Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally sat in a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must come from a different baseline. I just came from a BMW 328 (granted, a base model) but the Model 3 interior is vastly superior. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of materials and the feel. The seats felt very good to me and I took 2 groups of people for quick rides and that were very impressed with it. You have to remember that the Model 3 even with premium upgrades will be a $40K car so compare it with a $40k BMW and IMO the Model 3 compares similarly or favorably. The seats definitely are better than my BMW leatherette seats. Again, just my opinion.

Just spent the last 2 days driving a brand new S 75D and I was actually so happy to get my 3 back.
The S is definitely more plush, more busy, and feels much more cramped even though it probably has more interior volume. The seats on the S had more pronounced bolstering compared to the 3 but for some reason I preferred my 3.
The ride was definitely more cushy in the S and was better at isolation of road noises and vibrations but the 3 handled much better and felt like more of a “drivers” car. It felt a little faster at launch but passing power felt the same if not slightly better on the 3.
The interior compartments and center console were quite confusing to use on the S. The 3 is just so simplistic that I think people often associate simple with cheap. I don’t think that’s the case in the 3.
Driving the S it felt large and bulky and way less nimble. That was the biggest difference for me. Navigating in traffic with the S felt like more work due to less visibility all around and felt less responsive to my commands.
If I could sum it up in one sentence I’d say that the 3 is a drivers car and the S is a cruisers car. For long road trips I’d probably prefer the S (although it did have a little less range than the 3). For a daily commute and just getting around town I’d prefer the 3. It just comes down to priorities.

Just spent the last 2 days driving a brand new S 75D and I was actually so happy to get my 3 back.
The S is definitely more plush, more busy, and feels much more cramped even though it probably has more interior volume. The seats on the S had more pronounced bolstering compared to the 3 but for some reason I preferred my 3.
The ride was definitely more cushy in the S and was better at isolation of road noises and vibrations but the 3 handled much better and felt like more of a “drivers” car. It felt a little faster at launch but passing power felt the same if not slightly better on the 3.
The interior compartments and center console were quite confusing to use on the S. The 3 is just so simplistic that I think people often associate simple with cheap. I don’t think that’s the case in the 3.
Driving the S it felt large and bulky and way less nimble. That was the biggest difference for me. Navigating in traffic with the S felt like more work due to less visibility all around and felt less responsive to my commands.
If I could sum it up in one sentence I’d say that the 3 is a drivers car and the S is a cruisers car. For long road trips I’d probably prefer the S (although it did have a little less range than the 3). For a daily commute and just getting around town I’d prefer the 3. It just comes down to priorities.

(Bolding above is mine) My primary concern with the 3 is the ride quality and noise level. The 3 may have better driving dynamics, which I can definitely appreciate, but in the day-to-day slog of commuting and running errands, having a better ride and better road noise isolation can mean a LOT. Indeed, most of us don't get to enjoy corner carving day in and day out, but we would certainly enjoy something quieter and smoother. Those latter two items come into play EVERY SECOND the car is in motion so "sacrificing" them isn't something folks should take lightly. It is also important to note that the Model S doesn't generally score a huge win in road isolation and noise either (compared to cars costing anywhere near as much) so that bar isn't exactly high to begin with.

Reactions: Glamisduner
(Bolding above is mine) My primary concern with the 3 is the ride quality and noise level. The 3 may have better driving dynamics, which I can definitely appreciate, but in the day-to-day slog of commuting and running errands, having a better ride and better road noise isolation can mean a LOT. Indeed, most of us don't get to enjoy corner carving day in and day out, but we would certainly enjoy something quieter and smoother. Those latter two items come into play EVERY SECOND the car is in motion so "sacrificing" them isn't something folks should take lightly. It is also important to note that the Model S doesn't generally score a huge win in road isolation and noise either (compared to cars costing anywhere near as much) so that bar isn't exactly high to begin with.
This is my take on it too. If I want to go crazy driving I tow my RzR XP1000 to the desert where the sky is the limit and engine noise is part of the game. It's easier to push the envelope out there and it has a full roll cage and harnesses and won't likely be totaled if I flip it on it's side. Corner carving is fun, but jumping and carving dunes is even more fun to me, and I probably get to do this more often than "most" people get their 3's on the track.

For my commuter I want comfort, efficiency, and auto pilot with some nice passing power to have a little fun.

I would probably take the S hands down, but will hold off making that call until I drive a 3. S is out of my price range though, even if the wife wants me to get the S or X over the 3.

I'm leaning towards a used P model S from out of state if/when they become available for under 55k (So I can still get carpool lane stickers), and it ends up around the same price as a 3. Is Autopilot 1 still worth getting? Probably looking at a 2013 or 2014 model with the old front end unfortunatly....

I'll probably hold off until I test drive a 3, but lots of complaints about noise and feeling the road which are two things I can do without, and I certainly feel the model S interior is superior to the 3's budget interior (cheap plastics, cheap headliner, even the cup holders are sub par). I'm actually shocked how many people think the 3's interior is better. I have talked to a lot of people not on this forum and so far every person agrees the S interior is far superior, so I know it's not just me despite all the 3's fans posting :)

Your opinion for suitability of a new car is often determined by comparison to the one you are currently driving.

If you are used to driving a Lexus, you might find it to ride a bit harsh. If you are used to a BMW M3 you feel the suspension is pretty lush.

If you are used to a smaller car, you will probably be drawn to the Model 3. If you are used to a larger car, you will favor a Model S.

This is perhaps why we see so many differences in opinion for the Model 3.

I came out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee when I choose my Model X. For me the Tesla rides smoother, corners flatter, has far less head toss, better throttle response, less expensive to fuel, better driving views. Surprising to me, it even does even better for mild off roading (not rock crawling) than the Jeep.

Only thing better on the Jeep is the +500 mile range on it's big tank. I have gotten to appreciate how much better I feel at the end of a long day by stopping once in a while to recharge. The Autopilot also makes longer trips much easier to take.

Well I came from a ford focus titanium hatchback into a chevy volt permier. The volt is mostly better for me (except for not having a spare tire, and the hatch isn't at nice due to less cargo space and less ways to tie things down). More comfortable, quieter, WAY nicer interior, cheaper to fuel. Chevy volt to model 3 interior is a bit of a toss up, but the interior of the volt sure looks allot better than the model 3, seats felt better quality in the volt too and white and black interior matches the exterior just right, but the seats are not power and lack a lumbar adjustment, although the real leather and comfort is still real good. Screen and tech are way better in the 3 (also 5-6 years newer :) ).

But I also drive an old Nissan titan 2005 and an old dodge 3500 also 2005, and often ride in the wifes highlander. I need the right vehicle for the right job. The 3 makes more sense in many ways (cheaper to fuel than a performance S) but the friends 100D I ride in sometimes is very very nice, and also very fast. While I can't get something as nice as a 100D and be responsible, I still think pretty much any S will be more comfortable and luxury than a 3 will be.

But the issues are that I may not be eligible for carpool stickers on in state S's and Autopilot 1, and of course it would be used instead of new so no tax credit, but if I can get one for the same price I feel like it would be the better car for me.

I love Model 3 interior. What I thought at first was not that materials felt cheaper compared to a 5 series BMW or E-class Mercedes (same price range as current M3 version) but that the materials felt lighter, like cutting weight in there was a big factor. Luxury translates to heavy/weighty look and feel? My E-class felt heavy/weighty. That’s not going to work for EVs. ICE you want weighty interior materials you can just slap in a bigger motor and accept less gas mileage.