Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally sat in a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a notice in my email that a model 3 was in at one of the local showrooms so I went to go check it out.

It was nice, but I was hoping for a bit more. It's not that the interior was plain, I quite liked that look of the dash, it was more that the seats and interior felt kinda cheap (other than the wood on the dash). Door handles were not impressive compared to the S or X or even regular door handles but I'd be ok with them.

I found the seats less comfortable than the model S, and I'm not sure they looked like they would hold up well. The cup holders were sub par (hey the little things count!). I did like the phone holder. Anyone had any issues with seat sag? Seats are incredibly important for a commuter car for me, which is why I rejected buying a bolt when I thought the tax credit would get dropped. The seats were miles better than the chevy bolt seats, I was just hoping for something more like the S.

I guess the hard part was that I really enjoyed the interior of the model s allot more. I also noted that the used (140k miles on it) volt I picked up a couple months ago to hold me over delays and ford buying my car back, had a nicer looking interior than the premium model 3. I guess it's subjective, but the leather seats and fit and finish felt better quality in the volt, granted the volt seats have no lumbar or power (but they are comfortable for me). Even my wife found the same thing to be true and noted it before I said anything. So I started looking at the S which had much better seats and interior options. I really want a white or at least a non black interior now after seeing the model 3, there's a difference between dull and minimalist :) I'm not a fan at all of the shiny black plastic (terrible for scratches and wear) which was already showing. Or hard non bland non-textured trim pieces. While my old volt has some shiny interior pieces they are painted in a gloss paint which has apparently held up quite well, since it looked better (most of it) than the showroom car was already displaying. At least use a textured plastic instead of shiny! There were gaps where the interior panels matched up with the headliner etc, like the clips holding them had already failed. Not terrible but not great. I didn't think the headliner not being alcantara would be a big deal, but it made the car feel much more like your typical commuter without it, since the paneling was kind of meh, some alcantara to spruce things up would have been quite nice. I can't fathom how anyone would call out the Model 3's interior to be like a luxury car (although I can see stating that for the S or X). Other than the large touch screen and piece of wood in the dash, there really wasn't much of anything luxury about the interior itself.

The S however is just too expensive for my budget. Once you add the premium package to get heated seats and better sound, heppa filter etc (at nearly the cost of my entire volt which has these things lol) I just have a hard time justifying the price.

I test drove the S (no test drives for the 3 yet, but they might be available before I am up for configuration although thats not looking too good). I wanted to compare the regen to the chevy volt. It was quite a bit different but good in it's own way. I like that the Chevy adds additional regen when using the brakes so you can drive more like the tesla in standard mode mode and still get allot of regen, and I was worried I would not like teslas implementation but it was ok although I'd probably mostly use the heavier regen mode.

I guess I'm much more on the fence now.
Started looking at older model S's but that probably not a very good comparison to the 75D I test drove which had the newest computer (the one that does not lag) etc. I think the newest S's have auto pilot 2.5? The auto pilot was great, and I will be wanting that feature. Older S's are tempting me now, but I'm not sure those would be good comparisons. The new one I test drove has air suspension standard, a faster processor, better autopilot than anything I would be able to get used in the model 3 price range.

So now I want an S but cannot afford one (don't want to stretch my budget that thin when I need other things), and not sure what to do about getting a model 3. I feel like I should certainly test drive one before I configure, but that might be risky for getting the tax incentives.

I'm not a huge fan of touch screen for everything either, I just don't like having my eyes off the road to adjust sliders and other other things. (certainly a big compromise for me.) Where you might have to look quickly to see a button, the button is always there, and if you have to tap it several times, you can do this without looking at it. My volt has too much touch screen too) It will be interesting to see how hard it is to set things on the 3, but I tend to feel it's about as bad as using your phone mounted to the dashboard while driving. You will also likely be responsible for adjusting passengers settings since they have no idea and won't want to interfere with your driving.

I've owned a Model 3 for a couple months and spent a couple days with a P85D loaner a few weeks into that. The Model S felt fast and luxurious but it also felt too big and the interior seemed busy and (gasp) dated. If I were given a Model S for free, I'd sell it to buy a Model 3. It's just a better fit for me and I really dig the interior which feels like elegant simplicity with a bit of mid-century retro-modern thrown in. I did put a matte film over the shiny center console as it was a fingerprint/scratch magnet.

