Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally received the NJ PSE&G EV BTM $1500.00 rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting a number of months and submitting the required paperwork to the EV portal on the NJ PSE&G website I finally received my $1500 rebate yesterday.
What a nice surprise.
If only Tesla will also surprise me with a VIN number and a delivery date.

Attachments

• PSE&G NJ Rebate IMG_8120.JPG
    PSE&G NJ Rebate IMG_8120.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,020
  • Garage HPWC IMG_8089.JPG
    Garage HPWC IMG_8089.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Love
Reactions: thisisdiddy
I just ordered the Chargepoint Home Flexes. I am assuming you can do all the work first and then fill out the PSEG application correct?
I don't think so if you are doing the work yourself and not using a NJ licensed electrician?

Closely follow the PSE&G rebate instructions

Residential smart charging customers are eligible for:

• Up to $1,500 toward the behind the meter installation of a residential Level 2 charger
  • Up to $5,000 of pole to meter utility service upgrades (if needed)
  • Credit on charging during off-peak periods* to help lower your bill, pending charger approval
  • *Off-peak periods are defined as 9PM-7AM Monday-Friday, and all day Saturday-Sunday

How To Apply & Enroll​

Step 1: Customer reviews Eligibility Requirements and submits an application through the EV Portal
Step 2: Customer will receive an email stating if they qualify for the program they applied for
Step 3: If qualified, the customer will receive the service upgrade form(s). This will need to be completed by your electrician and emailed to [email protected]. This step starts the New Business Process
Step 4: After the EV Charger is installed and the New Business Process is completed, customer will upload all required documents to the EV Portal. Please see the FAQ below for the full list of required documents
Step 5: The PSEG EV Team will review and approve your documents. If a customer is missing information, the EV team will contact the customer and inform them of missing documentation. All documentation must be reviewed by the EV team before moving on to the next steps
Step 6: Once all required documents are received and approved, the EV Team will issue you your BTM incentive as a credit on your bill.
Step 7: Once enrolled in the EV Program, Residential customers utilizing a charger from the PSE&G Approved Charger List (see eligibility requirements above) will be eligible to receive a credit for Charging during off-peak hours (9pm-7am). Once PSEG EV Team begins receiving Charging Data through the Charger, an off-peak credit will be issued on the following monthly bill.

Contact Us​

Please contact us if you have any questions, comments or concerns. We can be reached by email at [email protected], or by phone at 1-800-249-1837.

I am getting the work done by an Electrician. Its just weird the initial application asks for charger installation date before the work has even started.

I am assuming you are supposed to just pick a date to get the work done.

1653718055341.png

just curious what the electrician charged you to do the work.
My Electrician charged me $850 to hard wire my ChargePoint Flex charger into my existing circuit box at 50 amps. Mounted it on the side of my house (don't keep the car in the garage). With the municipal permit fees, my rebate from PSE&G totalled $950 as a credit on my Account. I finally picked up my Model Y Performance today. Can't wait to see how the charger works!

I am getting the work done by an Electrician. Its just weird the initial application asks for charger installation date before the work has even started.

I am assuming you are supposed to just pick a date to get the work done.

View attachment 809701
I would advise you to wait until your electrician has completed the installation. Take a photo of the receipt that shows what you paid for the work. You will also need to take a photo of the permit inspection.
Once you apply to PSE&G after the installation they will send you the load data form that must be filled out by a NJ licensed electrician that did the work,
Closely follow the instructions on the EV Portal after you log into your PSE&G account .

Attachments

• PSE&G Load Data Form IMG_8182.JPG
    PSE&G Load Data Form IMG_8182.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 927
  • Sub Panel Inspection 030222 IMG_7880.JPG
    Sub Panel Inspection 030222 IMG_7880.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 892
just curious what the electrician charged you to do the work.
Everyone's situation is different. I used an electrician recommended by Tesla . My 200 amp breaker is in my basement and the job required approx 150 ft of #2 aluminum 4 conductor cable thru my basement, up to the attic above my garage and then down to a 100 amp sub panel. , install 60 amp breakers and the Tesla wall charger.
It took two men an entire day and the installation was over three thousand dollars
If your breaker box is in your garage your cost will be much less.
Make sure that you use a NJ licensed electrician that will apply for local permits and fill out the necessary load data form if you expect to qualify for the rebate.

