Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered 2016 Model S. Need help with selecting Insurance (Texas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla owners,
We finally pulled the trigger (aagghh after 2.5 hrs of running around) and ordered my new 2016 Model S75 (technically it would be my Wife's Tesla). This is an inventory model, so expecting it to be delivered within next 2 weeks. I am now looking for some recommendations for Insurance companies. My current insurance company do not insure Tesla's :mad:. So, started shopping around. I live in Dallas, Texas

Does anyone of you have any recommendations for any Insurance company ?
Anything to look for or cautious about, when insuring the Tesla (sorry this is my first EV) ?
Generally, what would be good liability limits ?
Any ball point range, what could be general cost of insuring the model S75 ?

Appreciate your help.

Liability limits aren't really the issue here -- you're no more, and quite likely less, likely to cause an accident in your Tesla than
in some other car. The big issue with Teslas is how d@mn expensive they are to repair, and in that sense traditional insurance
with its relatively low deductibles works in your favor (since even a modestly large deductible won't seem like much compared
to the likely repair cost :().

What you're really looking for these days is an insurance company that hasn't quite caught on to how big claims for a Tesla are
likely to be (and jacked their premiums up sky-high accordingly). State Farm doesn't seem too bad.

I have State Farm but also have our home and personal liability umbrella policy so discounts are applied because I have everything with them. My auto coverage is $250K/$500K/$100K and the quote I received for a P90D was $799 every six months.

Ahhh, the benefits of living in Tennessee! :)

Welcome to the Tesla family, my wife and I have only had ours a short time and we love the car.

We had Safeco for our home owners insurance and were able to bundle our Tesla and other cars on to the plan. Their rates seem to be in line with the lower rates I've seen others post. One hiccup is that they believe all cars have cylinders and the fewest possible is 3. So I may have one of the worlds few 3 cylinder S90Ds.

Congratulations on your Tesla! I used to have All State for my 2013 Lexus GS350 and then switched to a new Model S 90D and my rates lowered switching to Traveler's insurance. I'm 23, Male, clean driving record for the last 3 years. I would give them a call. Good luck!