I've now put over 2000 miles on the Model 3, including multiple roads trips of over 200 miles. I've never noticed any discomfort from the seats which is notable as I usually get at least a little bit sore during trips of this length in any car.

Having most controls on the screen is occasionally a minor inconvenience, but not a significant issue. There are a lot of stories from Model 3 owner who were worried about this who changed their minds within a couple days ownership. It's something I worried about too but really it hasn't been an issue for me.

Ultimately it's all subjective. The Model 3 is more efficient and has the most real life range of any Tesla but the Model S will carry more people more comfortably with a lot more cargo space. Beyond that it's all going to be a matter of how the car feels to you.

Last edited:
def hold off on the decision until you have a drive comparison between 3 and S. IMO the 3 is so much more fun to drive than S. It's also my commuter car.

Much of what's in the screen is set-it-and-forget-it. Although being on these forums, I've learned that some people fiddle with air vents multiple times daily, so YMMV. My view is you choose when you want to be distracted by it. Easy to make adjustments at a stop.

Also, not everything is controlled by the touchscreen. All driving essentials: PRND, turns, wipers, EAP, are physical. wiper interval is on the screen but if you use the stalk, the screen brings up the interval settings automatically. Steering wheel and side mirror adjusts are set-once (maybe 2x) and you'll never touch them again. Glovebox.... I've never opened mine since delivery, except to show some friends how the car works. Otherwise it's 2 taps on the screen, and when is it necessary to open it in mid drive?

The touchscreen concern in practice is way overblown. Hard to convince people who haven't driven the car for more than a day. I'm actually not a fan of touchscreens at all because I hate the lack of tactile feedback. But this screen does not require me to take my eyes off the road except for short glances, which I do in "traditional" cars all the time too.

I got a notice in my email that a model 3 was in at one of the local showrooms so I went to go check it out.

It was nice, but I was hoping for a bit more. It's not that the interior was plain, I quite liked that look of the dash, it was more that the seats and interior felt kinda cheap (other than the wood on the dash). Door handles were not impressive compared to the S or X or even regular door handles but I'd be ok with them.

I found the seats less comfortable than the model S, and I'm not sure they looked like they would hold up well. The cup holders were sub par (hey the little things count!). I did like the phone holder. Anyone had any issues with seat sag? Seats are incredibly important for a commuter car for me, which is why I rejected buying a bolt when I thought the tax credit would get dropped. The seats were miles better than the chevy bolt seats, I was just hoping for something more like the S.

I guess the hard part was that I really enjoyed the interior of the model s allot more. I also noted that the used (140k miles on it) volt I picked up a couple months ago to hold me over delays and ford buying my car back, had a nicer looking interior than the premium model 3. I guess it's subjective, but the leather seats and fit and finish felt better quality in the volt, granted the volt seats have no lumbar or power (but they are comfortable for me). Even my wife found the same thing to be true and noted it before I said anything. So I started looking at the S which had much better seats and interior options. I really want a white or at least a non black interior now after seeing the model 3, there's a difference between dull and minimalist :) I'm not a fan at all of the shiny black plastic (terrible for scratches and wear) which was already showing. Or hard non bland non-textured trim pieces. While my old volt has some shiny interior pieces they are painted in a gloss paint which has apparently held up quite well, since it looked better (most of it) than the showroom car was already displaying. At least use a textured plastic instead of shiny! There were gaps where the interior panels matched up with the headliner etc, like the clips holding them had already failed. Not terrible but not great. I didn't think the headliner not being alcantara would be a big deal, but it made the car feel much more like your typical commuter without it, since the paneling was kind of meh, some alcantara to spruce things up would have been quite nice. I can't fathom how anyone would call out the Model 3's interior to be like a luxury car (although I can see stating that for the S or X). Other than the large touch screen and piece of wood in the dash, there really wasn't much of anything luxury about the interior itself.

The S however is just too expensive for my budget. Once you add the premium package to get heated seats and better sound, heppa filter etc (at nearly the cost of my entire volt which has these things lol) I just have a hard time justifying the price.

I test drove the S (no test drives for the 3 yet, but they might be available before I am up for configuration although thats not looking too good). I wanted to compare the regen to the chevy volt. It was quite a bit different but good in it's own way. I like that the Chevy adds additional regen when using the brakes so you can drive more like the tesla in standard mode mode and still get allot of regen, and I was worried I would not like teslas implementation but it was ok although I'd probably mostly use the heavier regen mode.

