 itself is already priced like the second-faster BMW/Audi/Mercedes/etc, and it's not quite as obvious. The S85/M5 similarly equipped are both around $90k.

I'm glossing over some of the Tesla's strengths, for sure, but I think that's why the above argument never really swayed me. As someone with a P85 on order, I hope when I go to sell it everyone thinks it's a very convincing argument, though. :wink:

The convincer for me was how much it costs to shave a full SECOND off 0 to 60 with other high end cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. Dropping a whole second for 10 grand is actually pretty cheap and a 4 second car is going to have better resale. I'm really glad I took the plunge and upgraded NOW but I went through the same struggle before I did it. I actually started out with a 60 kWh motor and slowly worked my way up. :D

I started at a 60kWh as well. I stopped myself at the S 85 though. I knew if I didn't get an 85 I would regret it and since I've driven both versions of the 85 the S 85 is quick enough for my liking. :)

@gizmo and doctrewho - thank you! I think I need to remind myself that I was not initially attracted to MS based on raw performance but rather the styling, the ride, the technology and no gas. That the S85 has fantastic performance is awesome. Do I need to take it to 11? There is definitely the part of me that wants to chase that.

@gizmo and doctrewho - thank you! I think I need to remind myself that I was not initially attracted to MS based on raw performance but rather the styling, the ride, the technology and no gas. That the S85 has fantastic performance is awesome. Do I need to take it to 11? There is definitely the part of me that wants to chase that.

Your build is awesome--don't worry about about us 'P enablers'--we are just helping those that are on the edge.

I can't wait to see your beauty--you're going to love the blk/blk and carbon! VERY sharp.

I think a lot of it is where you are coming from. Texex91 is coming from high end sports cars, and it only makes sense he would never be happy with anything less than a p85+.

I'm coming from "normal" cars (Acura MDX, Camry Hybrid and Chevy Volt) and the S85 is so much more than any of those, it's really more than enough for me.

Also, while the S85 may "only" be a 5 second 0-60 car, but it feels faster than that due to the smooth EV torque. I'm pretty sure that will "launch" feeling will never get old. :)

I think a lot of it is where you are coming from. Texex91 is coming from high end sports cars, and it only makes sense he would never be happy with anything less than a p85+.

I'm coming from "normal" cars (Acura MDX, Camry Hybrid and Chevy Volt) and the S85 is so much more than any of those, it's really more than enough for me.

Also, while the S85 may "only" be a 5 second 0-60 car, but it feels faster than that due to the smooth EV torque. I'm pretty sure that will "launch" feeling will never get old. :)

Bingo--well said :wink:

That's why I always ask what car one is coming from, as that really will dictate (outside of cost) which model will fit their driving style.

At the end of the day all flavors of the S are awesome!

@Tex Yes, I am excited for the Black/Black/Carbon look. Your car looks awesome.

@Liuping That is a good perspective. I am definitely not coming from the high end sports car space (though jealous!). I will probably wrangle with this one more day and then I have to make peace with my choice and get back to being excited. It would just be so much easier to be satisfied if I had my car. I am the type that has always wanted to drive the car off the lot once I've made my choice. To me waiting 6 - 8 weeks is a killer.

Compared to the SUV's I've driven for the last ~13 years the S85 is going to be a rocket. More performance is probably lost on me. Though I expect I will come to appreciate the finer points as I get used to it and try out P85+ loaners :) That's where TMC's sinister plan becomes clear. But I guess at that point I sell my S85 and buy a new P85+ with complete conviction! Or maybe by then it will be a P120++ ;)

Last edited:

True true. As I said in one of the other threads coming from a diesel Jetta the S85 is a screamer! :)

@Tex Yes, I am excited for the Black/Black/Carbon look. Your car looks awesome.

@Liuping That is a good perspective. I am definitely not coming from the high end sports car space (though jealous!). I will probably wrangle with this one more day and then I have to make peace with my choice and get back to being excited. It would just be so much easier to be satisfied if I had my car. I am the type that has always wanted to drive the car off the lot once I've made my choice. To me waiting 6 - 8 weeks is a killer.