Reactions: Luvtoride
After waiting a number of months and submitting the required paperwork to the EV portal on the NJ PSE&G website I finally received my $1500 rebate yesterday.
What a nice surprise.
If only Tesla will also surprise me with a VIN number and a delivery date.
I see you installed Tesla Wall Connector. I thought PSEG NJ only allowed Chargepoint and Juicebox chargers for upto $1,500 rebate. Is this not true anymore? Also what section electrian had to fill in Load form?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought PSEG NJ only allowed Chargepoint and Juicebox chargers for upto $1,500 rebate. Is this not true anymore? Also what section electrian had to fill in Load form?
Thanks.
Your statement is correct. You will not qualify for the PSE&G rebate if you are only submitting the charge for the purchase of the Tesla HPWC that you installed yourself.
For those using a licensed NJ electrician that will file the required local permits and submitting the load data form to PSE&G along with a copy of the paid invoice listing the materials and labor charges for the sub panel, wire and the charge for installing the Tesla HPWC that you will upload to the EV Portal after you log in to your PSE&G account will PSE&G eventually declare you qualified for the rebate.
Log into your PSE&G account, and enter the EV Portal and VERY CLOSELY FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS.

Your statement is correct. You will not qualify for the PSE&G rebate if you are only submitting the charge for the purchase of the Tesla HPWC that you installed yourself.
For those using a licensed NJ electrician that will file the required local permits and submitting the load data form to PSE&G along with a copy of the paid invoice listing the materials and labor charges for the sub panel, wire and the charge for installing the Tesla HPWC that you will upload to the EV Portal after you log in to your PSE&G account will PSE&G eventually declare you qualified for the rebate.
Log into your PSE&G account, and enter the EV Portal and VERY CLOSELY FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONSI was waiting Tesla to be approved charger on their web site but your is confirmed incentive. Thank You.
I was waiting Tesla HPWC listed as approved charger on their web site before hiring electrician. Your's incentive is confirmed and that is what it should be - we will not get discounted electricity rate because Tesla HPWC doesn't have capability as of now to send usage/consumption data to utilities but should qualify for BTM installation incentive. Thank You again.

I just noticed this section on PSEG’s site:
  • The customer must use New Jersey-licensed electricians and/or contractors for EV smart charger installation.
    • Owners of single-family, owner-occupied homes may complete this work themselves in lieu of using a New Jersey-licensed electrician, but are still required to get a permit and pass an inspection in order to be approved.
Electric Vehicle Program - PSE&G

Has anyone DIYed an EV charger and received the credit?

I just noticed this section on PSEG’s site:

Electric Vehicle Program - PSE&G

Has anyone DIYed an EV charger and received the credit?
I don't think so? Thus far I have not seen or read a post that a DIYer has qualified. The NJ licensed electrician must submit a load data form to PSE&G in order to comply with one of their requirements that is specified in their instructions.

Attachments

• PSE&G Load Data Form IMG_8182.JPG
    PSE&G Load Data Form IMG_8182.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 952
Reactions: Luvtoride
I don't think so? Thus far I have not seen or read a post that a DIYer has qualified. The NJ licensed electrician must submit a load data form to PSE&G in order to comply with one of their requirements that is specified in their instructions.
Yea I received the form from PSEG after submitting the first step in the application. I'm not 100% sure how to proceed. I emailed PSEG but I'll probably end up filling out the form myself. I wont require a service upgrade so it should be relatively straightforward.