Started looking at older model S's but that probably not a very good comparison to the 75D I test drove which had the newest computer (the one that does not lag) etc. I think the newest S's have auto pilot 2.5? The auto pilot was great, and I will be wanting that feature. Older S's are tempting me now, but I'm not sure those would be good comparisons. The new one I test drove has air suspension standard, a faster processor, better autopilot than anything I would be able to get used in the model 3 price range.

So now I want an S but cannot afford one (don't want to stretch my budget that thin when I need other things), and not sure what to do about getting a model 3. I feel like I should certainly test drive one before I configure, but that might be risky for getting the tax incentives.

I'm not a huge fan of touch screen for everything either, I just don't like having my eyes off the road to adjust sliders and other other things. (certainly a big compromise for me.) Where you might have to look quickly to see a button, the button is always there, and if you have to tap it several times, you can do this without looking at it. My volt has too much touch screen too) It will be interesting to see how hard it is to set things on the 3, but I tend to feel it's about as bad as using your phone mounted to the dashboard while driving. You will also likely be responsible for adjusting passengers settings since they have no idea and won't want to interfere with your driving.

If I had the same level of doubt about the 3 I just wouldn’t buy it. It’s not for everyone.

I had the same experience when I first sat in a Model 3. The interior felt cheap to me and nowhere near what other cars in the $50k+ price class offer. For me it was one of the main reasons why I cancelled my reservation. I hope they'll put a little more effort into the interior of the Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
You might benefit from extended time with the 3. I have had the 3 for a week and prefer it to the X in nearly every aspect. Only plus for the X is that it can haul more people and way more storage. The binnacle on the X was nice for navigation directions but the 3 having nothing in front gives a nice uncluttered experience. I don't like the X touchscreen as it's further away and I have to bend forwards to reach the screen while in the 3 it's way easier to hit the touchscreen. The 3 is way more efficient and I don't have to charge as often as the 75d X. 3 feels faster, easier to drive/park. I hope the next gen S/X have the air vents and screen like the 3, it might look like a giant tablet and out of place but the ease of use is way better then the X.

Reactions: Finder and liuping
I rented a model 3 for a day off of Turo while on vacation in California. On first sitting in it I was a little underwhelmed by the interior. But, after spending a day with the car, I was 100% sold on the car, regardless of if I was impressed by the interior.

The car is just really nice for driving. Its got great performance, and I found the map and media center a real pleasure to use. It just made driving easier, less stressful, and more enjoyable. At least for me. I recommend renting one if you are able and see if you like it, I wouldn't go just off of the look of the interior.

i'm curious about a 3 as another car for the family and using the 3 for commute - did they fix it so you can control autopilot speed and distance from the steering wheel? That'd be the thing holding me back (S owner)
Yes. Right scroll wheel for both speed and follow distance. Up/down and left/right respectively.

I had the same experience when I first sat in a Model 3. The interior felt cheap to me and nowhere near what other cars in the $50k+ price class offer. For me it was one of the main reasons why I cancelled my reservation. I hope they'll put a little more effort into the interior of the Model Y.
The money is in the battery and drive train! Not the interior. When you step on the accelerator or drive by a gas station the interior seems insignificant in the whole scheme of things. Would you buy a house with a fantastic interior in a really bad neighborhood?

If the model 3 had a luxe interior and a 4 cylinder with a CVT transmission, would you like it better? There are options out there.

The money is in the battery and drive train! Not the interior. When you step on the accelerator or drive by a gas station the interior seems insignificant in the whole scheme of things. Would you buy a house with a fantastic interior in a really bad neighborhood?
No, but I wouldn't buy a house with a crappy interior in a good neighborhood either. ;) I agree that the 3 is fun to drive (I actually did a test drive in a colleague's car), but for that kind of money a want a well-rounded vehicle that doesn't cheap out on anything. I was also underwhelmed by the road noise and the ride quality (although the latter might have been improved by now compared to the Feb. 2018 build that I drove).
If the model 3 had a luxe interior and a 4 cylinder with a CVT transmission, would you like it better? There are options out there.
I just want something with the drive train of the 3, but without the quirks (such as the unreliable entry system, unergonomic door handles and super-low back seats) and with a good quality interior. I don't think that's asking too much.