Compared to the SUV's I've driven for the last ~13 years the S85 is going to be a rocket. More performance is probably lost on me. Though I expect I will come to appreciate the finer points as I get used to it and try out P85+ loaners :) That's where TMC's sinister plan becomes clear. But I guess at that point I sell my S85 and buy a new P85+ with complete conviction! Or maybe by then it will be a P120++ ;)

Been there, am doing that now. Both of my kids are old enough now that we don't need two big vehicles (my wife has a Toyota Sienna) so that's what led to me looking for a new car. Both my wife and I had sports cars when we were dating though. I had an '87 Corvette and she had a '95 Camaro Z28. So maybe that theory holds true for us too, although the "P" Tesla could easily smoke either one of those cars now. This will be the fastest 0 to 60 car I've ever had by far... My inner teenage child is jumping for joy. :)

Last edited:
Well the resale value of cars will definitely be different for the S85 and the P85. Just as a comparison for the companions the various cars hold:

0 to 60 mph list - Specifications - Car 0-60 mph List

Examples of ~5s cars:
Audi S6 ('06)
Audi S8 ('05)
BMW M5 ('07)

Now example of ~5s cars:
Audi S8 '12
Porsche 911
Porsche Panamera
Audi R8 spyder
Aston Martin Vanquish '12

You can notice that the years come forward and the company becomes more expensive. Therefore the car in comparison to peers will pick up residual value as well.

But what is probably the most true is your prior cars. If you come from ordinary cars or SUVs, then the S## is enough of a jump up that you'll find it blazing fast already :) If you come from sports cars or exotics, then the S85 with ~5.1s won't be that much more impressive except for the immediate torque and no hiccup for gear change, but the P85 will be amazing. You get more attuned to the cars you drive therefore if you regularly drive cars in the ~5s range, then you'll notice the difference to a 4s car while the 5s car will look ordinarish.

I know it from experience that if for what ever reason I don't drive my Evo X for a week and drive an SUV or smth and then step back into the Evo it's crazy fast for about the first 2-3 minutes again. After that I get back in the zone and it's the de-facto standard so I myself consider it normal car behavior and don't feel the crazyness as much (and am always surprised if my passengers grab for support or make faces). So that probably more than anything will determine what you'll get. And is why I went for the P upgrade ;)

(although that whole getting the P and P upgrade etc sounds bad, wouldn't be surprised if people feel even more right at calling those cars P**** extensions just for our talk of the P) ;)

But what is probably the most true is your prior cars. If you come from ordinary cars or SUVs, then the S## is enough of a jump up that you'll find it blazing fast already :) If you come from sports cars or exotics, then the S85 with ~5.1s won't be that much more impressive except for the immediate torque and no hiccup for gear change, but the P85 will be amazing. You get more attuned to the cars you drive therefore if you regularly drive cars in the ~5s range, then you'll notice the difference to a 4s car while the 5s car will look ordinarish.

Mario - Thanks for the 0-60 list. And your assessment of S85 vs P85 impact based on past cars one has driven.

In my case I'm one of those who has driven "ordinary" cars for the most of their life. In the beginning I had the desire but not the money. And now I have the money but not enough desire to push me to buy one, until now. The model s is the first car that has made passionate about driving again. Its performance, style handing, and technology resonate with me like no other car out there. And since I going from a class of cars that do 0-60 in about 10 seconds to one that does it in 5.0 AND instant torque, I'm betting that will satisfy me for quite some time.
S85 | Black | Black Roof | Std Interior | 19" | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Estimated Delivery: "November"

@ACD, giz, and doc. Thanks to all of you. I didn't get to drive an S85 vs P85, they just had the P when we were in Seattle (no sales office in Salt Lake). I have had that small twinge about the S vs P debate, but I've resisted. I agree that the whole performance thing is interesting, but in day to day use (at least for my wife and I who commute about 75 miles per day on a freeway down and backup up a mountain to/from work), the other factors are what is important. I just have to draw a line some place.

I'm still waiting for that email from the DS.....

Thanks.

Really tough to take a step down from performance car to boring applicance. I took a huge bump from Nissan 350Z roadster to Toyota Camry Hybrid when I got married. MS is so nice because it can be both a daily commuter - green EV - and outrageous performance car. That said I'm leaning towards a P85 with 21's for best combination of real world utility and FUN.

Of course, then you consider that the S85 itself is already priced like the second-faster BMW/Audi/Mercedes/etc, and it's not quite as obvious. The S85/M5 similarly equipped are both around $90k.

I'm glossing over some of the Tesla's strengths, for sure, but I think that's why the above argument never really swayed me. As someone with a P85 on order, I hope when I go to sell it everyone thinks it's a very convincing argument, though. :wink:

That is a good point, but when you consider operating costs (just fuel, ignoring maintenance), the S85 is MUCH cheaper. The S85 (in total cost) is probably closer to a $65k ICE car, not a $90k ICE car. My math was
$11,500 k tax credit (I am in IL)
+ $3k / year fuel cost (in Chicago and what I would drive instead of this car) * 5 (years I plan on owning the car)

~=$65k ICE car

I think that math works out well, and considering I was thinking about an A6 or 535, the S85 is a no-brainer. Same price, better car.