Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally put ceramic on the car. Some lessons learned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For swirls on my Red Tesla, I use Griot's Correcting Cream with their Orange pad. 4 cross hatch patterns seems to get a majority of it out. I always start with the less abrasive (Griot's Perfecting Cream and yellow pad) in a small test corner and if that doesn't do anything, I go to the next level. There have been a few occasions where I had to use a microfiber pad with Griot's Fast Correcting Cream. What kind of pad are you using? I would say you might have get something a little more abrasive. I like using Griot's BOSS system because it tells/matches you with the right pad and compound.

Thanks for the input!

I was using the orange pad. I quite like Griot's system, so I probably will start using their creams. However, I don't have a BOSS buffer... that probably doesn't matter for matching up pads and polishes though, right?

Thanks for the input!

I was using the orange pad. I quite like Griot's system, so I probably will start using their creams. However, I don't have a BOSS buffer... that probably doesn't matter for matching up pads and polishes though, right?

I do not have the BOSS buffer either. I have their 6 inch random orbital one with that weird handle which I took off.

• Informative
Reactions: leporsche
Contrarian opinion ahead ...

Beadmaker certainly provides a slick glossy surface, but after trying it, I'm not sure it is the right topping for a ceramic coat. Loved the slick way the paint felt and the gloss, but the water shedding, dare I say beading, was far worse than either the ceramic coating itself, or the coating topped with either Reload or Hydro2. While Beadmaker has its uses, the following video matches my experience. Sticking with Reload as I don't see the point of a ceramic topper that degrades the ceramic performance. For me the best part of Beadmaker is that it doesn't last very long.

Car Craft Beadmaker Review

Hey, man! Nice job on the car. It looks beautiful.

I've had a hell of a time polishing my blue Model 3. There are some swirl marks in the hood, and I've been trying to get them out, but every time I attempt it, it looks no different afterwards. My buffer (Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital - Griot's Garage) is up to speed 5 and I'm using Meguiars G18016 Safe Rubbing Compound 16 Oz. as my compound.
I'm starting to think that I need to try a different compound, as this stuff is less expensive than the other products people seem to be using.

Did you have any particular difficulty in getting swirls out?
I don't want to mess up the paint, so higher speeds and rougher compounds make me nervous.
Start light and work your way more abrasive then back down if your not sure. Be very careful with anything that is linked as a rubbing compound, although there may be some overlap.

Contrarian opinion ahead ...

Beadmaker certainly provides a slick glossy surface, but after trying it, I'm not sure it is the right topping for a ceramic coat. Loved the slick way the paint felt and the gloss, but the water shedding, dare I say beading, was far worse than either the ceramic coating itself, or the coating topped with either Reload or Hydro2. While Beadmaker has its uses, the following video matches my experience. Sticking with Reload as I don't see the point of a ceramic topper that degrades the ceramic performance. For me the best part of Beadmaker is that it doesn't last very long.

Car Craft Beadmaker Review
I find beadmaker to work better than the ceramic alone, but it dorsnt last too long at all. It's the sickest finish i have felt so far, but short lived. I'll eventually top back up with reload but i plan to wipe down with reload after washing just because it's so easy to apply and leaves a very slick finish for me. Just but a gallon of it for this purpose. Meanwhile my car is baking outside at the body shop while we have this heatwave :(