Looks like homeowner installations are acceptable. The PSEG EV Program Team emailed me back promptly with answers to my questions (bold):
Are there any extra paperwork needed for self installations other than permits/approval?
There in no additional paperwork but please let us know that you have self installed so that we do not inconvenience you by asking for electrician invoicing.
What documents are needed for the credit for materials (wire, L2 charger)?
Please provide any receipts for such equipment which will need to be clearly identified.

Would a subpanel and wiring to and from it be eligible for the credit?
What you have described if it is for what we call make ready which is work to prepare for EV charger to function correctly.

Please also note that all EV projects require a Service Load form. (attached)
The form is required by Construction Inquiry for both new service, and changes to electric load, which includes the installation of an EV Charger. We will need to use this information to ensure that the equipment in the area is adequate to meet in the increased load related to the charger. In most cases, the existing equipment will be adequate as long as a service upgrade isn’t required. But as an example, even if the individual customer’s service meets the new needs, it may be putting undue load on a nearby transformer.

I don't think so if you are doing the work yourself and not using a NJ licensed electrician?

Closely follow the PSE&G rebate instructions

Residential smart charging customers are eligible for:

• Up to $1,500 toward the behind the meter installation of a residential Level 2 charger
  • Up to $5,000 of pole to meter utility service upgrades (if needed)
  • Credit on charging during off-peak periods* to help lower your bill, pending charger approval
  • *Off-peak periods are defined as 9PM-7AM Monday-Friday, and all day Saturday-Sunday

How To Apply & Enroll​

Step 1: Customer reviews Eligibility Requirements and submits an application through the EV Portal
Step 2: Customer will receive an email stating if they qualify for the program they applied for
Step 3: If qualified, the customer will receive the service upgrade form(s). This will need to be completed by your electrician and emailed to [email protected]. This step starts the New Business Process
Step 4: After the EV Charger is installed and the New Business Process is completed, customer will upload all required documents to the EV Portal. Please see the FAQ below for the full list of required documents
Step 5: The PSEG EV Team will review and approve your documents. If a customer is missing information, the EV team will contact the customer and inform them of missing documentation. All documentation must be reviewed by the EV team before moving on to the next steps
Step 6: Once all required documents are received and approved, the EV Team will issue you your BTM incentive as a credit on your bill.
Step 7: Once enrolled in the EV Program, Residential customers utilizing a charger from the PSE&G Approved Charger List (see eligibility requirements above) will be eligible to receive a credit for Charging during off-peak hours (9pm-7am). Once PSEG EV Team begins receiving Charging Data through the Charger, an off-peak credit will be issued on the following monthly bill.

Contact Us​

Please contact us if you have any questions, comments or concerns. We can be reached by email at [email protected], or by phone at 1-800-249-1837.
How long does it take for Business Process Approval after service upgrade form is emailed. I sent the form on 7/24. Called them, that process is still not complete. I believe that’s the main bottleneck of timeline. The EV charger is installed and i have already uploaded all the install invoices and submitted.

How long does it take for Business Process Approval after service upgrade form is emailed. I sent the form on 7/24. Called them, that process is still not complete. I believe that’s the main bottleneck of timeline. The EV charger is installed and i have already uploaded all the install invoices and submitted.

I received an email from PSEG on 7/22 with DWMS job# indicating "We have successfully processed your request for service Adequacy for the install of an Electric Vehicle Charger. Your request has now been referred to the ELECTRIC Division(s) for review and response" - still saying "PREPARING ESTIMATE" with ENGINEERING. I do have 200 amp service so probably no pole-to-meter upgrade required. I am pre-qualified prior to installation. I too completed installation, submitted papers and awaiting approval/credit.

I received an email from PSEG on 7/22 with DWMS job# indicating "We have successfully processed your request for service Adequacy for the install of an Electric Vehicle Charger. Your request has now been referred to the ELECTRIC Division(s) for review and response" - still saying "PREPARING ESTIMATE" with ENGINEERING. I do have 200 amp service so probably no pole-to-meter upgrade required. I too completed installation and submitted papers.
I never got a response from PSEG after submitting papers. On the EV portal it says “qualified” under status.
When did you submit email to constructionnorth?