No, but I wouldn't buy a house with a crappy interior in a good neighborhood either. ;) I agree that the 3 is fun to drive (I actually did a test drive in a colleague's car), but for that kind of money a want a well-rounded vehicle that doesn't cheap out on anything. I was also underwhelmed by the road noise and the ride quality (although the latter might have been improved by now compared to the Feb. 2018 build that I drove).
I just want something with the drive train of the 3, but without the quirks (such as the unreliable entry system, unergonomic door handles and super-low back seats) and with a good quality interior. I don't think that's asking too much.

Nothing comes to mind in cars that match your desires.

• Love
Reactions: Stirfelt

Hang on for Polestar Model 2

One of the Tesla stores local to me got a Model 3 in a few weeks ago. I took my wife to look at the Model 3 and I also went to BMW, Mercedes and Audi to compare what I would be getting at about the $50,000 price point in their offerings.

Technology wise, the interior of the Model 3 relies pretty much completely on the large touchscreen since you have to use it to do nearly everything. I was surprised that they didn't go with wireless charging for a single phone and instead went with a couple of plug in ports for phones that won't fit many phones if they are in cases. By comparison BMW has multiple cars now that offer wireless charging of a phone in the center console area (pretty good location where it won't get knocked around by acceleration when driving) and they also offer wireless car play which works very well.

The interior materials and fit and finish was more along the lines of what I would expect from Ford, GM or maybe Toyota... it definitely wasn't up to the level of what the Germans offer at the $50,000-$60,000 price point where you get real leather, sport seats with bolster adjustments, slide out though support adjustment, choice of about 4-5 different colors of leather and another choice of 4-5 colors for accent color, etc. The Model 3 seats were just okay... not especially supportive... the rear seat was pretty poor, felt like I was sitting on the floor with my knees in the air and I'm only 5'10".

Still a pretty good chance I'm ordering a Model 3 Dual Motor when my slot comes up in the next few weeks... $12,500 in fed and state tax credits are a pretty powerful motivator.

• Informative
You might benefit from extended time with the 3. I have had the 3 for a week and prefer it to the X in nearly every aspect. Only plus for the X is that it can haul more people and way more storage. The binnacle on the X was nice for navigation directions but the 3 having nothing in front gives a nice uncluttered experience. I don't like the X touchscreen as it's further away and I have to bend forwards to reach the screen while in the 3 it's way easier to hit the touchscreen. The 3 is way more efficient and I don't have to charge as often as the 75d X. 3 feels faster, easier to drive/park. I hope the next gen S/X have the air vents and screen like the 3, it might look like a giant tablet and out of place but the ease of use is way better then the X.
In total agreement with you. I have an X, sat in a model 3 for the first time today. I was pleasantly surprised after hearing everyone say how cheap the interior was. Very minimalist - but solid. Seat was comfortable. Touch screen interface seemed fine to me - very fresh feeling compared to the 17 inch setup on the S/X. Extremely responsive too. Head room much better than the S. Like the glass roof better as well.

Convenience features were nice too - storage, etc. I also really liked the feel of the handles and how they opened and closed. The buttons to get out of the car - also very cool.

I think it comes down to what is important to you. I have never been wowed by extravagant interiors. They are nice, but they really need to suit your style.

I liked the 3 interior as much or better than my X. Like it much better than the S overall - which is in need of an interior update. The S is a beautiful car - don’t get me wrong... but you can tell the interior design is starting to show its age compared to the X or the 3. Was in a founders Model S loaner a while back and was surprised how little has changed with the interior between a 2012 model S (VIN 700) versus a brand new Model S 100D I drove recently.

With the performance model just being released, I am not sure why anyone would get a Model S 75D unless they really want a bigger car. This is coming from someone who just ordered a P3D though - so my opinion may be skewed a bit. Even heard some sales people today talk about how the 75 might get discontinued - which was interesting. P100D obviously in another class though.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I also had a model 3 reservation and fully intended to buy one as a commuter car. However the first time i sat in one i felt exactly the same way as you. The seats felt uncomfortable and the interior felt cheap to me. The single screen for control of all things irritated me. It was nothing like the much nicer interior and interface of the model S sitting right next to it in the showroom. Or even a 3 series, c class or an a4. I documented this dilemma in another thread here.

It felt silly to spend 30k more on a car that is pretty similar in function though so i rented one since everyone said it was such an awesome car. After i rented it i disliked it even more. Little things like rough ride quality, poor rear visibility, overcomplicated hvac and radio controls, silly door handles, small storage space, scratch attracting center console, push button door exits and worst of all no key fob and the stupid STUPID keycard (it was a rental so i didnt have the phone unlock) made me dislike it oh so much more. I ended up placing an order for an S immediately after i returned the model 3. (changed to X later but that's another story)

I believe the 3 is a very good car for some but not everyone. I personally believe it could be a lot better but most people seem to enjoy their 3 a lot so i will leave it at that. I would rent one to drive and if you feel it is a compromise then i would go with something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: xyeahtony
I also had a model 3 reservation and fully intended to buy one as a commuter car. However the first time i sat in one i felt exactly the same way as you. The seats felt uncomfortable and the interior felt cheap to me. The single screen for control of all things irritated me. It was nothing like the much nicer interior and interface of the model S sitting right next to it in the showroom. Or even a 3 series, c class or an a4. I documented this dilemma in another thread here.

It felt silly to spend 30k more on a car that is pretty similar in function though so i rented one since everyone said it was such an awesome car. After i rented it i disliked it even more. Little things like rough ride quality, poor rear visibility, overcomplicated hvac and radio controls, silly door handles, small storage space, scratch attracting center console, push button door exits and worst of all no key fob and the stupid STUPID keycard (it was a rental so i didnt have the phone unlock) made me dislike it oh so much more. I ended up placing an order for an S immediately after i returned the model 3. (changed to X later but that's another story)

I believe the 3 is a very good car for some but not everyone. I personally believe it could be a lot better but most people seem to enjoy their 3 a lot so i will leave it at that. I would rent one to drive and if you feel it is a compromise then i would go with something else.

Everyone has their own preference but I strongly feel people have a bias of the X and S being superior. Most are owners and trying to justify their original purchase. I have both and even if price was equal I'd pick the 3 over a x and the s. X feels too heavy and the interface is way behind the ease of use of the 3. The falcon wing doors are cool when they work but they have hit me and my trash cans and objects. I love the body style of the S and it's long hood and long trunk appearance but functionality needs to be improved. No storage and door compartments, vanity mirrors are inferior and no coat hooks. These need to be added asap before if can be considered a high end luxury car. Not worth the $40k premium after adding options. BMW and Mercedes have top of the line tech incomparing their 3 vs 7 or c vs s but the S vs 3 feels like the S is a downgrade at this point and time.

Reactions: AUSinator
Totally understand why you felt the way you do. The feeling I get sitting in the Model 3 is similar to sitting in my old Acura Integra or the RSX league of cars that are sportier with tougher seats and a harder ride. Sitting in the Model S reminds me of sitting in the luxury cars where seats are cushy, ride is soft, and everything emits comfort and quality.

And that is exactly why I love my Model 3 over the S. Though I'm old enough to be a dad, I still love driving in something that doesn't feel like "my dad's car". It's a stupid analogy but I actually want that performance oriented feel, trading off some comfort for a stiffer ride is what I wanted in the first place. I'm also a sucker for experiencing everything cutting edge and the model 3's interior is perfect for geeks like me. Once I got used to voice controls and other shortcuts, the lack of buttons and knobs actually bring a smile on my face when I sit in the car.

One day I will want to swim in comfort and be in the same camp as you, but for now I'm loving my 3.

Reactions: Finder and goto10
So interesting how peoples' viewpoints can be so varied about the same things.

We have an Audi hybrid in the family and it's a very nice car. I much prefer the 3 (also a bit of a pure e-car bias) though. I like the door handles, easy to use though admittedly the first time expectation of auto-presenting handles might confuse some, I prefer them not being power (less things to break). I actually wish the charge door wasn't so "clever"..

Seats are great too, for me. The thing that bothers me most about the touch screen is the wiper controls, annoying compared to a simple stalk. But then again, it doesn't rain much here in Ca where I am..

Luxury for me in this car is the uncluttered feel, the strong acceleration and surprisingly, the sound system (better than I expected). And for the size of the car (large to me, I generally have much smaller cars) how well it handles.

Get what you love, if you can :)